mac version still having kb issues

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Sorry, I could not find the mega thread, is it still here?

Anyway, I was in my guild hall doing gathering and suddenly my arrows were working but other keys were not working. I had to use my mouse to quit the client and come back. I checked and it did not switch to another keyboard.

Unfortunately this is really something that should be addressed before the 64 bit is the only option for mac people. It is not like this is a graphics bug as you can not predict when it will happen.

Posted by: Jon Olson

Jon Olson

Programmer

Next

it’s here

Anyway, I was in my guild hall doing gathering and suddenly my arrows were working but other keys were not working. I had to use my mouse to quit the client and come back. I checked and it did not switch to another keyboard.

Unfortunately this is really something that should be addressed before the 64 bit is the only option for mac people. It is not like this is a graphics bug as you can not predict when it will happen.

As I’ve stated a few times now, it’s been incredibly difficult to reproduce in-house.

I have a couple theories about it that I’d love for you to try if/when it happens again:

The first theory is to press each of the modifier keys, one at a time. Possibly testing if the keys work again after each. Left and right versions of the keys matter here too. The specific keys to try are Shift, Alt/Option, Command and Function.

The second theory is to Cmd-Tab/task-switch to another app and back. Finder works for this.

Thanks

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Menadena.7482

it’s here

Thanks, I have a tab open to it elsewhere but could not find it starting from scratch.

As I’ve stated a few times now, it’s been incredibly difficult to reproduce in-house.

I have a couple theories about it that I’d love for you to try if/when it happens again:

The first theory is to press each of the modifier keys, one at a time. Possibly testing if the keys work again after each. Left and right versions of the keys matter here too. The specific keys to try are Shift, Alt/Option, Command and Function.

The second theory is to Cmd-Tab/task-switch to another app and back. Finder works for this.

Thanks

This is only the second time it has happened to me since the client rolled out so, yes, I can see how it would be hard to replicate. Both times it was on a late 2013 imac with 24 gb of ram. The keyboard is running over bluetooth but if it were an interference problem I would expect the device to drop off completely: at least my arrow keys (how I normally navigate) worked. While my escape key did not work to bring up the main menu so I could quit I was able to do the same thing with the mouse. While I am not positive the first time it happened (when I was in the brisban cave instance in LS3CH6) I probably tried clicking on another app’s window because I had never seen it before.

Posted by: Equinox.9815

Equinox.9815

the keyboard issue is the only thing wrong with it now, i think! but it is a very big problem. i noticed that the letters for your weapon/utility skills are in lower case font and after the kb issue it is clearly in upper case/caps. but i think people would of spotted that already.

well any way back to slaying

Menadena.7482

BTW, can someone merge this into the main thread in case someone else finds the info handy? Thanks.

Posted by: Spacklesack.4231

Spacklesack.4231

It’s hard to know when it’ll start, but I’ve had it happen maybe 6 times now. Last night it happened in 2 attempts of Victory or Death. The first time was during the Mouth fight and the second was during the Moondeath fight. Before that I maybe played for 1.5 hours with no issue. I tried limiting my keyboard presses to see if that had any effect but I don’t believe it did. Playing on a late 2016 15-inch macbook pro with a G602 mouse.

Other than the keyboard issue, the new client is amazing. No more ram crashes since!

Posted by: Druitt.7629

Druitt.7629

It hit me last night. I hadn’t read this thread, but as an ex-programmer I tried pressing pretty much every key, I tabbed to other apps, made sure keys were working, and tabbed back, I even went back to the character select screen and then selected the same character again — assuming surely that would fix it — and it did not. Had to exit the program and re-launch to fix it.

Posted by: Jon Olson

Previous

Jon Olson

Programmer

New theory to test: turn off autocorrect

For newer versions of macOS this is in the Text tab of Keyboard Preferences.
For older versions of macOS this is in the Text tab of Language & Text Preferences.

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Posted by: orenwolf.1953

orenwolf.1953

Unfortunately, mine has always been off, but I do experience the issues.

I’ll try everything I can think of next time it happens, provided it doesn’t happen in the middle of a PvP match again (sigh) or something similar.

Thank you for your continued investigations. All the other issues are mere annoyances compared to this one!

Posted by: Spacklesack.4231

Spacklesack.4231

Hey Jon,

Wanted to give you feedback. I’m running Sierra 10.12.3. I tested last night with turning off “Correct spelling automatically” and the keyboard bug occurred. I then tried with “Correct spelling automatically” “Capitalize words automatically” and “Add period with double-space” and the error occurred a second time. Not sure if that’s helpful but wanted to let you know.

Thanks for all the hard work your team is doing!

Posted by: Galmac.4680

Galmac.4680

Happend right now in WvW to me, while trying to open the contact window via’Z’, while running. iMac late 2009, newest OSX, Mac 64 bit client. German keyboard layout, Apples bluetooth keyboard.
I never used this autocorrection.

What’s working:
- left and right shift
- left and right alt
- F1 (and maybe more F-keys)
- backspace
- cursor keys

What’s not working
- left crtl
- keys A to Z, 1 to 0, space, ESC

Tried to set new action keys (for example for jumping) in the options, to test if the keyboard is set to something wrong, but no key was recognised as I pressed the non working ones.

(edited by Galmac.4680)

Posted by: orenwolf.1953

orenwolf.1953

I think I have the smoking gun:

2017-08-17 19:40:11.236 GuildWars2[70764:21416937] GetCurrentInputSourceKeyboardProperties detected invalid keyboardLayout
 inputSource=<TSMInputSource 0x7ffbe9801a40> Unknown Input Source:
 (**kind=NULL**)

Posted by: Gul Desac.9526

Gul Desac.9526

Pretty much all of the left side of my keyboard stopped working. Arrow keys are OK. Happened to my on a fractal, which made my party grumpy. I am not a programmer so I don’t have much of a concept on testing things… This has happened to me a couple times now. Seems very intermittent, but when it happens, it happens when I reload the game too… Next day seems to be fine. Max OS 10.12.6 Sierra. 2.93 ghz i7.

Posted by: Gruntalka.5401

Gruntalka.5401

Auto correct fix mentioned above did get me through today without issue, hopefully this is something that can be blocked at a development level in the future. Having to disable standard features of an OS for the sake of one application is not a great long term solution.