Thief Bugs: 10+ [Updated August 6]

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

Intro

Teleport paths and basic mechanic

• Every player has probably experienced a teleport bug on either a thief, mesmer, guardian or ele.
    But this bug is mostly common with the thief as shadowsteps use a slightly different mechanic to find its way to the target location. With a shadowstep, you must be able to walk the way (without jumping) to the target location, in order to succesfully land the shadowstep. If there is a ledge for example, you will most likely get teleported against (or even inside) the ledge.
    (See this post for great video examples)

Intention of this thread

• I will list as many bugs as I can find in the Thief forums. I will also add bugs that are common with any other profession. Everyone should feel free to post any bugs related to the Thief.
Bugs

01. Infiltrator Strike

• Infiltrator Strike fails a lot; results in fake teleports where you teleport to the target, don’t hit the target, and get teleported straight back without using Infiltrators Return. This has nothing to do with the path that needs to be traveled. As this somtimes occurs while standing on a flat surface within range of your target. Video

02. Infiltrators Return

• Just like Infiltrator Strike, there is a similar bug with Infiltrators Return. When this skill almost expires, this skill will fail. Even tough you succesfully managed to cast it within time limit.
  • The cast time is .5 seconds instead of the supposed 0.25

03. Steal

• Steal has had a small change a little while ago. Steal is now very irresponsive. Altough its insta cast. When laggy, this skill also fails to put you in the right location (with los). You end up with Steal on cooldown, without having any stolen skill or boons from it. Thread Video
  • Steal in combination with thrill of the crime will give you boons without hitting a target. Like the description says, working as intended. But Bountiful Theft does not give you vigor, with the same description. Video

04. Scorpion Wire

• This skill only knocks down your foe more often than pulling him toward you.
  • This skill is more often than not, obstructed by pebbles. Thread Video
* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

(edited by Menzies The Heretic.3415)

Menzies The Heretic.3415

05. Roll for Initiative & Withdraw

• A visual bug; it looks like you are rolling on the spot. When the roll ends, you will teleport to the location where your roll would normally end. Video

06. Immobilize Stuck

• When immobilized, Withdraw and Roll for Initiative must be spammed multiple times before they activate. They both cure immobilize, so these skills should instead cure these conditions instantly. Other skills with cast times, like Infiltrators Return, are having the same problem.
  • While being shot in mid air, or while using a leap, will get you stuck. You have to /dance your way out. Video
  • Pistol Whip is interrupted when you are immobilized. Instead of finishing the animation, this skill is interrupted halfway trough. Video
  • With the amount of immobilization stacking, and the other bugs related to immobilize, makes this mechanic feel very clunky. And damages the smooth feel of the game completely. (Especially with all the particle effects flying around, in which case you have no idea why your character is both totally rooted and unable to do anything usefull) Thread

Menzies The Heretic.3415

07. Mug & Hidden Thief

• With the latest patch, these two traits now makes you visible again right after you gain stealth from Hidden Thief. Because Mug deals damage slightly later than it normally would due to the latest steal “fix”. Thread Video

08. Practiced Tolerance

• It doesn’t synergize with Signet of Agility (you gain no extra vitality from the trait)

Menzies The Heretic.3415

09. Targeting UI

• This is not really a bug. Its more of a design flaw.
    When you quickly try to escape a fight with Infiltrators Arrow or Shadowstep, you somtimes end up at your current location because you targeted the UI. When you target a character with a lot of boons and random buffs, it is sometimes exactely in the way of where you want to teleport. Here is a video of what I’m talking about: Video

End of Bug List—-

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Stealth bug

I drop shadow refuge, gain stealth (stealth animation on character and the stealth icon on the buff bar), then suddenly I drop stealth while doing nothing, ie, I didn’t deal any dmg to gain revealed, no engi gunk either. It’s not the stealth animation bug that makes my character visible on my screen after shadowstepping or something, I actually get revealed icon on my buff bar.

