Story mission changed

Story mission changed

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Allen.1029

Allen.1029

I was doing a story mission with my girlfriend and I joined the order of whispers and she did the Durmand priory. Now after doing the setting the stage mission, I am now with the priory. I hope there is a way to fix this because I do not want to be with the priory , and I really don’t feel like starting over again.

Attachments:

Story mission changed

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You are not ‘with’ the Priory. You still belong to the Order of Whispers. What has changed is the Story Path, because you chose to accept your girlfriend’s path while doing the story missions together, so the game is trying to keep you both on the same path.

If you try to buy Priory Armor/Weapons, etc., you will find that you are really part of the Order of Whispers.

Story mission changed

Posted by: Allen.1029

Allen.1029

Is there away to change it back, I want to do my own missions and hers like we have been doing.

Story mission changed

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It may be possible to change paths again, if you can find someone on your original path, and join the instance where it branches again, and choose to accept their path. This would only work at a branching instance, of course.

Good luck.

Story mission changed

Posted by: PCanineBrigade.4916

PCanineBrigade.4916

You will need to be on the story step that “shares” the same name as all other orders.
At this point, the closet would be helping out minor races. (Note: Skip directly to bottom of the page and click ‘show’ at Part V-A Friend in Deed to avoid possible spoilers.)
Basically, you will need to choose the same race as one other person that is in Order of Whispers.
Then, you play the last mission in that other person’s instance and choose to accept the progress. (VERY IMPORTANT: YOU HAVE TO BE ON THE SAME STORY STEP, TOO.)
You will be back on OOW’s story if you do it correctly.

There are other points in the story that you can still do this on, but the one I mentioned above is the closest and share the same story across all orders. (Apart from a little dialog from your mentors)

(edited by PCanineBrigade.4916)

Story mission changed

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

As mentioned above, your Order hasn’t changed but by choosing to stay together with another player as you do the story, it’s kept you on their storyline. There isn’t any way to go back and redo that section of the story, but future storylines (typically at each chapter break) will once again go back to your Order’s storyline if you don’t accept the progress of another player and follow their storyline. More specifically, when doing the final story mission in a chapter, do not accept the progress of a player from another Order, or it will put you on the same storyline as them for the next chapter.

Story mission changed

Posted by: PCanineBrigade.4916

PCanineBrigade.4916

Well, I wasn’t aware of that! My friend got that problem once and I let him hitch-hiked my OOW character @ Claw Island mission to set him back on track.
Should’ve let him check his own instance first and see if his Tybalt’s back instead of faulty Forgal. >>

Story mission changed

Posted by: Avery Restless.3908

Avery Restless.3908

I encountered this exact same bug today (chose Order of Whispers, forced into Durmand Priory). I find it upsetting that there’s no warning that you’re going to be shifting your story to the perspective of the host’s, and for an entire arc. Is there no way to simply change the path of the story? I really would like to experience the Whispers story on my thief, not the Priory’s.

Story mission changed

Posted by: Siren Fae.9630

Siren Fae.9630

This happened to me today too, my latest character is Order of Whispers but is now stuck in the Vigil arc because I was running with a friend? I Don’t want to be trapped with Forgal instead of Tybalt. I tried contacting support directly and was just told to fill out a bug report. :/ I’m extremely disappointed, it almost makes me not interested in playing that character for awhile if at all.

Story mission changed

Avery Restless.3908

I understand your feelings, Siren. I can’t imagine that this is a complex fix. It surely can’t be more than just a few zeroes and ones in code. I’d be more than happy having a few story steps deleted, even; hell, make me do the whole kitten ed thing over again, if need be.

But I really don’t want to play the character now.. Makes me not want to play at all, in fact. The one aspect of GW2 that rises above other MMOs IS the story, and now I don’t even get what I wanted out of that.

Story mission changed

Avery Restless.3908

Bumping this. It’s a serious bug, and with the reorganization of the story steps after the living world content, surely this can be fixed? I can’t complete certain achievements this way either, such as To Know the Unknown for the story step An Apple A Day. This bug isn’t okay.

Story mission changed

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

It’s not a bug. When you complete a story step with another player, it asks if you wish to accept progress and advance to “name of next story step.” If you want to keep playing with that other player and accept progress, it will move you both to the next step together, even if your character normally wouldn’t follow that storyline. The alternate would be to NEVER allow you to accept progress, which would make playing co-op rather annoying, since you’d have to play each story step once for every player.

Story mission changed

Avery Restless.3908

I appreciate the response, Jeffrey. My question is, if we’ve never done that particular storyline (such as the Order of Whispers arc for myself) and we have no idea what the next step is, how do we know not to advance or that it would change our path? I was wanting to see the OoW content. It’s really quite great that you had the forethought to allow co-op players to experience the game together, and thank you very much for that! However, a ‘personal story’ being diverted onto another player’s path isn’t very personal anymore at that point.

