Terrible lag

Terrible lag

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Pax.3548

Pax.3548

I’m having some high ping problems these last days, first time ever since playing gw2, at one point (during tangled depths meta) the lag was so horrible I had MINUTES delay instead of the usual few seconds delay when using skills (whats even more curious is that the action around me was pretty fluid, other players were just fighting the chak gerent normally). While this was happening I checked my internet speed and surprisingly it was fine, I could get to any page I wanted without noticeable delay.
So, i checked the forums and posts and used this program pingplotter and got two images of the two times i’ve used it by now, but I don’t have the knowlegde to read it, can anyone say to me if the problem is on my side or on anet’s?

Attachments:

Terrible lag

Pax.3548

this is the second image

Attachments:

Terrible lag

Pax.3548

Just noticed I posted this on the wrong section, sorry!
I would appreciate it if anyone can help me read this data though.

Terrible lag

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

So… the good news and the bad news are the same: both of those show substantial packet loss between your computer and your router, and also between your router and your ISP. Those first couple of hops.

That’s bad news, in the sense that it says the problem is with your network. That’s never fun.

The good news is that it also means that you can work directly to resolve it. Look to, eg, replacing the cable if this is wired, or reducing congestion or moving closer to the AP if wireless. That should help with the packet loss on the way to your modem.

You should also talk to your ISP about the packet loss, since that second hop is “their” equipment — the stuff between your modem and their network.

Finally, loading web pages is much less obviously hurt by packet loss at low levels. They just retransmit the information, and it takes a fraction of a second longer for the page to load. In an online game, though, you see delays in skill activation, rubber-banding and teleporting as the game resyncs state with the server, etc.

It’s also possible that the issue is some sort of throttling or packet filtering gone bad, in which case it only breaks GW2 (and similar games), but not so much other things. Again, this would be local to your network or ISP, and it’s definitely not the first place to start investigating.

Terrible lag

Pax.3548

thank you for your answer! knowing where the problem lies allows me to plan what to do, and now that I know the problem is on my side, I’ll see if I can fix this somehow, thanks for the advice too, I will try them out