Still no better Time Remaining in Launcher?

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Nicholas Steel.2340

Nicholas Steel.2340

I hate that topic titles are limited to 45 characters, but at least it isn’t as utterly abysmal as the 30 character per message limit Capcom thinks is reasonable in their Monster Hunter games. Anyways, on with the actual post!

So I’ve noticed that we still don’t have better “Time remaining” indication in the games Launcher?

We still have a completely unhelpful “Files Remaining” indicator that is completely meaningless and unhelpful in determining the time remaining before the update is complete and we also have nothing helpful to inform us of how much data is needed to be downloaded to complete the update (Which is useful for those on Quota’s).

So we still can’t schedule around it very effectively, yay.

When, if ever, will we see a Time Remaining and/or Kilobytes/Megabytes remaining indicator/s?

(edited by Nicholas Steel.2340)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Not a bug…more of a suggestion. Patches…always at least 50M. Initial download…about 15-16G. Release updates….well, it’s true those are variable.

Maybe, if enough people ask for it, they will change the display. =)

Personally, I’m fine with it, but I’m not against something different. You can always ask one of your friends how much their download was. I usually watch it for my one friend.

Nicholas Steel.2340

Not a bug…more of a suggestion. Patches…always at least 50M. Initial download…about 15-16G. Release updates….well, it’s true those are variable.

Maybe, if enough people ask for it, they will change the display. =)

Personally, I’m fine with it, but I’m not against something different. You can always ask one of your friends how much their download was. I usually watch it for my one friend.

While it isn’t a bug, I do consider it an issue and thus it fits within this forum section.

You shouldn’t need to ask around to figure out how large a download is, it should straight up tell you how big the download will be so that you can plan around it. Blizzard, Grinding Gear Games, Valve and various other companies have launchers/interfaces that inform users of the size of the update.

Nicholas Steel.2340

Well a year has gone by and no progress has been made on this so I guess I’ll see ya next year, maybe.

Rapidly losing faith in ArenaNet.

Edit: Currently (And over a year ago) the client does not convey how long I must wait before I can play the game, until such time that it does convey such information to me I’ll continue to not play this game and instead spend my time playing other products from other companies.

I do not find it enjoyable waiting an “indeterminable” amount of time to play something I’ve purchased and will be spending my time with products that don’t have this issue (Basically most other software products in existence). Those other products provide enough information for me to plan my life/general activities around.

Nicholas Steel.2340

And the problem persists. Files Remaining is a useless measurement because files range from less than 1KB to infinity in size, please add something useful in its place!

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Perhaps, you would benefit from the Streaming Client. (Check the Wiki via the link above.) You can get in to play faster when using it.

Good luck.

Nicholas Steel.2340

Perhaps, you would benefit from the Streaming Client. (Check the Wiki via the link above.) You can get in to play faster when using it.

Good luck.

Gave it a shot. The Streaming Client and Normal Client both fail to provide any meaningful indication of how much data needs to be downloaded and/or how to tell how long it will take for the download to complete.

I can’t justify updating if I can’t tell how long it is going to take, I can’t justify waiting an unknown amount of time just to play a game.

C’mone ArenaNet, add a meaningful indicator to the Client!

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Doubtful it will change, if not after 10+ years.

It’s usually only seconds or a few minutes (2 or 3).

Of course, this would depend on your download speed, and congestion.

Good luck.