Targeting

Targeting

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Belryn.1456

Belryn.1456

Hello,

maybe this is some kind of personal problem, but the targeting isn’t working very well for me. I always lose my selected targets, without intentionally selecting a new one – especially in WvW this is very frustrating. I think it has to do something with losing line of sight (but it happens without the target moving out of a specific range).

Thanks and Regards,
Belryn

Targeting

Posted by: Eivene.9127

Eivene.9127

I still find this very difficult to manage as well when I play with autotargeting. In the general options there is a tickbox by “Promote Skill Target”, which automatically locks your target when you attack it. I’ve found that for me it really helps a lot. Might want to check that out

Without it, targeting still seems very frantic and jumpy, though.

Perfectionists’ Cult [NICE] - Family Friendly PvE/WvW community
Sanctum of Rall

(edited by Eivene.9127)

Targeting

Posted by: rinzler.4908

rinzler.4908

Targeting is terrible in this game.

It is because targets are selected with “tab” OR “left-click-down”

When targets should be selected with “tab” OR “left-click-down” + “left-click-up”

so you would have to left click down then left click up to select a new target, not just on the down event of your left click

Targeting

Posted by: Maze.5104

Maze.5104

I routinely run into a problem where I hit tab expecting it to target the closest mob only to find it locked me on to something 50 yards away. So if I do not pay close attention I attack and accidentally aggro that mob and everything in between. Just seems counter-intuitive to me. Unless I am misunderstanding how the tab key is definied in this game.

Rath Mazeborn- Sylvari Elementalist
Maze Rathbottom- Asura Guardian
Snugglesworth M D- Charr Engineer

Targeting

Posted by: theli.3542

theli.3542

I think that tab targeting needs to be revised too.I mostly do pve and experiencing the situation that Maze mentions.Here is en example ;
I target a mob in front of me with tab , let say mob A
there is also mob B which is behind mob A
then suddenly mob C comes into scene and stays between me and mob A
i keep attacking mob A , when mob A is about die i press tab assuming it will select the mob C which is closer to me than mob B
but targeting selects mob B causing unintended agro.

Sure there is an algorithmic solution for this and hope Arenanet will implement it.

Human Ranger
Aurora Glade – Aetheria guild

(edited by theli.3542)

Targeting

Posted by: Airee.5046

Airee.5046

Sometimes targeting with left click just don’t want to work. I need to reload gw2 to fix it :S

Aurora Glade – Ghosts Under Fortress
Salvia Splendens – Sylvari Necromancer

Targeting

Posted by: Hologramx.6402

Hologramx.6402

Auto targeting is just hilarious. Auto target should not target anything not in combat if you are in combat. This is the basic of auto targeting. You never want to target anything not in combat if you are in combat. Current Auto Target is mostly Auto Trouble. Tab Targeting should always put higher priority in all in-combat enemies than not-in-combat enemies as well. This is a simple rule that favor everyone and they should not leave it out of their codes.

Targeting

Posted by: whitepaws.1523

whitepaws.1523

Sure there is an algorithmic solution for this and hope Arenanet will implement it.

you know that besides the “next enemy” which is bound to the tab-key there is also a “nearest enemy” which is by default unbound. So the mechanic you want to have is already in there.

Targeting

Posted by: theli.3542

theli.3542

you know that besides the “next enemy” which is bound to the tab-key there is also a “nearest enemy” which is by default unbound. So the mechanic you want to have is already in there.

Thank you mate , gonna check it out.This will help me alot.

Human Ranger
Aurora Glade – Aetheria guild

Targeting

Posted by: Koolthulu.9682

Koolthulu.9682

Also, Next/Nearest Enemy should never select a yellow target, only red. If there are no red mobs in the area it should select nothing. Yellow targets should require a click. I hate being in the middle of a big fight and next thing I know I am attacking a barrel.

Targeting

Posted by: Thalzion.1378

Thalzion.1378

Yes these are most annoying things. Targetting should happen on mouse click, not on mouse press, as I use mouse to move, not to target. When I use mouse to pan, it messes the target to random player instead of keeping it on the enemy I chose.

And shooting neutral mobs automatically is annoying. For example when a mob walks away and I don’t shoot it anymore. Then I walk a bit and suddenly I start automatically shooting the mob again, even though I didn’t want to shoot it anymore.

Targeting

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

Yes these are most annoying things. Targetting should happen on mouse click, not on mouse press, as I use mouse to move, not to target. When I use mouse to pan, it messes the target to random player instead of keeping it on the enemy I chose.