This has happened to me during past 2-3 weeks. First in wvw, I just thought I accidentally dealt some dmg somehow so didn’t think it was a bug. But over past 1 week, I played some spvp too and it happened to me there more often than in wvw (I guess cos fights are more available in pvp).

In most occurences I saw no ranger around who could use sic em. But even then, I wouldn’t gain stealth in first place. I am sure I didn’t set off stealth trap since it has animation I’d notice (there are not stealth traps in spvp anyway).

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Menzies The Heretic.3415

Stealth bug

I drop shadow refuge, gain stealth (stealth animation on character and the stealth icon on the buff bar), then suddenly I drop stealth while doing nothing, ie, I didn’t deal any dmg to gain revealed, no engi gunk either. It’s not the stealth animation bug that makes my character visible on my screen after shadowstepping or something, I actually get revealed icon on my buff bar.

Hmm, do think you can reproduce this bug?
Do you have any traps slotted anyway?

Jayden Ennok.3687

I don’t use traps at all. The bug is so rare I doubt I could reproduce it on purpose.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Posted by: Dakota.4591

Dakota.4591

I don’t use traps at all. The bug is so rare I doubt I could reproduce it on purpose.

Do you leave the area of the shadow refuge before it fades away? If so, getting revealed when you leave the circle was an intended change made some time back for pvp purposes. If you stay in the full duration, you shouldn’t be getting revealed.

Jayden Ennok.3687

Do you leave the area of the shadow refuge before it fades away? If so, getting revealed when you leave the circle was an intended change made some time back for pvp purposes. If you stay in the full duration, you shouldn’t be getting revealed.

Didn’t leave SR before it faded.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Posted by: Sparrow.5936

Sparrow.5936

Practiced Tolerance doesn’t synergize with Signet of Agility (no extra vitality fro mthe trait)

Menzies The Heretic.3415

Practiced Tolerance doesn’t synergize with Signet of Agility (no extra vitality fro mthe trait)

I’ll check it out

Posted by: Psymon.4750

Psymon.4750

dont forget scorpion wire being obstructed like lb was at times

Menzies The Heretic.3415

Very good one, thanks for posting!

Posted by: Rome.3192

Rome.3192

More of an exploit than a bug with sword 2: you jump and cast it, it will port you but using return won’t port you back. You can use this to chase a target indefinitely. Huge spammable gap close on demand.

Thief

Posted by: knyy.6427

knyy.6427

nice listing. didnt know all the bugs. went here for the steal bug!

Menzies The Heretic.3415

nice listing. didnt know all the bugs. went here for the steal bug!

Don’t get your hopes up

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

add any port in mid of HS bug https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4LAIOajpI

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

09. Targeting UI

• This is not really a bug. Its more of a design flaw.
    When you quickly try to escape a fight with Infiltrators Arrow or Shadowstep, you somtimes end up at your current location because you targeted the UI. When you target a character with a lot of boons and random buffs, it is sometimes exactely in the way of where you want to teleport. Here is a video of what I’m talking about: Video

End of Bug List—-

You can get around this by using the simple UI feature. I also have this issue sometimes (primarily in pve with hero banner buff) on mesmer.

Posted by: Nutjob.9021

Nutjob.9021

I suspect bugs 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 are because the game has trouble handling lag. Whether it’s your internet or server based, things get a little out of synch and the server doesn’t know what to do or the correct order in which to do things. One solution is for the server to “trust” what your computer tells it more. The downside of this is that it makes certain types of cheating easier to do.

Bug #4 is just stupid and needs to be fixed.

They may have fixed bug #7.

No comments on the other bugs as of now.

Menzies The Heretic.3415

I don’t think this thread needs to be updated. We all know the fact that thief needs some attention.

Posted by: Shinzee.1597

Shinzee.1597

If the skill Haste is on cooltime and you switch in the signet of shadows/agility they are going automatically on the same cooltime as Haste currently is.

Video