Story: Progressed to wrong story mission.

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Shreever.5041

Shreever.5041

I’ve been playing through the story with a friend of mine, making use of the ‘accept progress’ function. When our paths split after the order choice, we had one last mission in common, meeting Destiny’s Edge in LA (before going to our respective orders in the mission after that).
My friend had chosen the Priory and I joined her LA meeting. After which I got the familiar pop-up asking me if I wanted to progress my story. I accepted it as it was a mission I had to do myself as well (completely the same iirc).
After which I found myself with a letter from Sieran, the priory mentor. This confused me as I clearly chose to join the Vigil.
So now I’m stuck with the Priory mission while I really wanted to play the Vigil story. Can someone help me fix this?

In the attached screenshot you can see my order choice (Vigil) and the mail I got after progressing (Priory). The character concerned is Shrev, account Shreever.5041.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments:

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If you choose to accept another Story Arc’s progress, the game will move your character to that arc, so that your character may continue to play with your friend’s character.

Your character can only move back onto the original storyline arc at the end of the level arc (10, 20, 30, etc.).

Good luck.

Shreever.5041

So I have to play along for the first 10 levels of the Priory before I can move towards the Vigil?

Will I get set back those 10 levels so I can still play the start of the Vigil arc, or will I have missed that bit of my story? As in, will I start at the start of the vigil missions or will I start at the missions for 10 levels ahead?

(edited by Shreever.5041)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can never go back. You can only switch Storylines at choice points. Sorry.

Shreever.5041

Oh wow, that sucks.

I’m too attached to the character to remake it now. Will my story progress in my hero screen keep showing this priory sideline?

I’ll just have to check the story on YouTube then or something.

Thanks for the replies

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Yeah, not a bug but a dumb and badly chosen design decision. I still don’t get why it was designed that way as it seems to be more confusing than helpful. That’s completely unneeded because if you wished to continue playing with a friend you could simply join then in the next instance without messing up yours. Also, the prompt is easy to miss and doesn’t give any warning about this at all.

But well, it has been that way since launch then I hardly hope something will change despite several and several reports like this one. *shrugs*

Shreever.5041

It hasn’t been there since launch, not sure when they implemented it though. Could have been with HoT?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It has been there since launch.

Here is just one thread (from December 2012) addressing the issue (with links to other threads [including one from September 2012]): https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/A-Light-In-The-Darkness-Forging-the-Pact-bug/first#post925522

Good luck.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Hmm, I had never seen that thread before. So, it’s not a “feature” but indeed a unfixed bug? O.o I remember seeing a few months back a dev saying that’s it’s “how it is”, in other words, a feature. But in that thread you linked it sounds like a bug they couldn’t fix.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Yes, it seems they changed their mind. I know Jeffrey Vaughn has said it is a feature, so maybe the Devs weren’t informed way back at launch. /shrug

Regardless, it’s been here since launch, and it is the way it is. Bug or not, it won’t be changed, as far as we have heard.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The advantage of the system is that it allows you to choose to play through with a friend, regardless of the choices you made earlier. The bad thing is that you are warned only in a vague way of the consequence — the warning also doesn’t look a whole lot different from the generic: “are you ready to move on?” dialogue box.

So I’d argue it’s a good system with a weak implementation.

Anyhow, sorry OP that your toon got changed around.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Shreever.5041

Ah well, guess it can’t be helped then. Priory is fun too and luckily only a small part of the overal story. I’ll be sure to be more carefull with other toons.

Thanks all for the input/