wrong Mission in Personal Story

in Bugs: Game, Forum, Website

Posted by: Chris.4670

Chris.4670

I couldn’t find anything yet about that so i will report that here.
When you play the personal story you have to decide in"A Light in the Darkness" what you fear the most, i decided for my Team loosing the respect to me and while i was going further in the story i noticed that i got the wrong mission “Strinking Off the Chains” and i know that because i already played with that storyline aswell. So that messed up my Character because i wanted to play anonther storyline. A friend of mine got the same Issue, also he got it a second time on some later Missions ans some other decissions, but he ended up in the Apatia Storyline aswell. I hope that will get fixed and the current Mission get changed to the right one.

Posted by: Jeffrey Vaughn

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

Have you played any of the story steps with another player? There’s a known “bug” (in quotes because it works as designed, but it’s not terribly clear) where if you accept the story progress of another player, it will replace your fear choice with theirs.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Jeffrey, if that works as intended, is there an ingame warning that informs the player about that?
If not: Can you please do an eye-catching notification like (in red letters): Accepting/ Progressing your friend’s personal storyline, will change your storyline, too. (To Avoid this please do this particular storyline alone/ or as the instance owner.)

I find losing your own storyline very game breaking and I remember it was a big issue last winter.

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

It still is an issue as it has no warning and there are still no recourse options for us players that have been affected. I still have one max level geared chara that will never finish her storyline as it is no longer her storyline.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

There’s a known “bug” (in quotes because it works as designed, but it’s not terribly clear) where if you accept the story progress of another player, it will replace your fear choice with theirs.

Why would you design it that way? Besides the fact, that there’s no warning, doesn’t it discourage people from helping others in that part of the storyline?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Tanek.5983

Tanek.5983

I have been reluctant to do ANY of the personal story with friends or guildies because of this “bug”. It is possibly one of the most devastating things that can happen to someone who cares about their character’s story and background since ArenaNet has said there is no way they can reset back to what you had.

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

It is actually clealry noted when you run with another character who is running the same mission as your current level that if you choose to accept their progress, this will update your choice and story as well.

So this is actually working as intended, most people just click skip very quickly to read all the notes, i will post a screenshot here next time i run a story with a friend.

Posted by: Chris.4670

Chris.4670

Yes i played with a friend of mine, but the point is that we choose the same fear because we played the whole story together. We just switched the person who start the mission to see both characters talking and reactions. Sorry i didn’t knew that even if that is an well-known bug, just wanted to have fun with a friend together. So the only way to get back to my own path is to find a player who choosed this way and get to the key scenes of the game. Thank you for your answer.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

As far as I know it cannot be undone.

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

Next

Long technical explanation.

Player A chooses “apples” as their favorite fruit. Player B chooses “oranges”.

They do a story step together. At the end, it looks at the instance owner (the person who started the story step) and checks to see what their favorite fruit is to determine what their next story step is. Player B is asked if they want to accept the current story progress, if they do it will put them on the “Apple” step next, because that’s what the instance owner is on. So even though player B prefers oranges, they will be pushed down the apple story.

The game indirectly warns you by displaying what your next story step will be if you accept the story progress, but it’s not obvious.

I can’t tell from the original post exactly what happened, but I do know that this is how the player can get moved to the wrong chain.

Currently, there’s no way to fix this—customer service doesn’t have the ability to set a character on a specific story step.

Posted by: Gomoratoad.9867

Gomoratoad.9867

The fear quest chains actually do bug out sometimes, though. I encountered the same issue the OP described, when my boyfriend and I were leveling our first characters. We did A Light in the Darkness together, I was the instance owner, and I picked letting an innocent die as our fear. He accepted my story progress, and all was well until we finished Forging the Pact together. I was properly given Tower Down as the next quest, but my boyfriend’s quest switched over to Striking Off the Chains, even though he’d accepted my story progress at every point, and therefore should’ve stayed on the same quest path as me.

Previous

Jeffrey Vaughn

Content Designer

There was a bug at release where a player who hadn’t picked a fear (because when they did “A Light in the Darkness” another player picked the fear) could end up on a totally different path from the other player because the system picked a “default” story step to do next. That was fixed some time ago.