Two accounts + NPE bug(?)

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Groonz.7825

Groonz.7825

I’m not sure if this bug if because of having 2 accounts or because GW2 has recently been having connectivity issues.

But it seems to be apparent when I switch between my accounts, one is my main, the other is just a fresh account with not much use. For that new account I’ve been using it to do the maize farm. With that being said, I’m using newly created characters for this because of the NPE and how things are locked (I’m assuming this is the issue) when I switch back to my main account, my guild options are bugged/hidden. I can’t see my guilds on my main account. It’s almost as if the 2nd account’s NPE locked features are carrying over when I switch accounts. Similiarly I can’t also join parties as I’m sure that is also locked out from the NPE.

I’m pretty sure this is the case. As I’ve just tested it and it feels like this is the issue.

1. Logged into 2nd account on a character with the NPE where things are locked.
2. Log out and log into main account. Guild are hidden.

To fix, I have to constantly relog out of my main account and hope that the guild functions are back (remove the NPE unlocks).

Posted by: LyricDawnhagen.7803

LyricDawnhagen.7803

When you are switching between the two accounts, are you exiting the game completely or are you using the “Log Out” menu item?

I only have one account so I cannot test this but one possibility I can think of is that if you use the “Log Out” selection, the game logs out the account but perhaps does not completely log out of the guild and chat servers. So those connection might be a bit “persistent” and the game client does not properly reset them when you use the other accounts credentials. I do not know if this is the case but I can see it as a possibility.

If you exit the game client completely and restart it when you switch accounts (instead of using Log Out), do you have the same issue?

Posted by: Groonz.7825

Groonz.7825

You had a good theory. So tried it out but unfortunately even using the “exit to desktop” option when I was on the new account. And then launched GW2 to log into my main account, it still had the locked features enabled, which to fix I had to exit out of the client and launch it back.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You could always try a -repair of the client, in case of corrupted files. Top of Page – Support – Search (Repair)

Good luck.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t have two accounts for GW2, but I did for GW1 and there were a number of settings and various temporary files used by the game that could sometimes interfere with each other. I dealt with this by having two copies of the game in two different folders (somewhat harder to do with GW2, because the file sizes are much, much larger).

Among the advantages of using two installations:

• Could setup automatic login for both.
  • No cross-account settings/temp file contamination.
  • Multiboxing option using same computer (and virtualization).

PS Instead of downloading updates twice, I set up a batch file to copy the .exe and .dat files from the main account’s folder to the secondary folder, although this can be done using copy & paste, too. Feel free to PM me if you want help setting something like this up.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”