Skill Points/Leveling after recent update

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: ChaosQueen.8960

ChaosQueen.8960

I performed my daily achievements today, one of which was for skill points. It became quickly apparent that the skill points I am used to receiving upon leveling were no longer being awarded.

I did not remember seeing this in the update log for the changes occurring and was wondering if this was meant to be or a bug of some kind. I leveled 3 times between 2 characters to confirm the issue.

My main concern is that last I knew there are certain items that require many skill points as currency to buy, and no where near enough to buy them via normal map completion. Please either fix this bug, or let us know how we can make up the difference for the lack of skill points.

Posted by: Firseal.4716

Firseal.4716

I as well am not getting skill points for leveling, and wonder if this is intentional or a bug.

ChaosQueen.8960

Thank you Firseal, I was unsure if it was only me. But again if it was intentional it should have been in the patch notes.

Posted by: Caete.8952

Caete.8952

I “leveled” twice on my 80 necro and each time gained a skill point. The only way I knew I had was by checking how many I had before leveling. There is no pop up notification now when it happens.

Firseal.4716

Try leveling on a non-level 80. I got no skill points for three levels (Been on a level 70, who is now level 73 Warrior). It doesn’t affect level 80s – several in my guild confirmed this. But apparently on top of all the other nonsense with leveling, skill points aren’t being awarded, either through a bug or a really bad idea. And I am desperately hoping bug.

Posted by: Gilgalas.7860

Gilgalas.7860

From my own tests leveling a new character, it seems that the new system does not allow one skill point for every level earned. For example, using a lvl 20 scroll on a lvl 1 character, I only got 8 skill points, received as a +2 bonus and a +6 bonus through the level up reward window.

Be it intended as a part of the new system or a bug, it seems to me that, at the moment, leveling up while not 80 does not per se award a skill point.

ChaosQueen.8960

So we have verified that the under 80’s are not getting skill points to level, but the ones that are already 80 are. So the question becomes do the lower levels who become 80 start getting skill points on leveling.

And yes I had checked my SP amount before and after leveling before posting this thread.

Firseal.4716

So this may be a bug only in the way that the entire poorly thought out new leveling system is a bug. Great.
Still reporting it as a bug, because god knows it is a problem that needs to be fixed.

ChaosQueen.8960

I was thinking that it is a bug because it was not listed as intended on the patch update, and also that the new leveling bonuses might have unintentionally suppressed the skill points. At least that is my hope. I was also thinking posting here was the best way to get more information on the details for how it is presently working/not working. As well as the best way of bringing this, if unintentional to the attention of the powers that be who might be able to do something to fix it.

Posted by: Kvnsa.4219

Kvnsa.4219

My warrior level up from 56 to 60 after the update but receive no skill point too, the only skill point I can get is from the skill challenge.

It’s getting more frustrated after the update.

Posted by: Kyuuketsuki.2675

Kyuuketsuki.2675

Same happened to me. I also noticed the skill “bug” while doing daily achievement. I leveled from 75 to 79 with my engineer and no skill points. I asked on Lion’s Arch map chat and I was told by few players that apparently the new system doesn’t give skill points the same way, it gives them at some specific level (no idea what levels) and bunch at the time.

I also talked to my friend about this, and he said that he got skill points with leveling his level 80 character.

I’ve tried to find out about this new skill point thing for hours now and couldn’t find any information about it from gw2 page. There is no information on the patch notes,so in my eyes, this is really annoying and bad bug. Or mistake from the person who wrote the patch notes.

I hope we could get some kind of an answer to this ’cause this is really frustrating.

“Getting stuck inside a wall is a skill no one needs…”

Posted by: shadrach.3104

shadrach.3104

I have the same problem and also I cannot even complete skill challenges or “Commune with this place of power.” Zero skill points. Hope to hear about this soon.

Posted by: Sgloomi.4103

Sgloomi.4103

Skill points are being dished out differently now. At whatever levels they are, you get 8 SP’s in one go. You don’t get 1 per level anymore, when levelling up.

Also, you have to be a certain level to unlock getting interactive SP’s. (I noticed that with my new char after the patch, when the info came up, but I don’t recall which level that is.)

