Stop deleting my nicknames!

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: robinsiebler.3801

robinsiebler.3801

It is bad enough that all I have to describe 5+ plus chars is 1 kitten-hating text string, but do you have to delete them every time there is an update!?!

Stop it!

This is a message from the Absentminded Blondes of America Association.

Posted by: StarsLife.7320

StarsLife.7320

Could you elaborate please?

robinsiebler.3801

I assign a nickname to every person in my Contact List describing their Main, how I met them and any notable characteristics.

Every Update from ArenaNet so far has deleted all of my nicknames. Frequently, if a player swaps to an alt, that destroys my nickname as well.

Then I am forced to act like an idiot and ask everyone who they are and retype my nickname for them.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

It is rather annoying.

I know people by their “Screen names”. Not Ghytzxiks.2564

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

robinsiebler.3801

Precisely. I can’t be expected to remember that a gibberish handle like HawtStripp3rChick, belongs to the nice woman who mailed me food.

Posted by: Shael.4703

Shael.4703

Yes it is annoying indeed. No doubt it is a bug that nobody reported during the BWEs (because those players weren’t really bug testing, they were playing the game [they need bug testers not gamers]).

It is tiring putting back nicknames to your contact list. I’d rather know them by what I know them instead of their ArenaNet Display Name which, in the first place, should have been private (wherein, if you added my character name, then you’ll see only that and never my alts. But if I gave you my ANet Display Name, then you’ll see my alts.)

My blog/sites: gameshogun & Tomes of Knowledge

Posted by: DarkKat.4503

DarkKat.4503

Agreed very annoying. I have a hard time with names and each reset leaves me puzzled on who that person was. Hope this is addressed soon. Oh and when I recently tried to frantically fix nicknames, the game frozen while doing so.

Posted by: Jia Shen.4217

Jia Shen.4217

Shael.4703,

I don’t understand the mentality that if one meets you in game enough to become friends list material then why on earth would one not want them to know their alts. After all the alts are still you. One doesn’t become friends with the avatar but with the person behind the avatar. Therefor the display name is perfect since that name represents the person so regardless of which character they have logged into your friends can recognize that it is you. Otherwise a complex note system is needed so that people can identify who is who based on the character names cross referenced with who they belong to. I for one hate that because I have to take time to refer to a note system in other games so I know who’s who all the time. As for the note reminders of how you met the person I feel your pain on the issue.

Posted by: wetwillyhip.7254

wetwillyhip.7254

Regardless Jia. it’s a bug and nicknames get wiped just about every update/patch.. IT IS ANNOYING! FIX IT PLEASE Anet, thanks.

Posted by: BoiBato.4829

BoiBato.4829

This is annoying, specially when they restarted the server… >:(

Boibato | Asura | Guardian | Blackgate

Posted by: MrsAngelD.6971

MrsAngelD.6971

Yes it is annoying indeed. No doubt it is a bug that nobody reported during the BWEs (because those players weren’t really bug testing, they were playing the game [they need bug testers not gamers]).

It is tiring putting back nicknames to your contact list. I’d rather know them by what I know them instead of their ArenaNet Display Name which, in the first place, should have been private (wherein, if you added my character name, then you’ll see only that and never my alts. But if I gave you my ANet Display Name, then you’ll see my alts.)

You would be wrong to think nobody reported this issue during the beta weekends as I know for a fact that I and my friends reported it. I’m sure it’s just not that high on the priority list.

Posted by: Oddcl.1507

Oddcl.1507

I understand what your saying but it really was not a bug much in the beta. I had my buddy list remaining the same with nicknames till the mid September updates.

Seems now whenever a new patch is downloaded I log in to see all my nicknames changed and feel bad since I am messaging people asking who they play with related to 3 characters I am constantly rping as.

I reported it too but I am thinking now on getting some kind of add on like Enjin for my guildwars2roleplayers chat and finding a way to just make a list on who is who to pop up.

Heck maybe I will learn some display names finally for once related to the characters I rp with the most.

Posted by: Plutonium.1308

Plutonium.1308

I have crafted a cunning work-around for your problem. It is called a pen and paper.

Observe Adapt Overcome
[FTF]Danke Bitte

Posted by: Payadopa.4706

Payadopa.4706

I’d like to know -when- this is going to be fixed. It’s like every time I log in all nicknames get deleted! All of my friends have like 3 to 5 characters with different names. Even their account names don’t help as they are mostly differnet from the names they had in other MMOs. Seriously, please fix it.

At least a response from Anet would be nice. I can hardly be the only one that’s annoyed by this.

Posted by: Smiter.3861

Smiter.3861

Shael.4703,

I don’t understand the mentality that if one meets you in game enough to become friends list material then why on earth would one not want them to know their alts. After all the alts are still you. One doesn’t become friends with the avatar but with the person behind the avatar. Therefor the display name is perfect since that name represents the person so regardless of which character they have logged into your friends can recognize that it is you. Otherwise a complex note system is needed so that people can identify who is who based on the character names cross referenced with who they belong to. I for one hate that because I have to take time to refer to a note system in other games so I know who’s who all the time. As for the note reminders of how you met the person I feel your pain on the issue.