And shooting neutral mobs automatically is annoying. For example when a mob walks away and I don’t shoot it anymore. Then I walk a bit and suddenly I start automatically shooting the mob again, even though I didn’t want to shoot it anymore.

All of this.

Also, be careful with “Promote Skill Target,” especially in conjunction with “Auto-target.” I’ve been running around, looking for the nearest enemy (which, with the current system, happens to be a golden moa rather than the zombie pirate behind it), when I used a shout (usually “Retreat!”) to make myself go faster or recover from combat. Apparently, I used that skill on the current (originally non-aggressive) target, so then I start auto-attacking it due to the promotion of the skill target.

With any luck, it’s a bug that will be fixed before the moa population suffers more than it has.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Targeting

Posted by: StormcrowX.9236

StormcrowX.9236

Some suggestions:

1) introduce separate keys for targetting nearest npc or nearest object. These were useful features in guild wars and I do not understand the reason for their removal.

2) “tab” should not target allies, green, or yellow npcs. this is really annoying anet.

3) The red circle under an enemy is hard to see. Enable us to make it bigger, or visible all the time. Or add a glow option, that you can turn on or off. I know some people dislike glow because it breaks immersion but it would be nice as an option for those of us who have visibility issues.

added: mobs suspended in water have no red circle AT ALL. just wanted to point that out.

4) add a cancel-action key. please.

ps. i disabled autoattack because its buggy and annoying. My ele either ends up aggroing everything on the screen, or he repeatedly keeps spamming 1 on a target that is out of reach and I can’t make it stop.

You are not one of their “most dedicated players”. Don’t worry, neither am I apparently.
-NaughtyProwler.8653

(edited by StormcrowX.9236)

Targeting

Posted by: polarity.8906

polarity.8906

Nearest mob with a red nametag that is in a cone in front of you, then cycle within that cone.

Auto target on ability use should only activate if you do not currently have a live target. At the moment it switches to a different target if the one you have moves out of your field of fire (if you don’t hit a button, it still turns off auto-attack).

I’m sick of hitting some random yellow mob off to my side, and getting more aggro, just because my target briefly got behind me.

(edited by polarity.8906)

Targeting

StormcrowX.9236

chain lightning currently hits yellow mobs as well. anet fix please.

You are not one of their “most dedicated players”. Don’t worry, neither am I apparently.
-NaughtyProwler.8653

(edited by StormcrowX.9236)

Targeting

Posted by: nachdenki.2637

nachdenki.2637

The problem with this is that it is bugged. It only takes into account the enemies you have on your screen. If you know an enemy is behind you and you are, for example, running away and want to target it – no chance. It just doesn’t do it. You have to move the camera until you see the enemy, then press the buttons, and then it will.

Targeting

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

chain lightning currently hits yellow mobs as well. anet fix please.

I think just about everything does. “Binding Blade” is always fetching me some sort of surprised/annoyed wildlife.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Targeting

Posted by: Baxuz.1943

Baxuz.1943

Another irritating behaviour is auto-targetting mobs in front of your character even if he is looking at the screen.

Camera control issues – a documented list
No longer blowing up stuff up on Gandara [CM] :(

Targeting

Posted by: Von Adder.2487

Von Adder.2487

“I routinely run into a problem where I hit tab expecting it to target the closest mob only to find it locked me on to something 50 yards away. So if I do not pay close attention I attack and accidentally aggro that mob and everything in between. Just seems counter-intuitive to me. Unless I am misunderstanding how the tab key is definied in this game.”

This ^

The engine targetting distant and not nearest enemies is a constant headache, especially in large group fights!

Targeting

Posted by: Aseyhe.2948

Aseyhe.2948

Esc or the “stow / draw weapons” keybind

Targeting

Posted by: DeonCadme.4971

DeonCadme.4971

Just want to add to this thread that targeting have given me trouble in the past but today, 12th September was worse then ever.

Examples:

• You have several enemies in front of yourself and the auto targeting system decides that the one standing furthest in the back, on the right side is the biggest threat.
  • The target is sometimes lost for unknown reason, then the auto targeting system decides that it should lock on a friendly animal in the surroundings.
  • The autotargeting system decided that a cage in the background was a lot more important then the opponents…

etc…

It really looks like someone has to go in and improve the code for targeting a bit, something does not feel right when you fight.

Targeting

StormcrowX.9236

Esc or the “stow / draw weapons” keybind

Tried that, it doesnt seem too effective, the response time seems to be quite slow. I haven’t been able to cancel mid-cast yet.

-NaughtyProwler.8653