known issue tracker is a joke

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Alexander.6250

Alexander.6250

This game has a ridiculous amount of bugs and most of the major ones have been around since launch 4 years ago. On the known-issue tracker page only less than 1% of known buggs is listed. They say ’we’re looking into it’ but nothing ever gets done.
It’s like they’re not even trying….

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

And yet the Tracker states that not all bugs are listed.

I imagine the one Dev responsible for editing the page is extra busy lately.
Fixed bugs are listed in every set of patch notes, and many are fixed without acknowledgement. Of course, some bugs take longer to fix than the playerbase would prefer.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The “Known Issue Tracker” is a list compiled by a single developer, based on their best understanding of (a) stuff that we care about and (b) that they can usefully describe the status. It isn’t meant to cover all issues nor even most issues reported in the forums (let alone elsewhere).

Essentially if there’s an issue of concern to you:

• It’s easier to find the status if it’s on the tracker.
  • You’re in the same boat as everyone else if it’s not.

It’s not meant to do anything more than that.

Stuff gets fixed with every patch, sometimes the fixes are well documented and sometimes not. It is exactly like they are trying their darnedest.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Alexander.6250

If it only list this very small fraction off bugs and their status it’s pretty much useless to have a page like that imho. Or at least change the name to: small list of some things we are trying to fix…
I wish Anet could let us know if they’re actually working on solving some major problems, but we never get any real feedback on it. Some of these issues received a ’we’re looking into it’ response from a dev on the forums, some 3 years ago… still no fix..

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If it only list this very small fraction off bugs and their status

Correct, it’s a small fraction.

it’s pretty much useless to have a page like that imho.

It’s not at all useless …for those people who care about one or more of the issues listed.

For someone like me, who gets interested in all sorts of issues, I agree, it’s not as comprehensive as I’d like.

Unfortunately, to create something that tracks bugs in a way that the vast majority of players can understand (and more importantly: not misunderstand) would require devoting more time and more personnel, which means fewer people working on fixing the stuff we want fixed.

Or at least change the name to: small list of some things we are trying to fix…

I agree and I’ve requested that since it was introduced: the name creates additional confusion, rather than reducing player concerns … and reducing concerns is one of the primary values in publishing such a list.

I wish Anet could let us know if they’re actually working on solving some major problems, but we never get any real feedback on it.

I wish they could, too. But, as noted above, it’s impractical. There are just too many players and very few of us understand how software is produced, why bugs pop up, why some seemingly-simple ones take years to fix (and yet complicated ones get fixed “quickly”), etc.

And worse, no matter how much feedback we give, it will never be enough.

Some of these issues received a ’we’re looking into it’ response from a dev on the forums, some 3 years ago… still no fix..

That’s exactly why we don’t always get a response. Sometimes they start looking into it, it turns out to be more complicated than it sounds, and the priority of fixing other things takes precedence. Even when there’s a dedicated client representative working with the dev team, it can be difficult to understand all the issues and which belong where on the list.

In short, having a curated list, however limited, is better than no list at all. Having a longer list would be better still, of course — all the same, we have to accept that there won’t ever be a comprehensive list that covers all the things that interest the majority of us, not if we want them to have enough time to actually fix stuff rather than talk to us about what’s being fixed.

Posted by: GM Awesomeness

GM Awesomeness

Self Help Administrator

You guys are right that it hasn’t been getting updated as often as it should lately. This is exactly correct:

And yet the Tracker states that not all bugs are listed.

I imagine the one Dev responsible for editing the page is extra busy lately.
Fixed bugs are listed in every set of patch notes, and many are fixed without acknowledgement. Of course, some bugs take longer to fix than the playerbase would prefer.

Several months ago I took on more responsibilities and haven’t had as much time to devote to investigating bugs as I used to. The silver lining is that I’ve trained another person on how to add bugs to the tracker, and today will be training 3 more. You should see the list grow significantly this week, and going forward it should be back to getting updated weekly (if not more often).

Regarding long-standing bugs: When we launched the tracker, I polled players here and on Reddit to collect a ton of them and added them to the tracker. Apparently some got missed, though. After I get the training and updates done today, I’ll set up another thread here and on Reddit to get another round of player suggestions.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Speaking of bugs: The ‘Support’ links (redirects [to get to the Known Issue Tracker]) on this page seem to be missing a certificate, or something…according to Firefox.

I’ve not tried other browsers, but using a direct link to help.guildwars2.com works fine (in Firefox).

