The Machine in Action[bug] (lvl 19 personal story)

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Dimond.1763

Dimond.1763

Playing as a norn warrior who chose blacking out for their personal story. Currently stuck on The Machine in Action I cant continue past the first objective. I’ve waited about 10 mins, tried talking to everyone in the story instance but nothing happens

Posted by: Shaggrock.8316

Shaggrock.8316

I have the same exact problem. Can’t move the story on no matter what I do.

Posted by: Dimond.1763

Dimond.1763

The fact that this story has a bug so early on is very disappointing. I just hit lvl 80 two nights ago, all without doing any story from lvl 19. It’s a long and painful grind

Posted by: Polluxor.5970

Polluxor.5970

Same here, nothing happens past the first objective. PLaying as Norn engineer.
Edit: I managed to complete it by leaving the instance (just walk out into the red area) and when I came back it was all fine.

(edited by Polluxor.5970)

Posted by: SDSkuld.9352

SDSkuld.9352

I am having this problem too. I have not yet tried restarting the instance, but I did notice that by talking to Ballista repeatedly I can improve my chosen personality trait as much as I like. I didn’t, but I did have to do it enough to be sure the bar was moving.

Posted by: Erendar.2807

Erendar.2807

I’m stuck on the same part as well. I’ve tried resetting the instance, logging out, changing characters, etc. Nothing works.

Posted by: solidsnake.2047

solidsnake.2047

Same problem here, stuck after first objective with everyone just standing around

Posted by: Jason King.2647

Jason King.2647

Live Response Embed

Next

Unfortunately, we’ve been unable to reproduce this on our end. If you could provide additional details, such as whether you were doing this solo or as a group, what your profession was, and any other details that you took before getting stuck, we’d appreciate it! A screenshot is always a plus as well. Thanks for the reports!

ArenaNet Community Team
Live Response Embed

Posted by: CHunterX.4083

CHunterX.4083

If this is occurring every time said user attempts the mission, wouldn’t it be easier to simply join said user and parse all the information as they play through the mission? I’m sure there are dozens and dozens of players willing to do this if it means a quicker fix to the issue.

Posted by: UncleThomson.6428

UncleThomson.6428

Unfortunately, we’ve been unable to reproduce this on our end. If you could provide additional details, such as whether you were doing this solo or as a group, what your profession was, and any other details that you took before getting stuck, we’d appreciate it! A screenshot is always a plus as well. Thanks for the reports!

It seems that there are multiple issues with events which trigger other events. Sometimes NPCs just get stuck without triggering, (maybe because something says it can’t be triggered because it was just triggered before – I don’t know how you do it so I can just make wild guesses, I was just annoyed by the mess of the Kennelmaster quest in the Iron Marches where all dogs barked at nothing and then for some suddenly something triggered after several minutes…)

IMO you need a timeout for each event. If it isn’t over after x seconds it should reset. Something like that. This reset may not be very beatiful (NPCs beaming around, don’t know) but it would really help.

Posted by: Zealz.8127

Zealz.8127

Same problem. tried logging, walking into red area…everything to no avail

Posted by: Puppz.7123

Puppz.7123

For me it failed every time i tried to skip through the cutscene. Could be unrelated but it worked the first time i let the cutscene go all the way through.

Posted by: Samsarrah.4931

Samsarrah.4931

My other half couldn’t get this to progress tonight either. He’s playing a Norn Warrior with weapon and armor smithing. I don’t recall the rest of his personal story choices at character creation, but we both had the blacked-out-drinking choice so our personal story has been progressing together. I’d actually just completed the last few stages in his instances.

He was owner of the instance again. We got the first cut scene and completed the first objective “Meet with Ballista and her warband outsinde Grendich Ruins” but the next objective never triggered or showed up on the tracker and all of the Charr just stood around. We wandered down into the tunnel and all around and tried talking to all the NPCs. We eventually exited by running out to the edge of the instance. We re-entered, again with him as instance owner. We skipped over the cut scene this time, but the same thing happened where the next objective never triggered and the Charr just stood around.