ChaosQueen.8960

Kyuuketsuki you have a character that was not 80 before the update but OH SO CLOSE now, can you please level to 80 and see if you start getting the skill points each level?

shadrach.3104

Sgloomi, That’s fine if there was a change, but I feel that a change that drastic would have been mention in patch notes and I see nothing about it.

Posted by: Castrin.8972

Castrin.8972

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Level_rewards

Just to help all out. Skill points are given out in batches now.

No, it wasn’t mentioned in the patch notes afaik.

Peace.

Grandmaster
Order of the Empyrean Shield [OES]

shadrach.3104

Castrin, thanks for clarifying. This is a really terrible change. No skill options until level 20. Makes me not want to bother really.

Kyuuketsuki.2675

Kyuuketsuki you have a character that was not 80 before the update but OH SO CLOSE now, can you please level to 80 and see if you start getting the skill points each level?

I did level to 80, got 6 skill points from it. Then I leveled again and got 1 skill point. Hopefully when you are lvl 80 and level up, you always get that one skill point.

ChaosQueen.8960

Kyuuketsuki.2675 Thank you so much, That really makes me so much happier about the entire mess. I still think they should have published this is the update notes, but for those who want to build legendary weapons for instance this still leaves us hope.

Posted by: Tiasguitas.4163

Tiasguitas.4163

from what i heard, this new lvling system, the unlock skills per lvl, no skill points at start, etc is intended to happen only to the first character of the account, so alts dont have to pass trough that. see it as a tutorial lvling. however its bugged but anet said theyre working on a fix, and should be normal next week

Posted by: Doghouse.1562

Doghouse.1562

Castrin, thanks for clarifying. This is a really terrible change. No skill options until level 20. Makes me not want to bother really.

Ignoring whether the change is basically good or bad (it’s obviously different, and I’m not convinced, but I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt until I’ve levelled a character under it) – it looks to have possibly also broken what used to be a fundamental levelling concept for new players – namely map completion.

My level 10 alt is currently working her way through Queensdale (still showing as “1-15”). She can’t see Skill Challenges on the maps, and can’t claim them when she gets to them – she just gets a few lines of blurb, a cancel button and the text “I’ll come back later”. Her Queensdale Completion stats still show Skill Challenges though (firmly stuck at 0/7, obviously). So, even assuming she takes until level 15 to do everything in the zone that she CAN do (which, in my experience, is rare), she’ll be moving on before she can claim them and complete the map (and without the XP from completing it, to boot). And if I want to complete the map, she’ll have to interupt the flow of what she’s doing, and come back later. I have to assume that the other starting zones are similarly impacted. Frankly, that’s downright ugly, awkward, and all in all, NOT very clever!

Edit: My character became able to see Skill Challenges on the map, and interact with them, at level 14. And the “next level rewards” tip for level 14 flagged “Area Completion” as becoming available at level 15. So I owe Anet an apology; looks like it’s more or less working as you’d hope (given the level advancement changes).

(edited by Doghouse.1562)

Kyuuketsuki.2675

The problem I noticed with my friend is with new characters, for some reason when you are trying to complete maps, the game doesn’t show all the tasks. I have characters that have the whole world map completion done and I know where tasks (heart events) are supposed to be. I was running on Wayfarer foothills, level 1 -15 map, and some of the tasks just won’t pop up with my new character, same happened to my friend. I have to say that on this update, Anet made a mistake, this whole new “better” way of teaching new players is only confusing and full of bugs.

Posted by: Doghouse.1562

Doghouse.1562

The problem I noticed with my friend is with new characters, for some reason when you are trying to complete maps, the game doesn’t show all the tasks. I have characters that have the whole world map completion done and I know where tasks (heart events) are supposed to be. I was running on Wayfarer foothills, level 1 -15 map, and some of the tasks just won’t pop up with my new character, same happened to my friend. I have to say that on this update, Anet made a mistake, this whole new “better” way of teaching new players is only confusing and full of bugs.

At least one of the hearts in Wayfarer Foothills has been moved (the rabbit-food event is now down near the entrance to the northern half of the area, rather than up above). The same may be true of others, I guess?

Kyuuketsuki.2675

I figured out the missing task, there used to be task at the bottom of the Wayfarer foothills, you go in cave where the vista is. That task was apparently taken out totally ’cause me and my friend finished the whole map with our new characters. Also there is 2 new tasks added to Plains of Ashford and one new at Caledon forest.