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Speaking of bugs: The ‘Support’ links (redirects [to get to the Known Issue Tracker]) on this page seem to be missing a certificate, or something…according to Firefox.

I’ve not tried other browsers, but using a direct link to help.guildwars2.com works fine (in Firefox).

Works fine for me and clicking for further info shows that is is verified. This is for the English version of the site.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

One of the problems is this:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:Bugs

Players click the “Bug” link in the bug template, that takes them to the bug page, and the Bug category.

And they see all those bugs, many of which are preventing them from completing stuff, then they go to the tracker, and none is there.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Works fine for me and clicking for further info shows that is is verified. This is for the English version of the site.

Hmm. Well, Firefox has had issues of late. Here’s what I get:

en.support.guildwars2.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.guildwars2.com, guildwars2.com Error code: SSLERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN_

The error doesn’t make much sense to me, as it seems to be a *.guildwars2.com site.

Posted by: nicknamenick.2437

nicknamenick.2437

One of the problems is this:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:Bugs

Players click the “Bug” link in the bug template, that takes them to the bug page, and the Bug category.

And they see all those bugs, many of which are preventing them from completing stuff, then they go to the tracker, and none is there.

I think like 90% from these bugs are tooltip bugs..
Not really an issue, but also not much work to fix i think?..

What i dont get is that the tooltips are not automatic made/read from the skill..
Because if a skill pierces but its not on the tooltip you know they manually made those tooltips (same goes for the dmg part wich is often wrong also)

I am no programmer, but issnt it possible to let tooltips read the skill so they create there own tooltip? maby i dont see the big picture here :-)

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

I think like 90% from these bugs are tooltip bugs..
Not really an issue, but also not much work to fix i think?..

[…]

You think wrong.

Most text errors are in the text errors category.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:Text_errors

When something isn’t really game-breaking, and just kind of weird or inconsistent, then that gets marked as an anomaly.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Category:Anomalies

When a wiki editor marks something as a bug, it’s something that is clearly not right. Like collections that can’t be completed because things not working or events not triggering, instances that can’t be properly completed, or something that doesn’t do what it should do.

The closests to ‘tootip errors’ marked as bugs are skills with missing, duplicate or wrong skill facts required for players to know what the skill does. But those are always bugs.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Alexander.6250

Well some the most important bugs that still need fixing are non-functional traits, quickness being a mess (not actually working on the majority of pets/summons) and well, the entire pet system in general (pet attribute increases still do jack kitten and most pet related stuff is bugged since launch)+ a number of aftercast/rooting issues on weapon skills. This way at least the player itself is more bug-free.

Of course game-breaking bugs blocking content also take priority, but you would at least expect all traits to actually function after 3 years. Especially considering many of these issues have been known for a very long time.

Mistakes in skill description are annoying but there are way more urgent things that need fixing.

(edited by Alexander.6250)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t know…since Traits and Skills are changed/balanced all the time (every few months), I would not expect them to ‘function’ as much as something that wasn’t changed ‘after 3 years’.

Perhaps, you could list the particular Trait/Skill in the pertinent Profession sub-forum, as well, where the Devs who work on that Profession might see it. They might be able to speed along any changes.

Good luck.

Alexander.6250

So the page was updated yesterday, nothing changed in the slightest. If this was the significant update we should be expecting I am extremely disappointed.
Unless they keep their word and do a real update today or tomorrow, my original statement still stands.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So the page was updated yesterday, nothing changed in the slightest. If this was the significant update we should be expecting I am extremely disappointed.
Unless they keep their word and do a real update today or tomorrow, my original statement still stands.

As explained by many, your original statement didn’t stand when you made it. It makes even less sense after the developer who created it explained why it hasn’t been updated as much as originally intended.

Plans change, depending on what else is going on. There’s a huge patch coming on Tuesday; I’d imagine that lots of lower-priority tasks get postponed in the days proceeding the roll out.

Alexander.6250

Plans change, depending on what else is going on. There’s a huge patch coming on Tuesday; I’d imagine that lots of lower-priority tasks get postponed in the days proceeding the roll out.

Well I hope this to be true.
But the devs said: “You should see the list grow significantly this week”. And it didn’t..
So yeah I was pretty disappointed. The devs know people take issue with the way the page is set up, but they didn’t change anything anyway. At least not yet.

(FYI my original statement isn’t that ALL bugs should be on there, just that many major bugs aren’t on there. Some of them actually were, but they never got fixed anyway.)

(edited by Alexander.6250)