Skills stop working - really common bug.

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Sini.6510

Sini.6510

using an item in your inventory that creates a bundle or changes your skill bar (like musical instruments, spiky fruit, etc.), being downed, or sometimes swapping in a new weapon from your inventory will fix the issue.

Maybe swapping to town clothes and back quickly would be the easiest solution for those affected.

Posted by: Ogcali.6108

Ogcali.6108

Happening to me as well.

Posted by: BlackYam.5264

BlackYam.5264

Yeah… this has been a problem for a good while i remember it being around before wintersday glitching me out in WvW. It stops you from using any skills which require time to cast, so any instant cast skills work. ie. blink and some other utilities work. Unlike the weapon glitch you can still switch weps while glitched and you can only seem to remove the glitch by either logging out or downing.

Posted by: Mor The Thief.9135

Mor The Thief.9135

Well I had this bug as well with my thief.
It was the first time it happened to me(other than skill lag) that I couldn’t use any skills.
However I managed to use skills that DIDN’T have any animations that the character had to do such as Signets and the Steal skill(other skills with no cast time didn’t work, couldn’t use the stolen skill).
Maybe it has something to do with character animations?
I managed to fix that problem by getting into the downed state, but using waypoints(at the same map at least) and swapping weapons didn’t fix it.

Posted by: Creasul Helmgart.6103

Creasul Helmgart.6103

yep, that keeps happening to me too. especially often in overflows or large zerg groups

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

So far I’ve got this anywhere in the world, with any character when the timers start. The only ways to fix it seem to be going back to character selection, using a waypoint or getting knocked down by an enemy and recover.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

Bampin’ this. It happened to me yesterday at a very inopportune time. Hope you guys are lookin’ into this; this bug’s been in the game for months.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: Cathgar.7581

Cathgar.7581

Have the DEVS even acknowledged this problem yet?

Posted by: MauricioCezar.2673

MauricioCezar.2673

Happens a lot to me lately in zerg battles. Mainly in marionette.

Ping goes up to 2 minutes sometimes, and it was always well until around of 2 weeks ago.

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

It is to do with failing to pick up an object off the ground, either due to moving or someone else picking it up first. It happened CONSTANTLY with the snowballs.

Posted by: Zamora.1843

Zamora.1843

The following BUG happens from time to time.

Greatsword, Longbow and Shortbow skills are disabled, pressing any of the 1 through 0 keys does nothing! I can use an arrow cart when doing Origins of Madness in Lornar’s Pass though. Pressing “F1-F3” works. The repair hammer does nothing as well. This happened several times already, after the event (or death) the skills work again. This BUG needs to be fixed. Swapping weapons does not effect this BUG.

It happened again doing the wurm event in Bloodtide.

Posted by: talasomething.4659

talasomething.4659

Bump.. It JUST happened again during the Marionette event. Tried all suggestions with weapon swapping to way pointing and nothing helped. After we lost the event I tried to log to character screen and log back in and it was fixed.

Does anyone know if you can log out during the event and log back in to complete it?

Posted by: poebel.4780

poebel.4780

Does anyone know if you can log out during the event and log back in to complete it?

You can try that, but you’ll face the following problems:
- You need to get to the same server/overflow (very unlikely for living story events if you are not in a party)
- You have to participate in the event after you logged in again to get any rewards, everything you’ve done before relogging will not be considered by the game.

EDIT:
I’ve got theis bug several times now during the marionette and jungle worm events.

Posted by: Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Omaris Mortuus Est.2738

Yeah happened to me in WvW a lot as well. Really kittening annoying when you are in the middle of a zerg vs zerg fight and you cant do a thing except be a rallybot for the enemy.

Only way I’ve found to fix it is to move to a different borderland.

Macros, you can use them as long as they arent macros.
Remember to buy the officially endorsed GW2 Steel Series Keyboard, it supports macros!
WvW, we only care if it affects the servers we play on.

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Yeah happened to me in WvW a lot as well. Really kittening annoying when you are in the middle of a zerg vs zerg fight and you cant do a thing except be a rallybot for the enemy.

Only way I’ve found to fix it is to move to a different borderland.

Changing the map will fix it – but it’s sub-optimal when you are doing an event.

Posted by: Fallout.1798

Fallout.1798

This happens when you attempt to pick up a bundle item and it disappears while you’re picking it up. There may be other causes, but this is the one I’ve noticed. This is particularly common since most people have AoE loot on interact enabled and often end up picking up banners or conjure weapons by mistake because of it.

^ From my experience and observations of others this seems to be most commonly from players spamming their f interact key to AoE loot, but then missing/failing to pick up a bundle/item because it either disappeared OR more likely you moved out of range of the item because you were moving. A partial solution to help reduce the frequency of this happening to you, is I’d recommend you change your hot key settings and set the “AoE loot” hotkey (it is not set by default I believe). Set this to something other than your interaction key. This way you can still spam to aoe loot your loot (pun intended) and not risk picking up an item bundle you didn’t intend to pick up.

