Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Forum bug.

Silverwaste Drop Issue: Bug? Nerf?

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

People, people, people.

You have a legitimate question, all of you. But some of you are going off the rails with a really high level of snarkiness, grumpiness, and general unpleasantness.

I have asked around, and after some discussion amongst teams, we think we may understand what happened. What you want (need) to know is this: The change to the Silverwastes drops was not intentional, and it will be corrected.

If you could please avoid the name-calling and the other tin-foil hat comments, I’d appreciate it. I can get down into core issues a lot more quickly, save myself a pair of permanently-raised eyebrows, and save my team members another muttered “Oh really, you guys?” if you just ask the question straight up and let us get you an answer!

Thanks! And I’ll update when we have more info!

How close is the dev team to leaving in such “nerfs” just to rightfully spite a segment of this game’s community?

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Not an official statement, just a personal feeling here, because honestly, I feel I must…

I really don’t care what “reasons” someone feels they have for posting comments that include insults, name-calling, accusations (now known to be completely untrue!), or “justifications” for going off the rails.

We are all human beings. Human beings make mistakes, sure. But a human being is writing to you now, and several other human beings assessed this situation, another has already worked up the fix for this, and yet another will hit the button that will implement that fix.

We want to make you happy, and part of that is working with you to identify and correct the bugs we’re able to fix. Pointing to another issue, pointing to a disagreement about a BLTC offering, comments such as “Yeah, but this other time…” have no place in a reasonable conversation.

I believe this community can do better. No, I know we can.

Oh I know people need to calm down and give their criticism without resorting to insults. That doesn’t help anyone and just hurts people. It’s easy to go down that route though when you are anonymous on the internet. People need to be reminded that these are real people we are dealing with. Was just pointing out why I think people seem extra angry today.

I mean, I’m really angry about the untradeable thing myself but I’m trying my best to stay as civil as possible despite that. With this SW thing try to figure things out first before jumping to conclusions and calling it a nerf. Now we’ve already been told it’s not intended and people can calm down a bit.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

How close is the dev team to leaving in such “nerfs” just to rightfully spite a segment of this game’s community?

Not close at all. Our devs are professionals, and they want what’s best for the game and the community at large. I think I understand what you’re asking, but honestly, we try very hard to look beyond the form of messaging to the content, and we work with that as much as possible.

My comments were, again, on a personal level. I do believe our community is the best in the business, but I recognize also that sometimes some players lose sight of the big picture, and sometimes they post imprudently or impulsively and I just firmly believe we can do better, as a whole.

Bottom line: I’m asking everyone to try very hard to share input, feedback, even complaints (and yes, we do allow those ) in the most meaningful way possible. I know I might use “constructive” a lot, but really, that’s what it’s all about!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

Oh I know people need to calm down and give their criticism without resorting to insults. That doesn’t help anyone and just hurts people. It’s easy to go down that route though when you are anonymous on the internet. People need to be reminded that these are real people we are dealing with. Was just pointing out why I think people seem extra angry today.

I mean, I’m really angry about the untradeable thing myself but I’m trying my best to stay as civil as possible despite that. With this SW thing try to figure things out first before jumping to conclusions and calling it a nerf. Now we’ve already been told it’s not intended and people can calm down a bit.

Except it really shouldn’t be a “try” thing. People just need to be more civilized. Stating reasons why you think others, or yourself depending on the situation, are angry is no reason to behave like how some people in this thread and the untradeable weapon skins thread are/were behaving. It’s childish and immature.

No one here doesn’t understand that we are humans, that we make mistakes, and that sometimes we receive bad news that makes us angry. What is not ok is to use that as a means to lash out at others in the ways being shown in these two threads. I know for a fact if I were to walk into work tomorrow with the same attitude that is being displayed on the forums, I would just go ahead and pack up my stuff because my boss would fire me on the spot for acting like a child on a temper tantrum.

Aidan Savage.2078

You understood enough Gaile Though I believe some Buddhist temples want their monks back once in a while :P

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

I totally agree with you, Gaile, on the namecalling. That is uncalled for. However, given the track record of some of yourcompany’s decisions. I can understand people jumping to conclusions.

You tell us that the legendary journey has been put on indefinite hold because you are “stretched too thin” while 70 employees are working on the NEXT expansion(yes, we haven’t forgot) gutted core content and put it behind HoT(guild boons, fractal rewards, guild influence was made virtually worthless) Just some examples….

Please, let’s not be to sanctimonious about the forums. You criticized the posters who made a mistake in their “tinfoil” hat theories. The theories came about because of the mistakes of your programmers. Everyone is entitled to mistakes though right?

There is no room for calling names. There should be room for customers stating their opinions whether they are mistaken or not. After all it is a forum.

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

I totally agree with you, Gaile, on the namecalling. That is uncalled for. However, given the track record of some of yourcompany’s decisions. I can understand people jumping to conclusions.

You tell us that the legendary journey has been put on indefinite hold because you are “stretched too thin” while 70 employees are working on the NEXT expansion(yes, we haven’t forgot) gutted core content and put it behind HoT(guild boons, fractal rewards, guild influence was made virtually worthless) Just some examples….

Please, let’s not be to sanctimonious about the forums. You criticized the posters who made a mistake in their “tinfoil” hat theories. The theories came about because of the mistakes of your programmers. Everyone is entitled to mistakes though right?

There is no room for calling names. There should be room for customers stating their opinions whether they are mistaken or not. After all it is a forum.

nods Well said. I’ve posted essentially the same thing a few times myself.