Additionally, choosing one Order, making an active choice for it, and then being quite literally forced into another, is very upsetting! I had no idea by advancing the step I would be doing this, and it feels very unfair. A simple option to reset my step, or have it done for me, doesn’t feel like an unjust request in this case.

Story mission changed

Posted by: Larkir.6502

Larkir.6502

It’s not a bug. When you complete a story step with another player, it asks if you wish to accept progress and advance to “name of next story step.” If you want to keep playing with that other player and accept progress, it will move you both to the next step together, even if your character normally wouldn’t follow that storyline. The alternate would be to NEVER allow you to accept progress, which would make playing co-op rather annoying, since you’d have to play each story step once for every player.

A simple solution to this would be to show a warning message when a player would have no way of ending up in the next storyline without playing co-op. This would make it alot more clear to us players so we don’t make the mistake to begin with, and you wouldn’t have to explain time and time again on the forums that “This is intended”.

Story mission changed

Posted by: Phloww.1048

Phloww.1048

Completing “Setting the Stage” story with another player Order storyline (and progressing it) not only forces you to continue with the other player’s Order storyline, but you’ll lose the trophy item(s), NPCs that are related to your Order, and unable to complete your Order’s achievements.

During Chapter 4 of my personal story, I ended up helping a friend of mine’s Vigil story despite that I’m a Whispers and in my story tab, I got the “Emblem of the Vigil” instead of the “Order of Whispers Emblem”. Also, in my home instance, I got the Vigil NPC instead of the Whispers NPC. I’m also forced to make another character and have them join the Whispers and complete its storyline in order to obtain the Whispers story achievement.

“Setting the Stage” seems the be the main problem of this and it seems to cause people unable to complete some of the achievements due to a click of a button and forces them to have to make another character just to complete that specific Order’s achievement.

If this whole thing “is intended”, then having a warning message pop up or even bold text to alert the player of the consequences of accepting or declining the progress.

PS – when visiting my home instance, one friend asked why there’s a Vigil NPC when I’m a Whispers. I told him that I was gathering some information while infiltrating the Vigil Keep for a bit and I took this Vigil NPC home with me as a souvenir. :P

Story mission changed

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here is some of the Devs responses: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Help-Personal-Story-derailed/first#post4247873

Multiple warning-message pop-ups may be counter-productive. The one in place will probably have to suffice.

Story mission changed

Posted by: Phloww.1048

Phloww.1048

Well, as long as this does not affect my story or my home instance terribly in the future, I suppose I’ll just deal with it. Actually, I can say that my story’s unusual instead of the normal setup and got some NPCs in my home instance that I normally can’t get.

Story mission changed

Posted by: Zee.1067

Zee.1067

This happened to me today – and it feels a bit unfair, especially after all the time and effort put in to get to this point and then missing out on mission you were looking forward to. I really wanted to see the order of whispers campaign from start to finish. I was playing with a friend when I accepted the progress of the ‘Setting the Stage’ mission – a mission that did not seem related to Factions at all! On top of that, I already did all the Dumond Priory mission – so there so reason to play with my character anymore and I don’t feel its worth starting a new character after all the effort put in so far, so I might as well stop playing the game.

I thought choosing your faction was supposed to be ‘permanent’. It would be great if I could go back to before the stupid ‘setting the stage’ mission and continue my OoW campaign – even if I had to lose a few levels and items. Else, like I mentioned before, I might as well stop playing the game. It just upsets me and bores doing the same missions over again. So, its not really entertaining at all.

Story mission changed

Posted by: Schmeagol.8162

Schmeagol.8162

Hi Guys

I see this is an old topic but perhaps one that can be revived.

My wife and I have been playing now after being away from GW2 for awhile. We have now had this same thing happen. I joined Durmond Priory, she joined Order of Whispers. We go into ‘Setting the Stage’ on my story and then boom, she is now stuck doing Priory missions with me.

I can find no easy fix for this online, but if there has since been one, please can someone lighten me. I find this to be a ridiculous thing to occur. Choosing an order was supposedly a final choice. How can the scenario of being moved to another via this mission be done so easily without a clear view of what is about to happen.
This has now pretty much ruined the flow of playing with these characters. We hardly feel like playing at all anymore. We went a mission onward to confirm what we thought had happened. Now it seems like there is a possible way of changing back to the right path a few missions on by joining someone else’s game. This does not help! Those few missions in the Order of whispers seem to now be lost. The whole flow of the story is broken. This puts such a negative vibe on everything!