Stormbluff Isle
[AoD]- Commander Vars Wolf

Posted by: Sir Isaac The Great.5341

Sir Isaac The Great.5341

I really wish someone around here from anet gave a kitten and would post more….

Posted by: Fallout.1798

Fallout.1798

Ok so after testing out, I have been able to EASILY reproduce this bug. Using my warrior, I have simply used and thrown down a banner. Interact with it while moving and being just on the edge of the distance that you can still interact with/pick it up. So far the only ways I have found to fix this, as others have posted, is either completely leave the map/log out to character screen, or to take fall damage (but it has to be enough fall damage so that you go splat face down).

Edit: I have also found that getting dazed/stunned/knocked back fixes the skill lock up bug as well.

Stormbluff Isle
[AoD]- Commander Vars Wolf

(edited by Fallout.1798)

Posted by: Arrow.4619

Arrow.4619

Happened to me recently while in Arah exploration mode. Triggered I think by interacting with one of the cannons on the ship. Logged out and back in to fix the issue. Also, encountered the same bug at the Marionette event and I know others have as well.

Nerf Shadow Arts condition cleanse. Gut the
Acrobatics trait line. Then sell it back
to them for $50. Brilliant! – ghost of P.T. Barnum

Posted by: romainette.2369

romainette.2369

happening to me as well…

Posted by: sadatoni.6524

sadatoni.6524

This usually happens to me just before I get disconnected. The chat window continues to work though.

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

This usually happens to me just before I get disconnected. The chat window continues to work though.

This is a different issue. I bet you can’t use instant cast skills in this situation. The bug describe here is caused by improperly picking up an item. I experienced it again an hour ago during the Marionette battle after interacting with a warrior banner. BTW: I would also really appreciate getting an official response. Just so we know the problem was recognized.

Posted by: apio.1427

apio.1427

same problem again in AC path 2, when i tried to take a “ghostbuster” weapon

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Sometimes /dance will work to get you unbugged

Posted by: Tuathal.7208

Tuathal.7208

Please fix your game.

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

Seriously – no comments on a fix for this?

Posted by: Dopestbomb.9014

Dopestbomb.9014

Just wanted to add that this is happening to me and my wife constantly at the moment. It has happened on and off for a while but has got a lot worse since the Edge of the Mists update. It can happen at any time and I am sure it doesn’t always correspond to failing looting although I am sure that will sometimes be the case. It seems to happen for us a lot during champion fights for some reason with no interractions/looting happening at the time. Suddenly the skills bar just starts flashing any skill we have tried to activate and that’s game over for that fight. The last time it happened about 30 minutes or so ago trying to get the champions in the vault waypoint, I shut down the client and restarted it with the intention of going back in to go after the champions again. I decided to try attacking a moa before I went in to make sure that the skills would work and spent a couple of minutes standing infront of it with the entire skill bar flashing away with not a single skill being activated. All I had done in this instance had been to log in, select the moa and try use skill 1 on it (followed by the rest of them just so I could watch the pretty flashing bar at the bottom when I realised that nothing was happening) so there was no interaction with anything else at all before the bar failed.

Any news on a fix for this at all?

Posted by: Ghostextechnica.3270

Ghostextechnica.3270

Ok so after testing out, I have been able to EASILY reproduce this bug. Using my warrior, I have simply used and thrown down a banner. Interact with it while moving and being just on the edge of the distance that you can still interact with/pick it up. So far the only ways I have found to fix this, as others have posted, is either completely leave the map/log out to character screen, or to take fall damage (but it has to be enough fall damage so that you go splat face down).

Edit: I have also found that getting dazed/stunned/knocked back fixes the skill lock up bug as well.

This should be enough to get some action on this.

There are warrior banners kitten everywhere in PvP and PvE and this can render your character a free kill in any mode.

Is this even being tracked?

When I get that feeling I want… spectral healing.

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

I’ve had this happen with almost all of my characters (I have.. a lot), both in zergs, and completely alone.

One night it just kept happening to me over and over in Edge of the Mists on my engineer. Blessedly I didn’t trait him to bomb on dodge, or I might have got in serious trouble for ‘exploiting’ something entirely out of my control.

I don’t believe I’ll be traiting my mes to clone on dodge, either, until this is fixed. Which is really unfortunate, I was looking forward to using that trait.

(edited by Egon Vidar.9125)

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Its WvW skill lag all over again.. judging how long it took last time to all but eliminate it, I wont be holding my breath this time round… until then its #1#1#1#1#1#1#1#1#1 even if your not in or near the zerg wars

Posted by: White Ninja Rabbit.1584

White Ninja Rabbit.1584

I had this happen last night during Marionette, but everything worked except for weapon swap. It was really strange.

