TP UI very slow

TP UI very slow

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

The UI for the TP is very slow to respond, and (for me) is the only part of the game that does this. While it has been slow in various degrees ever since the major TP overhaul, it seems to be even worse now where I am having to wait about 1.5s for the mouseover highlights to track my cursor. Bordering on unusable. It feels like I’m using a remote desktop over a bad connection. How do you get a UI panel to run worse than the 3D game engine? It’s Lovecraftian in its unknowable-ness.

TP UI very slow

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

It’s Lovecraftian in its unknowable-ness.

Bonus points for that reference.

Yes, same here. One unnecessary speed impact is that it seems to search the TP on every keystroke I type in the search box. I’d be quite happy typing in something and pressing Enter or clicking a Search button. There’s no need for all the requests.

I sell a fair bit on TP now and it is so slow to open it for each item. In another post, I suggested providing an option in the right-click menu on items in your inventory to just sell on the TP without opening the UI, using whatever the default price would be.

TP UI very slow

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

The TP UI can get worse or better than the whole game UI because it uses a different technology. The TP is a webpage shown through a built-in web-browser, then why it can load differently than the other parts of the game UI.

TP UI very slow

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Ah, I see. That explains the TP but I’m still mystified by the games other UI. Just opening the hero or inventory panels sometimes takes up to 30 seconds for all the fonts and graphics to pop in, as if they’re being loaded back into memory from disk …or from the internet. Surely, the textures for the UI, which are used frequently and are few, should already be sitting in memory and quickly accessible? When you start the game it loads all the graphics for the environment, but apparently the UI is only loaded the first time you use a UI. Is that what’s happening? Or am I just crazy?

TP UI very slow

shadow.6174

Hmm, that sounds like something more than TP. Hero panel shouldn’t take more than a 5 to 10 secs to open.

Actually, all files needed by the game lies in a single file: GW2.dat. Possibly that file is very fragmented and it could cause slowdowns when loading the UI, I have seen it heppening before. I haven’t had issues with it then I don’t think it’s an issue with the game. And yes, the UI graphics are loaded after you use one of them for the first time.

Maybe try to repair your game files as well defragment that file, it could help. In case you don’t know how to repair, see the instructions here: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/28148006-Repairing-the-Game-Client.

In case of TP, maybe clearing its cache could help. TP cache lies in your Temp folder (if in Windows type %temp% in the Windows search box) in a folder called like "gw2cache-{bunch-of-numbers-here}". Just delete that folder while not in game and restart the game. I hope it helps.

TP UI very slow

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Thank you so much, Shadow. Truly above and beyond the call of duty.

TP UI very slow

shadow.6174

Thank you so much, Shadow. Truly above and beyond the call of duty.

You are welcome. Let us know if you got your issue solved or at least lessen.

TP UI very slow

Posted by: Pat Cavit.9234

Pat Cavit.9234

Web Programming Lead

Next

Pro debugging tips shadow, couldn’t have said it better myself!

None of this sounds like TP-specific issues and seems more indicative of general computer slowness/difficulty running GW2. Due to how the BLTC dialog works it’s more susceptible to computer resource starvation than other game UI, so it’ll often be the first place you notice slowdown.

TP UI very slow

Posted by: Grassrab.9302

Grassrab.9302

I have been experiencing this same behavior the last couple of days. Specifically when listing an item on the TP. The green dialog fades noticeably slower and less smooth than normal, it looks like the frame rate for the TP window drops. The rest of the game is running normally at about 30-50 fps.
After clearing the cache and repairing the client it looks like it has improved.

TP UI very slow

Posted by: ggliff.8903

ggliff.8903

Seems to be some sort of memory leak in the TP, but this is not new. After a bunch of transactions I have a;ways needed to close and reopen it to get any sort of responsiveness back.

TP UI very slow

shadow.6174

Pro debugging tips shadow, couldn’t have said it better myself!

