Sometimes I can't hear my own combat sounds

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Jjiinx.8795

Jjiinx.8795

Usually it happens in large fights, sometimes it just happens randomly, but the issue exists, I fire my pistols and they make absolutely no sound. I strongly believe that, if the game is going to not play certain sounds for whatever reason, assuming that’s what it’s doing, you should ALWAYS be able to hear your own sounds.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I’ve also had this problem. I haven’t updated my soundchip drivers in a while or played with the sound options, so it might be just that. Have to try this tonight. Will let you know if it helped me.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Whitewolf.9736

Whitewolf.9736

I’d imagine it’s something to do with the server or client catching up more than anything. I can go for periods without sounds if I’ve just loaded to a new zone or if a fight gets too chaotic.

[EU]Desolation
~Charr Guardian~ – ~Norn Necromancer ~

Posted by: tota.4893

tota.4893

I noticed earlier that this is quite easily replicated using that spammable grenade pack from the heart task in northern Fireheart Rise. Take the pack and get spamming (just throw the nades at your feet). After about 20-30 seconds most of the skill sound effects start failing.

It’s like the game has a max number of sounds it can have playing at once, and it doesn’t clean up properly after sounds finish — or make any effort to prioritize them.

Posted by: Jjiinx.8795

Jjiinx.8795

I noticed earlier that this is quite easily replicated using that spammable grenade pack from the heart task in northern Fireheart Rise. Take the pack and get spamming (just throw the nades at your feet). After about 20-30 seconds most of the skill sound effects start failing.

It’s like the game has a max number of sounds it can have playing at once, and it doesn’t clean up properly after sounds finish — or make any effort to prioritize them.

I think that’s what it’s doing, perhaps to reduce player or server lag, but I still think that you should always be able to hear yourself no matter what, this is a problem especially in big fights when you’re not exactly sure if and when your skills are working since you can’t hear them.

Posted by: CC Eva.6742

CC Eva.6742

Community Coordinator

Hi everyone.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention.

I take note of this issue and proceed to move the thread to Game Bugs, as it seems it is an in-game error.

Posted by: LittleZoe.4970

LittleZoe.4970

Same here with my Elementalist. Sometimes the sounds are just nonexistant for a while.

Zoe Clawstorm – Norn Necromancer

Posted by: Replect.3407

Replect.3407

Experienced that as well with my warrrior, not that often, but it happened….

Posted by: August.2678

August.2678

I frequently experience this at various times. Sound disappears for a while, then it kind of fades in to normal again.

nastyjmanThat explains why there were kittens muddled in some posters emotionally charged responses.

Posted by: Sarisa.4731

Sarisa.4731

I also experience this at times.

It mostly happens for me after I switch windows, for example to Vent to adjust a person’s volume, then switch back to GW2 and immediately start a battle. If I wait a little bit before fighting, I usually don’t have the missing sound.

Lille of the Valley [WHIP]

Posted by: Skolops.2604

Skolops.2604

As of the 9/14 update, its happening to me all the time. Cutscene dialouge, ambient dialouge, player voiceovers, and sound effects cut in and out, and sometimes play but extremely quietly.

Posted by: Era.2930

Era.2930

yes the update 9/14 seems to have made this happen more, as well as the cutscene dialogues now missing which were fine before.

On a related note, you do seems to have fixed the distortion bug in cutscenes on logitech g930 headsets now

Posted by: Asinausk.1382

Asinausk.1382

Same here. Sometimes all I can hear at all are character grunts and such.

Posted by: Blues.4109

Blues.4109

I get this too. Usually in the big fights with the dragons or zerging in WvWvW, but has been happening randomly. Plus this game makes cpu run hotter than any other game before.

Posted by: August.2678

August.2678

Plus this game makes cpu run hotter than any other game before.

Yeah, my laptop is really crying in pain. I probably need to buy a chill pad or something.

nastyjmanThat explains why there were kittens muddled in some posters emotionally charged responses.

Posted by: Mightylink.3816

Mightylink.3816

Same problem here, I tried playing with all my sound quality settings, makes no difference, also sometimes all my sounds play at once after the fight giving me a huge burst of loud noises.

Mightylink – Norn Necromancer
Mythiclink – Asura Engineer

Posted by: Velath.7164

Velath.7164

I was having the same sound problem for the first week or so as well as having fps rates vary from 10-60. I would sometimes lose sounds while in explorable zones but most often it was after loading a new zone and pretty consistent in Lion’s Arch. This past weekend I upgraded my old Phenom II X2 550 to a (slightly newer) Phenom II X4 965. The older dual core was always running at or near 100% utilization when I was having sound or fps issues but since I’ve had the quad core cpu in I haven’t had either problem (even in WvW large fights). I also haven’t played since last night 9pm PST so I don’t know if I’d have the problem today.

This is pretty unscientific for sure and I wouldn’t suggest everyone upgrade their cpus (seeing how the X4 is still a fairly old processor) but could this be due to client optimization overall and not necessarily sound cards/drivers?

Skolops.2604

I was having the same sound problem for the first week or so as well as having fps rates vary from 10-60. I would sometimes lose sounds while in explorable zones but most often it was after loading a new zone and pretty consistent in Lion’s Arch. This past weekend I upgraded my old Phenom II X2 550 to a (slightly newer) Phenom II X4 965. The older dual core was always running at or near 100% utilization when I was having sound or fps issues but since I’ve had the quad core cpu in I haven’t had either problem (even in WvW large fights). I also haven’t played since last night 9pm PST so I don’t know if I’d have the problem today.

This is pretty unscientific for sure and I wouldn’t suggest everyone upgrade their cpus (seeing how the X4 is still a fairly old processor) but could this be due to client optimization overall and not necessarily sound cards/drivers?

Maybe for some people, but I don’t think this is the problem. My Quad core has never had a problem running the game or the sounds, but it did begin after the recent update.

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

Ive been making reports on this issue since the Betas via multiple forum post and in game reports.

I have an avg FPS of 50 – 60

Many many times it can be busy or just me but many sound effects dissapear. Like blowing a warhorn makes no sound but you can hear the deep breath he takes to blow it.

Or weapon swings and footsteps disappear.

Swimming noises randomly disappear.

Monster sounds disappear

Last night i really got mad as I had a cool cut scene in the personal story and there was no sound…>.>

and many more etc etc’s.

Sound card has no issues with anything else. Soundblaster Recon 3d PCIe fatality version

Ive tried all sound settings in game as well and no difference is made.

Skolops.2604

I think its related to the crackling fire sound – or at least I think the fire crackling sound is one item with which its related. Typically, when I notice the problem in the open world I also hear the fire crackling sound from torches (at least the ones in the Norn areas) constantly, even when there are no torches nearby.

It is similar to a bug that happened in TOR, where an electricity crackling noise from the Spike ability would cause music and other sound effects to disappear until reloading the game. I don’t think the similarity is in that they’re both crackling noises, by the way – just that one particular effect somehow interfered with others.