I’m not sure that’s the same bug. It does happen often, but you can still use your locked weapon and utilities freely. That can also be cured by changing weapons in the heroes tab.

Meanwhile I’ve had this problem on my Ele in the last half hour. I don’t think I tried to pick up a summoned weapon after defeating some wind rider. Had this problem on Guardian as well.

Astrid Freyrborn – Ranger, Nymeria Stoneclaw – Guardian
For Us Valhalla Shall [ROAR]
Piken Square

Posted by: Dragon Ruler X.8512

Dragon Ruler X.8512

Not to discredit the bug – because it is truly annoying – but there are a few methods i’ve found (some more consistent than others) to fix this. I’ll list them in an order that shows which method works best to worst.

Healing skill: If you’ve noticed that your shouts/virtues/instant action skills are still functioning try using your heal skill because more times than not that will reset the ability to use the other skills.

Weapon Swapping: If you can’t get your skills to activate on one set of weapons (1-5) you can always try a weapon swap to reset that.
NOTE: If your weapon swap is bugged simply use the “Hero Panel” ’s weapon swap option to fix that.

“/dance”: This one works on occasion, but i’d suggest it as a last resort before moving to the last option.

Downed State: As mentioned above you can sometimes remedy the issue by getting downed.

Restart Client: Sometimes it is simply just horrid connection and you just need to reload the game.
NOTE: I’d suggest from a network point of view to actually close Gw2 and not just “Log out” or “Character Select” this gives the client a brand new connection on the server end and gives you a better chance of a renewed connection.

Windows+R “cmd”: an option that can help when dealing with connection errors is the commands ipconfig /release + ipconfig /renew to re-establish your local connections.
NOTE: if you’re not aware of Windows+R “cmd” it’s simply a method of bringing up the “Run” box on your computer and “cmd” initiates the “Command Prompt” – an administrative tool in all windows computers. You may also just search “cmd” in various windows OS’s.

Complete Reboot: Aside from multiple issues with local connections including residential gateways (what regular people call “routers”) and their resetting processes – you can usually fix buggy issues by doing a “Soft Shut down” and then waiting 10 seconds to restart the computer.
NOTE:If the issue persists you always have the option of getting free anti-virus / registry cleaning tools online (consult an IT professional if you are unaware of what to use or how).

“C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -repair: The last option you have is to right-click your Gw2 icon that starts your game and select “Properties”. From there you want to be in the “General” tab and locate the line that is called “Target”. Append the end of that line with " -repair" (essentially look at the example above – the space after the " and before the – is important). When you run the program it will begin a self-repair feature to correct any local bugs that you might have on the system that the other programs couldn’t fix. Most people will create a copy of their icon and rename it Gw2 Repair or something so as to keep the icons separate because you would otherwise need to go back and add/remove that " -repair" statement from the properties each time you needed to use/finish using it.

I realize that’s a lot and probably isn’t all of the options available, but I thought i’d provide some methods i’ve used in the past that were effective.

Posted by: exemplar.5942

exemplar.5942

if i do anything this happens on top of lagg from the server

Posted by: Ghostextechnica.3270

Ghostextechnica.3270

What we are reporting here is entirely unrelated to lag.

Sure you can’t use skills properly when you are lagging because.. well you’re lagging.

This thread is to do with the situation when your connection is rock solid and everything is working fine but none of your skills work at all.

This largely appears to happen when either two people pick up a weapon or item at the same time as someone else (often when Aoe looting in a Zerg) or you are moving and try to pick up an item just as you leave the pick up range.

Warrior banners are usually the prime suspect for this.

When I get that feeling I want… spectral healing.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

This has nothing to do with lag or connection issues or
game files needing repair.
It’s a bug in the system and needs fixing.
I get it more and more often,and the only work around
is to either die,relog,wp,or get kb/kd by a mob.
/dance does not work.
Weapon swapping does not work.
Removing weapons does not work.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

This should be a priority to fix – it makes the game unplayable when it occurs, which is a problem if you’re in the middle of an event or WvW siege…

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

Posted by: Hammerguard.9834

Hammerguard.9834

How is this bug still in the game? So often when trying to pick up a bundle or even pick up loot and mistakenly pick up a bundle my skills lock. I have to look for any enemy with a launcher or knockdown to get rid of it.

And the ‘getting stuck trying to cancel building siege bug’ is also way overdue for a fix.

… I still want tengu.

Posted by: sadatoni.6524

sadatoni.6524

The only method I’ve found to work is to log out to character selection and re-enter the map.

Posted by: Fhi.1840

Fhi.1840

Been running into this for the past few days, also on warrior. No pattern to when it’ll happen. None of my skills would fire, but I’d still take damage and die. Can’t interact with anyone either. Solved it by relogging, but then eventually it comes back again later.