None of this sounds like TP-specific issues and seems more indicative of general computer slowness/difficulty running GW2. Due to how the BLTC dialog works it’s more susceptible to computer resource starvation than other game UI, so it’ll often be the first place you notice slowdown.

Hehe, thank you. I’m a programmer myself, I’m used to debugging and stuff :P

TP UI very slow

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Thanks, shadow. You deserve an award, as my toon likes to say. Doing both the things you suggested has improved it a great deal.

TP UI very slow

shadow.6174

After clearing the cache and repairing the client it looks like it has improved.

Glad to hear it worked for you

Thanks, shadow. You deserve an award, as my toon likes to say. Doing both the things you suggested has improved it a great deal.

Woot, also glad to hear it worked for you. And you are welcome.

TP UI very slow

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

I’m experiencing somewhat slow behaviour of the TP UI as well. It’s not the loading time of items, it’s the animations of the UI elements. Windows and buttons within the TP UI that are fading in or fading out, this is what I mean. It is as if the TP window alone has very slow fps of perhaps 15. Some frames during the fade animations are never drawn. The animations are not smooth like in the the rest of the game.

Also the responsiveness to button clicks is not fast. In other parts of GW2, response to a mouse click is instant. But within in the TP UI, you are waiting perhaps 300-400ms after a click for some kind of visual response. The whole TP feels sluggish and slow.

It’s not that the whole game has low fps. All the stuff from the game world around me is displayed at 60 fps on my machine, only the stuff inside the TP window is drawn at a much lower fps rate.

At launch, the speed of the new TP UI was fine. But it got slower and more laggy only perhaps a few months ago.

(edited by Silmar Alech.4305)

TP UI very slow

shadow.6174

Try cleaning cache as I suggested above. Things tend to become laggy when cache gets big and old, same thing can happen with any browser per example. Try that and see if it would help with your case too.

TP UI very slow

Posted by: PiTheMathGod.3742

PiTheMathGod.3742

I am experiencing a lot of TP slow down myself, specifically with scrolling and the pop-up window after selecting an item. This has always been kinda slow yet easily tolerable, but at some point over the summer there was some patch that changed it, and every since the TP can take anywhere from 0.5 to a full 3 seconds to respond to a button click on the pop-up window. And this is just headbangingly intolerable (particularly since I am a TP power user).

I have tried every solution posted here, namely clearing the cache as well as repairing the game client. And I always go to my home instance when using the TP as that usually provides a tiny performance boost, but it comes nowhere near solving it now. Also computer resources are not starved at all on my gaming desktop, so there shouldn’t be any hardware reasons for poor performance.

For further reference, here is a reddit thread with more comments on the issue, although they attempt to posit a causal link with windows version (I am running win7, so I doubt that is the cause):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3k33nd/trading_post_on_win_10/

TP UI very slow

Posted by: Shinghan.9265

Shinghan.9265

I’m having the same problem! I can’t play with the TP because everything lags so much when I use it, especially when I try to list something and change the price.

TP UI very slow

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I’ve made two suggestions elsewhere that should be simple to implement and should help with at least some TP issues (though not your price changing issue Shinghan, sorry):

1. An option in the right-click menu on inventory items that lets you sell them on the TP at the default price without opening the TP. So, equivalent to clicking the current ‘Sell on Trading Post’ option, waiting for the pop-up screen, clicking Sell button, clicking Close button but all handled in one request on the server.

2. Don’t search the TP on every keystroke I type when I’m entering the search term. Maybe wait until there’s been no keystroke for 500 milliseconds to 1 second. Or search when I press Enter.

(edited by Zoltar MacRoth.7146)

TP UI very slow

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

I was having that problem but it (mostly) went away when I set the interface size to small.

TP UI very slow

Posted by: Nalora.7964

Nalora.7964

I have crocheted entire blankets while attempting to clean my inventory via the black lion.

DEMAND Bunny Slippers and a bathrobe!

TP UI very slow

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

You know, I would love the option to be able to tick multiple items in my inventory and sell them on TP with a single click.

TP UI very slow

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Repair appending to the exe doesn’t work. Windows 7 gives a “file path is incorrect” so I deleted the older caches from a year ago instead. It is really excruciating how slow the TP is now.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

TP UI very slow

shadow.6174

Repair appending to the exe doesn’t work. Windows 7 gives a “file path is incorrect” so I deleted the older caches from a year ago instead. It is really excruciating how slow the TP is now.

Uh oh, too bad the suggestions given didn’t work for you. Wondering why Win 7 would throw that error though. Anyhow, I couldn’t give any other suggestions without further investigation :S Good luck.

Edit: oh wait, after I re-read your post I started wondering… how did you do to repair it? Appending “-repair” to path I suppose and then did the path have any spaces? If so did you enclose the exe path within quotes properly? It could be dumb questions but are easily missed.

E.g: if the path for the exe is C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe you have to make sure you use proper quotes when appending parameters. It should be like..

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -repair

..if using…

C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe -repair

..will fail as Windows will try only “C:\Program” and see “Files (x86)\Guild Wars..”
etc as parameters. So I would suggest verifying if it’s that way.

(edited by shadow.6174)

TP UI very slow

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

My GW 2 is installed on desktop since forever since day 1 3 day headstart and before that on closed betas / beta weekends events.

Also my \‘s are yen symbols cause of Japanese language support, but that shouldn’t matter.

All I did was delete the oldest cache and its a tiny bit better.

“C:\Users\Ishida\Desktop\GW2\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” but \ is a yen sign on my machine cause of what I had to do to get certain non-local stuff to work.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

TP UI very slow

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

My GW 2 is installed on desktop since forever since day 1 3 day headstart and before that on closed betas / beta weekends events.

Also my \‘s are yen symbols cause of Japanese language support, but that shouldn’t matter.

All I did was delete the oldest cache and its a tiny bit better.

“C:\Users\Ishida\Desktop\GW2\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” but \ is a yen sign on my machine cause of what I had to do to get certain non-local stuff to work.

The \ symbol replacement shouldn’t cause an issue. However, in the properties, after the end quotation in the top line make sure there is a space between it and the -repair argument. If there is no space between the ending " and the -repair then you will get the invalid path error.

“C:\Users\Ishida\Desktop\GW2\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe” -repair

For me, nothing has helped improve the laggy and slow motion-functioning TP UI that got this bad after a patch a month or two ago.

I cannot recall which patch specifically, but I believe it was the same patch where the green ‘successful trade’ pop up was suddenly appearing smaller than normal (June 9th update), though it may have been one of its smaller patches that followed in the week after it. Initially, the slightly altered green success pop up was fine and the TP seemed to be faster than normal. However, I recall that quickness to the UI only lasting for a day or two before bogging down and becoming very slow and being this bad since.

• tried different interface sizes other than my preferred size (small)
  • tried repairing the client
  • tried clearing GW2 cache
  • tried clearing system cache
  • tried clearing all web browser caches and cookies
  • tried making sure that there were no proxy setting issues
  • tried ensuring all GW2 related processes are cleared for unlimited web access in firewall software
  • tried a full reinstall of the game
  • tried performing a complete cleaning of all graphics drivers and installing the latest versions
  • tried ensuring the drivers for other system components (cpu, etc.) were up to date
  • tried defragmenting the system drive
  • tried defragmenting the non-system drive where I have GW2 installed
  • tried defragmenting just the GW2 game folder and prioritizing GW2 to be at the front of the drive during defragmentation for quicker read/write access
  • tried turning all graphics settings to their lowest settings
  • tried turning all graphics settings in my AMD CCC GPU utility to their lowest settings, as well as trying them all set to application controlled
  • tried running GW2 in windowed mode, fullscreen mode, windowed fullscreen mode
  • tried ensuring that there were no other programs running at the same time as GW2
  • tried boosting GW2 and/or coherent process’s I/O priority to ‘High’
  • tried boosting GW2 and/or coherent process’s Priority Class to ‘Above Normal’
  • I have all cores permanently unparked
  • tried overclocking and underclocking the CPU and the GPU to see if there was any difference
  • tried some other things, but my brain is too tired right now to think of what they were. I will try to update the list later.

After all of that, nothing has worked to make it not move in slow motion with the stuttering and slowly-animated scrolling and graphic pop ups, delayed click acknowledgement, or the delayed hover activation detection.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

TP UI very slow

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Same kind of slowness with TP for me too. Started that 1-2 months ago like the others have reported too.

TP UI very slow

Posted by: Devin.3076

Devin.3076

Yeah it slow and they’re gonna blame it on our computers it’s just easier that way. I’ve started just vendoring a lot of the stuff to save time.

TP UI very slow

Posted by: TNxPhil.7296

TNxPhil.7296

@StinVec.3621: I tried the same things and TP is still laggy and slow.
I dont know, what to do now.
Is there an official feedback form arenanet?
Can you tell us, if you know how to fix that problem.

greetings

“Traeherne is our hero. He should die defending Tyria”
~Thank you so much arenanet!!!!!!!
~Fatebreaker Imperator Mel Goddess of Tyria, ~

TP UI very slow

StinVec.3621

To help visualize the problem for those that do not seem to be experiencing this issue and to help the devs fix it, here is a gif showing some of the trade window lag.

As you can see, there is quite a delay. I believe it may have something to do with the UI constantly spamming the “Match this buyer’s price.” and “Match this seller’s price.” pop ups.

The slightest movement of the mouse, even while remaining above a single listing, causes these pop ups to pop in and out repeatedly and seemingly for every pixel you cross over.

This constant spamming of the pop up may be the root cause of the trade window lag we are experiencing.

@DEVS
Can these pop ups please be limited to only displaying once per hover on a listing, or a single pop up for the entire listing area instead of constantly popping up with every pixel the mouse moves across in the listing area? I am fairly certain that this will help reduce the issue with lag in the lower portion of the trade pop up window. As for the rest of the laggy TP UI, I have no clue.

(the gif does not do the issue justice and I think it is sped up a bit due to frames per second in the gif – it’s much, much worse of a delay than it shows)

Attachments:

(edited by StinVec.3621)

TP UI very slow

Posted by: darksome.1697

darksome.1697

You guys should try the TP on the Mac client if you think it’s slow running on Windows.

On Mac it rarely even loads at all. Using the “solution” to delete the cache etc. makes it only load once (and I’m not going to be forced to reset all my settings every day just to be able to load it up) and then it’s back to it’s usual no-go state.

And even when it does load, it’s so unresponsive and slow the game accidentally activates skills instead of filling in numbers in the input fields, which is extremely annoying when you wanted to type 50 for example, and your skill 5 and 0 (elite) activates instead because the UI is so slow. I have to type like my granddad for it to recognise my keystrokes. And don’t even start on button responsiveness or search. Gem store? I get it to load maybe once every few weeks.

(edited by darksome.1697)

TP UI very slow

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I’ve cleared all my game’s cache and completely deleted everything GW2 related and reinstalled and while it made it slightly faster, it only lasted about a day before it got slow as hell again.

TP UI very slow

Posted by: PiTheMathGod.3742

PiTheMathGod.3742

Well, I would just like to say that Anet did something fantastic. I have not done anything to my computer, and today the trading post is operating super fast and efficiently. So whatever you guys did, thank you!

TP UI very slow

Posted by: Kcquipor.6730

Kcquipor.6730

Well, I would just like to say that Anet did something fantastic. I have not done anything to my computer, and today the trading post is operating super fast and efficiently. So whatever you guys did, thank you!

i can confirm this !
Today its FAST :o
Don’t know what Anet did :P but really want to know it

TP UI very slow

Posted by: Tamasan.6457

Tamasan.6457

+1 on the TP got superspeed buff

TP UI very slow

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

It must be a buff that hasn’t been rolled out to all of us yet.

TP UI very slow

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Indeed, noticed last night that suddenly it became lightning fast and still was in the morning now that I checked it.

I have no idea what they did, but it is working and I really hope it stays this way

TP UI very slow

StinVec.3621

The TP UI really is back to its normal, speedy self!
Thank you for tackling this issue! I’m overjoyed to be able to interact with it at a normal pace once again!

I believe I see that you have opted for the background listing screen to hide temporarily when a pop up is being displayed instead of the pop up overlaying on top of it. Perhaps this is what was causing the issue, some kind of layered animation and updating bogging down the animation and interaction with the pop ups.

Thank you for this corrective change.

(edited by StinVec.3621)

TP UI very slow

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

_ _

(still auto-select but speedy now)

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

TP UI very slow

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Yay ..

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

TP UI very slow

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Thank you VERY much for fixing this!

TP UI very slow

Previous

Pat Cavit.9234

Web Programming Lead

Next

Glad you noticed, sorry it took a bit. We’ve been heads-down on HOT stuff and finally got some space to go spelunking into the changes since v2.0 shipped to figure out what had happened.

TP UI very slow

shadow.6174

Glad to see it got fixed. Thanks for it. However, can I insist in a request? Please, could we get rid of that auto-focus thing? I don’t see what’s the purpose of it and it becomes annoying when clicking a field and moving the mouse to see what’s beneath it and then accidentally having the other field focused. >.<

TP UI very slow

Previous

Pat Cavit.9234

Web Programming Lead

Next

Auto-focus was a workaround for some technical limitations that we believe are fixed, so yes, we should be able to remove it sometime here.

TP UI very slow

StinVec.3621

Auto-focus was a workaround for some technical limitations that we believe are fixed, so yes, we should be able to remove it sometime here.

That’s nice to hear that auto-focus may be able to be disabled sometime for those that do not like it, but please consider adding in a way for the trading post to have a persistent settings area similar to the inventory with its ‘gear’ icon so those that want auto-focus on can select to have it on.

I think it would be worth the extra effort to add in such an option so those that dislike it can disable it, but those that do like it can keep it on. Perhaps have a ‘Settings’ tab where the ‘Field Auto-focus’ option can be toggled on or off, as well as other settings – such as:

UI Interaction:
[ x ] Price/Quantity Auto-Focus On Hover

Search Results:
[ x ] Hide Items Whose Skin Is Unlocked
[ x ] Hide Miniatures That Are Unlocked
[ x ] Hide Dyes That Are Unlocked

There are many, many more suggestions and requests on the forums of desired options that would be perfect for such a TP Settings tab.

I would gladly scour the forums for you and compile a list of them for you to peruse for viability if this TP settings tab is something that you believe could be implemented and would consider offering. I know many would love such a QoL feature.

(edited by StinVec.3621)

TP UI very slow

Previous

Pat Cavit.9234

Web Programming Lead

It’s not. Anything we built like that would lose all your settings after each patch at the moment like Evon Gnashblade mode. Each option also increases the development/testing time exponentially and it’s not something we’re able to support with our current workload.

TP UI very slow

StinVec.3621

It’s not. Anything we built like that would lose all your settings after each patch at the moment like Evon Gnashblade mode. Each option also increases the development/testing time exponentially and it’s not something we’re able to support with our current workload.

I see. I completely understand and appreciate the reasons you’ve stated for this not being possible for development at this time.

As an end user, it is nice to know that I can tuck my hope for such a feature away into a ‘maybe one day in the far future’ pile and not as something that we may log in on a random Tuesday and be surprised to discover has been implemented.

Thank you very much for letting us know. And again, thank you for all the effort dedicated to resolving the issues many of us were having with the trading post. It is a joy to use once again, instead of being something that brought dread.

TP UI very slow

shadow.6174

Oh I see, that’s nice to hear. And again thanks for the fixes and stuff, and thanks for letting us know too

TP UI very slow

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

Thanks much for the responses Pat Cavit!

Clarity is always nice, and I can also confirm that the TP is functioning a lot smoother right now than it was for the past few months.