how to handle cheaters and hackers

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Struct.7453

Struct.7453

Hi Anet dev! I saw a really cool video on how other games handle cheaters. I wondered if ANET was doing something similar. I liked the idea of an unkillable character that continues to hunt players down in different game modes griefing them.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

I don’t know how they handle it and I believe it depends on the case.

However, once a GM gained control of an account from a player that was cheating in PvP. Then they took the char to Divinity’s Reach, stripped down all gear and then did a jump to death from the hightest point in the city and then logged off and deleted the char. All this was recorded and there is a video of it somewhere.

Not sure if it’s the common practice from them to do these things though.

Posted by: Odik.4587

Odik.4587

However, once a GM gained control of an account from a player that was cheating in PvP. Then they took the char to Divinity’s Reach, stripped down all gear and then did a jump to death from the hightest point in the city and then logged off and deleted the char. All this was recorded and there is a video of it somewhere.

Sounds like savagery and make no sense ,like why would you do suicide jump as GM and delete a character ? That guy need permanent ban instead,lol . I seen plently of hackers but Anet dont have any type of protection in their game, thats the problem . They are too busy doing next expansion or something like that.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

Other than the example shadow mentioned, Anet tend to keep thier bans low key. However they sometimes respond when public compliants are made by the banned party. I remember a youtuber made a video about being banned, Anet then called him/her out for botting the Wintersday JP.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Sounds like savagery and make no sense ,like why would you do suicide jump as GM and delete a character ? That guy need permanent ban instead,lol . I seen plently of hackers but Anet dont have any type of protection in their game, thats the problem . They are too busy doing next expansion or something like that.

The guy got banned, even the GM who did the vid said that. I don’t know why the GM did that, maybe it was in response to complaints or whatever reason. The thing is, they indeed ban cheaters but I’m sure they rarely do that public shame on them. Also yes, they have protections, but you know, it’s like viruses, it keeps evolving faster than the defense mechanisms, so do cheater’s techniques.

Well, thanks to the “working” [sarcasm self-test completed :P] search I can’t find the thread with a link for that vid.

Edit: Oh here we go: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Blacktide-Thief-Hacker-Strikes-again-part-10/5033684

(edited by shadow.6174)

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Here’s a full report about the circumstances, with links to the GM post as well as the video: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32654414