So why was the voice change bug patched?

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Ameno.6813

Ameno.6813

The last patch (or couple of patches) fixed one of the coolest, and yet, harmless bugs in GW2. Why does important stuff go years without patches and things like this get ruined?

Bug demonstrated below:

RIP chipmunk-voiced Asura.

(edited by Ameno.6813)

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

What bug are you talking about? What voice change? I have a female Asura, but nothing in that video sounded out of the ordinary to me.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Cody Crichton.7516

Cody Crichton.7516

Sound Designer

Next

The last patch (or couple of patches) fixed one of the coolest, and yet, harmless bugs in GW2. Why does important stuff go years without patches and things like this get ruined?

Bug demonstrated below:

Uh, this bug might’ve gotten fixed incidentally when some improvements were made to audio scripts that address an issue related to the size of character models and their relative pitch.

The audio department makes updates like this one to ensure consistency across the board. The fixup wasn’t made because we see you having fun with a particular bug and then decide to destroy said fun with fun-killing laser beams. We probably didn’t even know this particular bug existed—just thought that it could theoretically exist or had potential to manifest under certain circumstances, and this seems like one of them.

Also, the bugs that the audio department can fix possibly might not be the same bugs that you think are “important stuff that goes years without patching.” But in either case, you should open specific threads about the bugs that are bothering you and those bug fixes will be handled according to their priority.

Posted by: Plexxing.2978

Plexxing.2978

I once saw an asura speak with a male charrs’ voice. It was very disturbing. I don’t remember where I saw it.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Bug demonstrated below:

Uh, this bug might’ve gotten fixed incidentally when some improvements were made to audio scripts that address an issue related to the size of character models and their relative pitch.

The audio department makes updates like this one to ensure consistency across the board. The fixup wasn’t made because we see you having fun with a particular bug and then decide to destroy said fun with fun-killing laser beams. We probably didn’t even know this particular bug existed—just thought that it could theoretically exist or had potential to manifest under certain circumstances, and this seems like one of them.

Also, the bugs that the audio department can fix possibly might not be the same bugs that you think are “important stuff that goes years without patching.” But in either case, you should open specific threads about the bugs that are bothering you and those bug fixes will be handled according to their priority.

Fun-killing laser beams confirmed!

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I once saw an asura speak with a male charrs’ voice. It was very disturbing. I don’t remember where I saw it.

Are you sure it wasn’t an asura with a norn voice? I think the guild registrar in the WvW borderlands is like that.

Posted by: GamerOnline.3650

GamerOnline.3650

It would be most interesting if character size (height/physique) made a difference (even if small) in racial vocal pitch as a normal part of character design. It could even become a specific feature.

Farm responsibly, for you are not alone. Share the love, not the hate.
Support your local environmentally friendly farmers.
Asuran Mesmer Mind Tricks: “These aren’t the golems you’re looking for.”

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

Could someone PLEASE tell me what I’m looking/listening for in this video? I still don’t notice anything out of the ordinary.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Cody Crichton.7516

Previous

Cody Crichton.7516

Sound Designer

Could someone PLEASE tell me what I’m looking/listening for in this video? I still don’t notice anything out of the ordinary.

At the 50-second mark of the video that the OP linked, the player successfully reproduces the bug after which point all the vocal sfx of the asura character are pitched up by ~25%.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Why does important stuff go years without patches and things like this get ruined?

I’d guess (and hope) that ANet has a bug list somewhere, and hopefully that bug lists contains at least two pieces of metadata: importance and difficulty (and description, and recreation and a bunch of other stuff not immediately important to this post). I’m guessing that it’s not too uncommon that the team might want to fix a couple of small simple bugs every now and then, before going back to bashing their heads against the proverbial wall that is a major bug. At the very least doing so does return a bit of self confidence (i.e. succeeding at something small after a long time of struggling with something big might make them feel better, and thus work harder on the big stuff).