Running speed in and out of combat

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: crazymofo.6217

crazymofo.6217

I’m not sure if this is a bug or not but when we’re in combat with no debuffs and not even making contact with an enemy, we slow down. We only go back to normal running speed when we’re out of combat. Is this working as intended? If so, I don’t quite understand why that should happen.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It is working as intended. Being in-combat triggers several mechanics.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I would like to ask if these mechanics indicated in any way, in terms of icons on your status bar? Or, are there any conditions that might slow you down and NOT appear as icons?

I ask because, even out of combat, I find myself running at varying speeds sometimes, and no chill effect is apparent. It’s like something is effecting me but it’s not clear what.

Posted by: crazymofo.6217

crazymofo.6217

Yah I’d like to know as well. I don’t see ANY indication of why I’m slowed down other than being in combat. I understand there are hidden mechanics while in combat such as cooldowns, regenerations, etc. but it seems like altered running speed should have some indication shown with a debuff icon as it usually does when an enemy has caused it (chilled, crippled, etc.).

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

It’s easy enough to tell you are in combat by looking at your skill bar and how it’s locked and has some type of way effect around it (a yello haze). Then you know you should be running slower.

(edited by Andraus.3874)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

• You can tell if you’re in combat by whether you get the combat haze (not visible at certain video settings) and whether you get the ‘triangle’ indicating you can change skills.
  • You go into ‘combat’ mode any time you or your pet(s) take damage, including falling damage even when no foes are around. (Typically, ranger pets shouldn’t put you in combat unless you direct them to attack.)
  • With auto-attacking on, certain skills will put you in combat, as your character ‘thinks’ that you wish to initiate an attack.
  • A number of skills change their behaviors when in|out of combat, which is why this mechanic is so unforgiving.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Movement_speed
it’s a 40% reduction to forward movement speed when in combat (not side or back)
it’s so that, when you’re in combat, you have to deal with it instead of just running away.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

it’s a 40% reduction to forward movement speed when in combat (not side or back)
it’s so that, when you’re in combat, you have to deal with it instead of just running away.

Is that officially anet’s goal? The wiki states the outcome but not the reason. I would really like to know their rationale behind this. Does forcing your players to fight (even if, perhaps, they don’t want to in some circumstance) really make the game more enjoyable? Considering how many options there are for escaping from a fight, nerfing the speed seems kludgy and kind of a punishment for engaging in the activity, rather than rewarding it in some way which would encourage people to stay in the fight longer.

(edited by Zoltar MacRoth.7146)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Is that officially anet’s goal? The wiki states the outcome but not the reason. I would really like to know their rationale behind this. Does forcing your players to fight (even if, perhaps, they don’t want to in some circumstance) really make the game more enjoyable? Considering how many options there are for escaping from a fight, nerfing the speed seems kludgy and kind of a punishment for engaging in the activity, rather than rewarding it in some way which would encourage people to stay in the fight longer.

Yes, that’s pretty much the reason. The idea is, if you don’t want to fight, stay out of combat (turn off auto-attack, avoid foes, be careful on slopes, …).

The alternative would be slowing down movement speed overall — the current out-of-combat speed is far too fast for combat. And that would be much less fun than the status quo.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

it’s what I assume is the reason.
there are many times in wvw when a lone player runs from a large zerg. they usually do fine until someone gets them in combat. then all the others are able to catch up.
kinda like life, too: injured, can’t run as fast, limping a little. might be fun to be more realistic: hurt in the arm? deal less dmg when attacking, hurt in the leg? slower run speed, etc.

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

Revenant Shiro on demand superspeed ftw. Great for that world traveler who wants to just run through enemies on the way to an objective without being slowed by combat aggro.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

kinda like life, too: injured, can’t run as fast, limping a little. might be fun to be more realistic: hurt in the arm? deal less dmg when attacking, hurt in the leg? slower run speed, etc.

That’s an astute rationalisation. I like your idea too though with the caveat that I’d expect there to also be some chance that a hit would be only grazing and have no effect, to be realistic.

Yes, that’s pretty much the reason. The idea is, if you don’t want to fight, stay out of combat (turn off auto-attack, avoid foes, be careful on slopes, …).

If only… but sadly that’s almost impossible (perhaps if enemies had circles around them to indicate their range of observation/attack…) especially on jp’s where it’s designed for enemies to hit you in mid-air, requiring you to stop and kill them before moving on, which breaks the flow of the jp and becomes quickly frustrating when they respawn. I like jps but I find the parts where I have to deal with enemies on them are the least enjoyable and takes away, at least for me, from an otherwise fantastic parkour experience.

The alternative would be slowing down movement speed overall — the current out-of-combat speed is far too fast for combat. And that would be much less fun than the status quo.

Hmm…point taken. So how about an alternative: keep the slow-down, but make out-of-combat speed faster, so we can get around quicker when we’re not fighting.

Revenant Shiro on demand superspeed ftw. Great for that world traveler who wants to just run through enemies on the way to an objective without being slowed by combat aggro.

Oh well, so much for consistency. Apparently, some professions don’t have to stop and deal with aggro. :/

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

You can’t spam superspeed on that, and if it does allow it at HoT release, it’s a bug. Closest thing to spamming it, is ele, or scrapper (depending on the cooldown on that trait).