As everyone else has said, this is surely something that can be easily fixed.
Please please GW guys, if I provide our characters and usernames can you please simply place us back to before that mission so we can follow the paths we chose.

Before this, this game has proven to be so awesome! If this issue cannot be easily solved, the whole experience will be ruined.

Story mission changed

Posted by: Kilandor.5360

Kilandor.5360

This is so completely dumb and ticks me off. I am playing through my first char with my friends. I really wanted to do priory so that is what I picked. I wanted to join my friends for Vigil quests so I joined them. I was told the first quest was the same for everyone which it is. This gave no kitten warning that it would switch me to Vigil. This is beyond stupid. I understand to allow it to prevent people from having to do it for every friend. However I wanted to do this I shouldn’t have to look up on the kitten website on some obscure post hidden away in the depths of no where that is almost a year old to find about this. To find out i’m screwed now and stuck and forced to do a quest line for my character I never wanted to do. First I find out I can’t get my GW1 stuff, now this. I wonder what ridiculous thing is next?

Story mission changed

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can return to the Order you chose at the end of the 10-level arc.

Good luck.

Story mission changed

Posted by: Kitsune.1902

Kitsune.1902

Personally I think it would make more sense – and be more intuitive – if you indeed would have to play each arc separately, for each character that made a different selection. Whether it’s because you have different race, or different order, or have otherwise a different background option. That way your story would always remain /your/ story, and you could still ‘guest’ in someone else’s story if you wanted to play the instances together. I imagine for the most people if they distinctly select one path over another, it indicates that this is the storyline they wish to experience. If at some point they indicate that they wish to accept progress, and that progress would lead them to branch that differs from what they had clearly selected earlier, I would imagine it’s often/usually by mistake, e.g. because they don’t understand the full consequence of that action. Perhaps – at the least – a clearer warning indicating that this will prevent them from experiencing their own, selected storyline, would help.

Story mission changed

Posted by: Assassinofkings.1824

Assassinofkings.1824

This just happened to me. And I have to say I am not pleased with this feature at all. And judging by other forums and stuff, it has messed up a lot of other people’s stories.

I am in OOW and play with my boyfriend who is a DP, I must’ve accidentally hit the accept progression during the quest “Setting the Stage.” So now instead of being in the OOW “Stealing Secrets.” I have to do the DP “Dredging the Past.”

I found a player who is going OOW and is just about to enter the “Setting the Stage” quest. And I really hope that doing that, or starting his “Stealing Secrets.” quest, will fix this mistake of a feature, leaving me ever the wiser of what silly functions of this game to be ever vigilant about.

If not, it means I have to watch a Let’s Play on Stealing Secrets and hope that my level 50 story arc will go back on track, which is a shame cause I would have very much liked to witness it myself!!

Story mission changed

Posted by: Faust.9025

Faust.9025

I found a player who is going OOW and is just about to enter the “Setting the Stage” quest. And I really hope that doing that, or starting his “Stealing Secrets.” quest, will fix this mistake of a feature, leaving me ever the wiser of what silly functions of this game to be ever vigilant about.

Did it help you? It seems like the only solution to this problem

Story mission changed

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Here we go again… Could someone please tell me wth was it designed this way? I still can’t understand why messing up with player’s story arc just for co-op sake. What happens if progress isn’t accepted? Would the player need to play that step again (in their story arc of course)? Why forcing players to be put on someone’s story arc even if temporarily? Really, I still don’t get why it was designed this way.

Also, couldn’t that prompt be more user friendly and tell exactly what’s going to happen when you accept progress (big texts, warning and stuff, not merely an almost missable text)? Don’t all these threads and reports tell how confusing is this feature? If a player wants to follow someone else’s in their next story step they can simply join them again in the next instance, simply put. Simple rule for any software design: never expect the user will do and guess exactly what you think they should do or know.

Story mission changed

Posted by: ProsaicPudding.6437

ProsaicPudding.6437

I am seriously upset about this… I had no idea this would happen and now my story journal will forever have a random nonsensical chapter? And I can’t do my actual story chapter? I know there’s too much going on with launch for this to even be considered in a timely manner… But please add a way to reverse this or a much clearer warning message. Calling it a feature isn’t going to fix my poor character.

Story mission changed

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

This just happened to me today. I went into my friend’s Setting the Stage quest as we were doing our missions together. Me with the Priory and her with the Order of Whispers. When the message popped up I assumed it meant that, because this mission is the EXACT SAME for everyone down to the smallest detail, that it would count mine as complete and let me progress to the next story step.

Now I’m stuck doing the Order of Whispers line, and from what I’ve read I won’t get the Priory achievements and I will get Whispers agents in my Home Instance rather than Priory explorers.