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

Posted by: Javonovich.5280

Javonovich.5280

Not close at all. Our devs are professionals, and they want what’s best for the game and the community at large. I think I understand what you’re asking, but honestly, we try very hard to look beyond the form of messaging to the content, and we work with that as much as possible.

My comments were, again, on a personal level. I do believe our community is the best in the business, but I recognize also that sometimes some players lose sight of the big picture, and sometimes they post imprudently or impulsively and I just firmly believe we can do better, as a whole.

Bottom line: I’m asking everyone to try very hard to share input, feedback, even complaints (and yes, we do allow those ) in the most meaningful way possible. I know I might use “constructive” a lot, but really, that’s what it’s all about!

Look, I’ve been around since before the beginning—when GW2 was beta testing. This community started strong and then communication issues started happening. That’s NOT the players’ fault. And it’s not the players’ fault that they believe the only way to get attention to real issues is through toxic forum posts.

So I’m glad you’re setting a great example for people of what conduct should look like on the forums. But if you want the GW2 community to improve, it needs to happen because there is mutual trust between ANET and its player base. Right now, it’s not there. And while in the past ANET has sworn to give its players better communication, that just hasn’t happened.

I’m hearing a great deal of frustration. Between class balance, build diversity, more raid content, and today’s patch with skins that can only be obtained through MORE rng, I can see how this bug could bring players to their breaking point. Now Im not excusing toxicity; there’s a forum code of conduct, and it’s there for a reason. But asking players to ignore all the underlying reasons for that toxicity—most of which is ANET’s doing through its own inability to model GOOD communication—is a low blow.

So please keep up the good work and spread the message to your colleagues, too.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Hey. Is there any chance you were testing changes to the map to use the cool participation+ Hero’s choice reward method using in Hot maps, moving part of the rewards to the system, and some of the changes slipped to live?

Because that would be great news, bugs and all, if that means we’ll eventually have the Hero’s Choice system in other maps.

Imagine participating in enough events in Ogre Wars, and instead getting just the same boring couple of rares as always, getting a Hero’s Choice chest that lets you choose between the usual two rares, a stack of 15…50 T3 leather, a rare material like a silver doubloon, a core or a crest; or an stacking trophy that you can exchange for an account-bound exotic Sam after you’ve gathered enough of them. All good choices, you can’t get everything so no excess rewards are produced, but you can aim for what you want.

That’s the beauty of the Hero’s Choice chests. One of the best things you’ve come up with over the years. Second only to limited stock vendors.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

Look, I’ve been around since before the beginning—when GW2 was beta testing. This community started strong and then communication issues started happening. That’s NOT the players’ fault. And it’s not the players’ fault that they believe the only way to get attention to real issues is through toxic forum posts.

So I’m glad you’re setting a great example for people of what conduct should look like on the forums. But if you want the GW2 community to improve, it needs to happen because there is mutual trust between ANET and its player base. Right now, it’s not there. And while in the past ANET has sworn to give its players better communication, that just hasn’t happened.

I’m hearing a great deal of frustration. Between class balance, build diversity, more raid content, and today’s patch with skins that can only be obtained through MORE rng, I can see how this bug could bring players to their breaking point. Now Im not excusing toxicity; there’s a forum code of conduct, and it’s there for a reason. But asking players to ignore all the underlying reasons for that toxicity—most of which is ANET’s doing through its own inability to model GOOD communication—is a low blow.

So please keep up the good work and spread the message to your colleagues, too.

A lot of truth in this. When there is a lack of trust people will always be on the defensive and on the lookout for any sign of further breach of that. It is not the community’s fault things are like they are with people upset and frustrated. This outrage wasn’t just about the Silverwastes possibly getting nerfed either.

Posted by: mia.8209

mia.8209

Official Statement:

The most recent information we have is this bug has been identified and a fix has been made in the development setting. We believe this fix will roll out very soon, perhaps as soon as tomorrow. It is not possible to correct the issue today, so we appreciate your patience on this.

Thanks for the information! Will the limited availability of the Phoenix glider be extended in light of this (pretty major) unintended nerf to gold making? 2 days is not a lot of time to make the gold needed for it especially with gold-to-gem rates spiking (yet again).

Aidan Savage.2078

Official Statement:

The most recent information we have is this bug has been identified and a fix has been made in the development setting. We believe this fix will roll out very soon, perhaps as soon as tomorrow. It is not possible to correct the issue today, so we appreciate your patience on this.

Thanks for the information! Will the limited availability of the Phoenix glider be extended in light of this (pretty major) unintended nerf to gold making? 2 days is not a lot of time to make the gold needed for it especially with gold-to-gem rates spiking (yet again).

Not likely when it wasnt the SW meta-event that produced the best gold from that map. It was the chest farm and pacman. Even that is outweighed by AB when you’re fast enough to hop maps like a madman.

Posted by: mia.8209

mia.8209

Official Statement:

Not likely when it wasnt the SW meta-event that produced the best gold from that map. It was the chest farm and pacman. Even that is outweighed by AB when you’re fast enough to hop maps like a madman.

Last I heard the event farm was the most profitable (with map bonus boost and rotation tactic), followed by chest farm – which is grindy even as far as gold farming goes – with pacman only really being worth while when you have a ton of keys saved. And with AB only being worth doing for the big meta which is every 2 hours.

Could have changed though – I miss having a reliable community/blog/resource for gold farming for GW2 like WoW has, as it is news about the latest gold farm techniques travels pretty slow.

(edited by mia.8209)

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Since we know this is a bug, and that it’s on the way to being corrected, I’m going to move this to the Bugs Sub-Forum and merge two threads.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet