Target change against my will; ruins combat

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

So today I was in WvW fighting 1v1 with an enemy Guardian in Stonemist Castle, on top of one of the outer walls. Every couple seconds, my target would change to “Fortified Wall” because every time I used mouse controls to move the camera, the game for some reason would think I wanted to target the wall instead of the enemy player. This made it completely 100% impossible for me to fight the Guardian without standing still, which is impossible as I am a mesmer. I literally had to jump off the wall and get out of the fight because 80% of my skills were missing, due to spontaneously targeting the wall instead of the player.

This completely ruins any kind of active combat. If I want to move the camera while fighting, forget it. I move around a LOT as a mesmer. Dodging, blinking, putting up feedbacks, going stealth and moving, etc. You cannot possibly expect me to stand still while fighting, or take 2 seconds to use arrow keys to turn my characters model. Please fix this, as it is tier 1 in urgency. It is not something to be put on the back burner. Active combat is ruined by this bug!

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Yunjii Sun.3512

Yunjii Sun.3512

I had that annoying bug too, and I’m playing thief.

“We don’t make grindy games — we leave the grind to other MMOs.”

-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Nostrabobus.2913

Nostrabobus.2913

I have experienced this a WHOLE LOT. I thought it was a game client generated entry of the ‘F’ key [Interact] because it also happens when out of combat as I run past a touchable/interactive object and my character stops to pick up/revive/whatever the object. And yes, in combat this problem is at its worst. The problem forces you to rotate thru targets or find it with the mouse. This is a BIG game play issue!

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

It happens when you click on something to drag your camera, and I’m not sure if it’s really a bug or just extremely myopic design. Unfortunately it’s been pointed out many, many times and is still as present and annoying as ever.

There really needs to be a toggle for target selection on left and right click. It’s hideous trying to manage the camera when you have to consciously avoid selectable objects with your bloody view controls. Not to mention that when the screen is so full of effects you can’t see the cursor, and there are so many selectables you couldn’t avoid them anyway, you’re basically just screwed. Keeping to a single target becomes nigh impossible. Even keeping to an enemy target can be problematic.

…and it would easily have been prevented with two check boxes.

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

It happens when you click on something to drag your camera, and I’m not sure if it’s really a bug or just extremely myopic design. Unfortunately it’s been pointed out many, many times and is still as present and annoying as ever.

There really needs to be a toggle for target selection on left and right click. It’s hideous trying to manage the camera when you have to consciously avoid selectable objects with your bloody view controls. Not to mention that when the screen is so full of effects you can’t see the cursor, and there are so many selectables you couldn’t avoid them anyway, you’re basically just screwed. Keeping to a single target becomes nigh impossible. Even keeping to an enemy target can be problematic.

One thing that would help on that would be to have a option to lock the camera view behind your char, so that your view is looking the same way as your char is looking. I’ve had the same thing happen. You’re trying to move the view around to see what you’re char is attacking and you end up targeting something else.

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

One thing that would help on that would be to have a option to lock the camera view behind your char, so that your view is looking the same way as your char is looking. I’ve had the same thing happen. You’re trying to move the view around to see what you’re char is attacking and you end up targeting something else.

I ‘steer’ exclusively with right click, and even in doing so it’ll still happen. Are you suggesting the mouse not turn anything at all? or like permanently holding right click, so your mouse always steers you? I suppose in theory anything that stopped you clicking in the first place would do it, but I’d find either of those pretty annoying compared to just being able to tell the game ‘<- this button over here selects stuff and turns the camera independently, this button over here turns the camera and steers you if moving, it doesn’t select anything, ever ->’ or vice versa.

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

I ‘steer’ exclusively with right click, and even in doing so it’ll still happen. Are you suggesting the mouse not turn anything at all? or like permanently holding right click, so your mouse always steers you? I suppose in theory anything that stopped you clicking in the first place would do it, but I’d find either of those pretty annoying compared to just being able to tell the game ‘<- this button over here selects stuff and turns the camera independently, this button over here turns the camera and steers you if moving, it doesn’t select anything, ever ->’ or vice versa.

No, I’m suggesting that the camera view be locked to the char’s view, but that the camera rotation for looking around be unchanged except that one’s view would snap back to the direction the char is facing when you finish looking around. WoW had this option for a long time but for who knows what reason they did away with it, which was IMHO, stupid as hell.

Other MMOs I’ve played have had this option too and it dos’nt seem like it’d be hard to implement. It sure beats having to manually turn the camera view to match your char’s view, which can be a PITA when you’re in combat because you have enough to deal with without having to re-align your view as well.

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”