Just as in RL, we all have groups of friends for different things. The option should be ours to decide… not have the game decide for us. Also.. there are times peeps wish to have quieter gaming time, open to some and not others to chat with. Regardless of the why, the issue is a problem. Also… Qjt5gboogy is almost impossible to identify as compared to a note as “Fierce Val”… the actual character name of lets say the first interaction with the person.

If someone rolls an alt, how are we to remember who they were with just an account name and the alt,,, with no connection to original character name?

(edited by Smiter.3861)

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

This is actually the first time I’ve noticed my nicknames being wiped after an update.

I set a few well over a month ago, and they remained until yesterday’s update.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

Posted by: lynspottery.6529

lynspottery.6529

I gave up trying to put in nicknames, especially since they always get deleted.

If Anet can’t or won’t fix this then why have it available in the game? That should be the question to ask them. If it was implemented correctly we would not be having this problem.

Posted by: Ultravalefor.5038

Ultravalefor.5038

This is without a doubt the most annoying thing in this game. What’s causing this nickname wipe? You don’t save this information? Start saving it!

I nickname people who I know are doing certain dungeons, people who I know give great dye advice, people who I meet in WvW, and the nicknames are how I remember them! Not character name, not account name, nickname. And when you wipe them, I’m left with either a guessing game to find out who’s who (obviously not an acceptable choice), or I just hope that person sends me a whisper sometime, that their nicknames haven’t been wiped.

There aren’t any words that won’t get feline-transformed to describe how I feel about this.

Phaynel – recently voted the hottest Ranger in GW2 by everyone
married to Railspike the Red Alpha Golem
[PiNK] Toast Forever.

Posted by: Bogartan.2756

Bogartan.2756

I too gave up entering them, which is a shame. I was pretty happy when I first found the option, but let down time and again after each update.

Sorrow’s Furnace
{SN} Sentimental Nightmares
Darsveth, Warrior – Dexter Oliver, Thief

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

Again?? Come on, this is really annoying. Now I don’t know who’s who…

Posted by: Jason King.2647

Jason King.2647

Live Response Embed

This is an issue we’ve been investigating, but has been difficult to fix. We are still working on it, however, and will update as we get more information on it. Thank you for the reports!

ArenaNet Community Team
Live Response Embed

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

Anet isn’t deleting character names. It’s more like an issue after a server reboot. All the names needed to be fetch again as soon the person login the next time. This shows up in Guild tab as well.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

Posted by: Ibbuli.4027

Ibbuli.4027

I’ve already forgotten there even were this nickname option. I just remember everyone from the in-game names or from the account name.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Sadly, I have to keep a running notepad doc to keep track of people. It’s a pain and I loathe it, but in most games i’ve had to do that. It’s nice they have this feature, but even worse that it doesn’t work. It be better if it didn’t exist at all “sadkitten”

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

robinsiebler.3801

I am so tired of reporting this bug! Fix it! Every time there is an update, all of my nicknames are deleted! If a player changes from one char to another, there is a chance that my nickname will be deleted!

Since this has bee happening since pre-release day, I have decided that my only recourse is to keep track of everyone on my friends list in notepad. How pathetic is that?

This message was brought to you by a Kitten with a Lot of Friends

Posted by: LightningLockey.5938

LightningLockey.5938

Sounds like you should contact support as something in the game might be mistaking your names for something offensive. That is what I’d do at first, would also remove any negative points you’ve been accumulating as a result of this.

robinsiebler.3801

My nicknames are not offensive, nor are they even names. They are descriptions like “A charr I met in a bar who gave me food”. And since they are deleted every update, it is definitely a bug.

Posted by: Animestar.1705

Animestar.1705

I’ve seen a few threads of this with absolutely no help. But every patch or so, my nicknames just go away. Happened again with the removal of the Halloween decorations. These are nicknames like James and Crystal, so there are no special symbols, profanity, etc. I have enough friends on here that it gets really hard to keep them all straight and would appreciate this at least being looked at. Thank you.

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

This is an issue we’ve been investigating, but has been difficult to fix. We are still working on it, however, and will update as we get more information on it. Thank you for the reports!

Thanks for the response, Jason!

Glad to know you guys are aware of how useful this feature is to us. Maybe expand it?

Posted by: Rune Jairusion.4610

Rune Jairusion.4610

Thanks for the response, Jason!

Glad to know you guys are aware of how useful this feature is to us. Maybe expand it?

I hope by expand you mean fix… ;-) A buddy list should not be rocket science – it’s not like it does much at all anyway :-/

Posted by: Sithaco.4673

Sithaco.4673

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem, but when I set a nickname to one of my friends, it will reset after like a day or whatever.

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Have that too, and actually quite annoying. I was so happy to see you could set nicknames cause that meant I could insert something that I can easilier remember some of the people I meet by. Or a few cases where I get to know them by their real name. But alas… nicknames reset and that way it helps zilch. It should get fixed

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: haemathetica.6308

haemathetica.6308

My nicknames seem to reset every time I log back into the game at the moment. Which is annoying because in the chat window if I haven’t checked I get “******.1253 has logged in” instead of “Guildie friend nickname has logged in” and then I get confused!

Wardens of Tyria [WoT] {Aurora Glade EU}
http://cojguild.com

Posted by: kirito.4138

kirito.4138

I’m assuming this bug never really got fixed because I too just lost all of my nicknames.

Because you can’t set categories or groups of friends, I’ve been using nicknames a way to make subsets of friends. All that is now gone and rather annoying once you already gotten accustomed to their nicknames.

http://www.twitch.tv/kirito4138
The only exclusive skyhammer stream

Posted by: Fatfox.4915

Fatfox.4915

^^ not the only one,

I’ve just lost all mine to, alongside another guildie having the same problem. I can’t remember user names :/

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

I have crafted a cunning work-around for your problem. It is called a pen and paper.

The paperless office never did actually come to fruition did it? We probably use more paper now…

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Posted by: chokipik.2168

chokipik.2168

Hi, after your patch update, I lost all my contact nicknames from friend list. I don’t know who each contact is and it is even more difficult with all players name from one single account.

Could you repair this bug ? I would like my nicknames back and if possible a way to class them in my friend list. Make a group for Instance, make a group for WvW, etc.

Thanks !

Posted by: Iris.5918

Iris.5918

I have the same issue. It’s really annoying not to be able you is who anymore.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

It’s been awhile, I hope theres a plan fix for this soon. I actually need my nicknames to identify people! >.<

Posted by: Sharpy.8397

Sharpy.8397

Ye this really needs to be fixed it makes it really hard to remember everyone names!

Posted by: Dragoon.9536

Dragoon.9536

can’t you just add in folder in teh account setting that save to the person account not to the Client UI.

WoW did that they had all the account on the player computer.

Posted by: Tony.6028

Tony.6028

I’d like to echo that this also happens to me with every reset and is super annoying. It’s very embarrassing to ask my friends with generic handles who they are.

Posted by: Irenic Eremite.1650

Irenic Eremite.1650

I thought I was going crazy.

Actually, I thought that the Nick Names were tied to the character and that nobody was playing the character I met them as anymore.

This is a stupid bug. All the time I put into naming people I met is gone?

face palm

Disable the feature until you fix it. It’s just an annoying taunt to leave it there.

Posted by: Dragoon.9536

Dragoon.9536

irenic i agree it might as well be wasted code wasted space.

Posted by: Wesley Of Florin.2150

Wesley Of Florin.2150

I read in another thread that this happens because the client-side names that you assign are actually stored in the GW2.exe file. So every time there is an update, patch, or anything that modifies the executable, the names are all wiped.

I don’t suppose that helps anyone solve the issue though. That pen and paper sure sound good right now…

Posted by: the devils eye.9258

the devils eye.9258

Suggestion replace the current system whit one like below a lot of people will be really happy whit it if you fix something that is not worth fixing its a waste of time….

I really start to think that there is a serious lack of descent vision and decision making in some dev teams, and don’t take this personal again you devs are always saying where looking in to it, but you never hear a dev say the current system doesn’t work like we intended sorry for that, we have read the costumers comments on it where going to replace it in the near future whit this: blablabla

so pls replace it by this system:

1) gw2lfg.com is really great for party’s integrate that site into the game itself not that hard to do and would fix easy all the comments people have now about grouping options… a system similar like trading post that reads and post data from that site.
Really easy to do…
2) Local user list so a patch wouldn’t overwrite the nicknames.
Its really simple to read from a local file, a local file user can backup change etc very handy for managing friends.
3) give more options to manage friends like group them on a dungeon in combination whit a local nickname list would be much better.

so that would give you a gui like this when you press y:

one tab which talks whit the site gwl2lfg and all the option on there.
there you should be able to filter out on dungeons and level etc like you do on tp whit stuff you want to buy but than more like the gw2lfg site works

one tab whit friends you added
on that tab you should be able to see the account name whit the characters the player have and next to that you should have a field wher you can add personal note that is also kept in the local friend list file. and it should point out which of his char you added.

one tab whit followers
Wich has simmalar function as above but whitout the note field.

One tab whit blocked people
This one could be easy account name and list of his online char and a note field so you can enter why you blocked him.

This would fix all you’re problems at once instead of trying to fix a system that people don’t like…

greetings

ps Forum Mod if i get a bad point again for this one than please tell me this time at least which words and sentences you did’nt like since i did do my best this time to not be rude against devs… pointing out a problem is not being rude….

Posted by: KatiesAura.5928

KatiesAura.5928

remember some month back when people used to show as … ? i set nicknames for them until they fixed that issue nicknames i sometimes use but its rare

I may be your guardian angel but I don’t have the ability to walk through walls

Posted by: Trick Doll.7923

Trick Doll.7923

I lost my nicknames today, again.

This bug is alive and well.

Posted by: MysticHLE.7160

MysticHLE.7160

This bug seriously makes me not even care to add most people to contact list. >_>