The fact that a single button push on a rather vague message box can completely and irreversibly alter my character and his home instance is absolutely not acceptable. I opened a ticket, but if this proves to be permanent I will effectively have to delete a level 80, fully geared, fully specialization unlocked Revenant that was made using a Total Makeover Kit and re-make him just to do the story steps I CHOSE to do with him when I purposely and knowingly joined the Priory in the first place, I will be absolutely livid.

If you’re not going to make the warning more obvious as to exactly what this does you could at LEAST allow the player to back out of their friend’s storyline so they can resume their own.

Story mission changed

Posted by: Michael Fejervary.8576

Michael Fejervary.8576

So it has been a very long time (several years to be exact) since I have done personal stories, and I just got hit with this today while playing the game with my kids.

My son who joined the Vigil created the instance which me and my daughter entered.

So while my daughter remained on “Setting the Stage” (since she wanted to see if things would be different during it for her order) I chose to progress, because I thought (as I had no prior knowledge of this issue) that I was simply ending “Setting the Stage” and moving on to the first quest of the level 40 Priory storyline.

Now I could see the “brush off” given to those affected if things were more intuitive and better designed around this issue, but as this is still happening to players after a year+ it appears to be nothing more than a lazy excuse and bad design/coding choices.

The response from Jeffrey Vaughn really hit more as a punch to the face than anything remotely helpful, and really came across as making it our fault instead of admitting that the design choices in the end really do suck as they continue to negatively affect players in a way that should NEVER be deemed “Okay” or “Acceptable”.

To add insult to injury the excuse (or reasoning) of how it would be rather annoying to co-op play by not allowing progress is just that. An excuse.

When you know that your design/code is going to do(or is doing) something that is FAR MORE ANNOYING to a player then don’t you think it would then usually be better to just side with the least annoying choice rather than allow players characters to continue getting screwed up.

I find it odd that the only alternative stated to fixing the issue has to do with only being able to block progress and impacting co-op play when there are indeed other fixes.

A fairly easy one might be to have the FANCY in game mail system that already sends us mail during certain storyline parts actually send one upon reaching level 40 that contains a WARNING about “Setting the Stage”.

In that WARNING you might state that if the player will be going into this instance with other players they should not progress unless they are the same order as the instance creator, and then maybe even list the next story name step for each order.

I’m sure its not as easy, but as he has stated about how it will (should) correct itself it shows that the game KNOWS what order you are part of so then why not just redesign the code to perform a fail safe check (regardless of the order of the instance creator) upon offering the ability to progress past “Setting the Stage” so that it only offers the progression into the actual first level 40 quest of your own Order?

Separate “Setting the Stage” completely into its own little part with no attachment to the other level 40 story parts so that upon players completing it together they all receive notifications of the next proper step for the order they chose.

Even better just make it so that we have to be ungrouped during this story step in order to enter it, because lets face it the excuse of co-op and annoying has no warrant in this case as everyone will have to go in again anyway if not in the same order as the instance creator.

I get that not all fixes are easy, but seriously you cannot really think that the only option was the one stated, and as such its better to just leave it the way it is and tick players off.

Story mission changed

shadow.6174

So it has been a very long time (several years to be exact) since I have done personal stories, and I just got hit with this today while playing the game with my kids.

[sip]

Now I could see the “brush off” given to those affected if things were more intuitive and better designed around this issue, but as this is still happening to players after a year+ it appears to be nothing more than a lazy excuse and bad design/coding choices.

The response from Jeffrey Vaughn really hit more as a punch to the face than anything remotely helpful, and really came across as making it our fault instead of admitting that the design choices in the end really do suck as they continue to negatively affect players in a way that should NEVER be deemed “Okay” or “Acceptable”.

To add insult to injury the excuse (or reasoning) of how it would be rather annoying to co-op play by not allowing progress is just that. An excuse.

[sip]

I find it odd that the only alternative stated to fixing the issue has to do with only being able to block progress and impacting co-op play when there are indeed other fixes.

A fairly easy one might be to have the FANCY in game mail system that already sends us mail during certain storyline parts actually send one upon reaching level 40 that contains a WARNING about “Setting the Stage”.

In that WARNING you might state that if the player will be going into this instance with other players they should not progress unless they are the same order as the instance creator, and then maybe even list the next story name step for each order.

[sip]

I get that not all fixes are easy, but seriously you cannot really think that the only option was the one stated, and as such its better to just leave it the way it is and tick players off.

As it can be seen in my previous post, I can’t agree more. Just a note though: it doesn’t happen with “Setting the Stage” only, several others story step can trigger it.

Story mission changed

shadow.6174

Here we go again… Could someone please tell me wth was it designed this way?

And I’m still waiting for that answer :P