I did a search and found that this thread about someone, specifically a warrior, having the same issue. So we exited again and I entered first. We watched the cut scene and very soon after the event progressed (the charges went off) and the rest of the story proceeded just fine to the end. So my character could progress it. My character is a Norn (obviously?) Engineer, leatherworker and huntsman crafting professions. He’s also all nobility/dignity for personality (the warrior is mostly ferocity) if that might be worth knowing. His character level was 28 I think, and mine was 35 or 36 at the time, if I recall correctly. The only other notable differences might be that I had an elite skill equipped and he’s not high enough level for one yet.

Posted by: Jason King.2647

Previous

Jason King.2647

Live Response Embed

My other half couldn’t get this to progress tonight either. He’s playing a Norn Warrior with weapon and armor smithing. I don’t recall the rest of his personal story choices at character creation, but we both had the blacked-out-drinking choice so our personal story has been progressing together. I’d actually just completed the last few stages in his instances.

He was owner of the instance again. We got the first cut scene and completed the first objective “Meet with Ballista and her warband outsinde Grendich Ruins” but the next objective never triggered or showed up on the tracker and all of the Charr just stood around. We wandered down into the tunnel and all around and tried talking to all the NPCs. We eventually exited by running out to the edge of the instance. We re-entered, again with him as instance owner. We skipped over the cut scene this time, but the same thing happened where the next objective never triggered and the Charr just stood around.

I did a search and found that this thread about someone, specifically a warrior, having the same issue. So we exited again and I entered first. We watched the cut scene and very soon after the event progressed (the charges went off) and the rest of the story proceeded just fine to the end. So my character could progress it. My character is a Norn (obviously?) Engineer, leatherworker and huntsman crafting professions. He’s also all nobility/dignity for personality (the warrior is mostly ferocity) if that might be worth knowing. His character level was 28 I think, and mine was 35 or 36 at the time, if I recall correctly. The only other notable differences might be that I had an elite skill equipped and he’s not high enough level for one yet.

Thank you for the details! We’ll take another look at this and see if we can identify what’s breaking.

ArenaNet Community Team
Live Response Embed

Posted by: demonafla.9603

demonafla.9603

I deleted my questions as I was able to figure out what to do to completed the story line today after it initially bugged for me.

I read the posts here first and did not really see any suggestions. I then logged in and out of the game after my second unsuccessful attempt. On my third try, afte completeing the cutscene with no “skipping”, I walked up the stairs directly in front of the war band. This spawned ghosts and I was then able to complete the story line to the end. Not sure if this helps anyone or not.

Posted by: Tearex.8513

Tearex.8513

So may i ask why this still hasnt been fixed? I’m a lvl 21 drunk norn warrior, and whenever I try this story quest i just get stuck after the first objective. I meet at the designated area and kill all of the ghosts that spawn, but then it still says as my objective that I have to kill all the ghosts. The troops supporting me just go back in formation and stand there doing nothing. I have tried everything; walking through the entire area, including the underground; I have tried killing everyone using the chugger; I have tried standing in different locations while killing them, and also I have let the cutscene go by without skipping. I dont know what to do and this just messes up my entire game as I can not do any of the story from now on…

Posted by: Naivea.5238

Naivea.5238

Way to necro….. if you read all the other bugs in the forums today they are almost ALL about personal story not being able to progress… its a bug from todays patch

Posted by: Vshera.4192

Vshera.4192

So may i ask why this still hasnt been fixed? I’m a lvl 21 drunk norn warrior, and whenever I try this story quest i just get stuck after the first objective. I meet at the designated area and kill all of the ghosts that spawn, but then it still says as my objective that I have to kill all the ghosts. The troops supporting me just go back in formation and stand there doing nothing. I have tried everything; walking through the entire area, including the underground; I have tried killing everyone using the chugger; I have tried standing in different locations while killing them, and also I have let the cutscene go by without skipping. I dont know what to do and this just messes up my entire game as I can not do any of the story from now on…

I am also doing this on my Norn Thief level 27, I’ve killed all ghosts and nothing is happening after that. I am just standing there with the other Charrs waiting for next part but it seems like it will not happen :/ this makes me want to delete the character and change story but it is not worth it it imo.