Arena net doesn't care about mac users

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Nova.4608

Nova.4608

Since the game release on Mac the beta have the same problems,freeze (that cause the ENTIRE FREEZE of the computer) fps drops,texture not loading,blank clients,black screen,TP not working at all,insane skill lag,camera rotation bug.
2 years,not even 1 problem has been fixed

Easy: arena net doesn’t care about mac users,I’m quitting the game until in a distant future they will fix those problems. (if the game doesn’t die at the release of Warlords of Draenor)

Posted by: DamZe.4817

DamZe.4817

Easy now….

It is not easy to develop for the Apple Mac platform, your platform has yearly OS releases which force the developer to update their software to be compatible, if they don’t do that then in a year or two the OS which supported the initial software will no longer be supported by Apple, which the end-user (you) will be penalized for.

Come to think of it, why are you complaining anyway? You belong to a niche group using mostly overpriced and underpowered (gaming wise) machines, plus the hassle of yearly OS cycles, it is not suprising that ANet can’t keep up with the Mac version, and I don’t blame them. Since the majority of their playerbase is using PCs.

If you have a capable mac machine, then just dual boot into Windows 8.1 which is much faster than Mac OS X anyway (I know from personal experience and bechmarks) and supports all the games you want.

ASUS P8H77-M, 8 GB Corsair XMS3 1333, Intel i5 3570, MSi GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2 GB Twin Frozr OC

(edited by DamZe.4817)

Nova.4608

so u think if there are more players on PC they shouldn’t care about mac users?

just to make an example: WoW have more pc users than mac users,and the mac client is PERFECT as the pc one. (and wow has more than 10Milion players.)

I’m going to install wow again if this situation doesn’t change .

Posted by: domness.6719

domness.6719

Easy now….

It is not easy to develop for the Apple Mac platform, your platform has yearly OS releases which force the developer to update their software to be compatible, if they don’t do that then in a year or two the OS which supported the initial software will no longer be supported by Apple, which the end-user (you) will be penalized for.

Come to think of it, why are you complaining anyway? You belong to a niche group using mostly overpriced and underpowered (gaming wise) machines, plus the hassle of yearly OS cycles, it is not suprising that ANet can’t keep up with the Mac version, and I don’t blame them. Since the majority of their playerbase is using PCs.

If you have a capable mac machine, then just dual boot into Windows 8.1 which is much faster than Mac OS X anyway (I know from personal experience and bechmarks) and supports all the games you want.

Woah there big man. A yearly release cycle has nothing to do with this. Not to mention, Microsoft is also moving Windows to a yearly release cycle. Technology is moving rather fast no matter what platform you are on. The company (in this case, Anet), makes a profit from selling their games, and if they can’t update them for the latest OS then they are surely going to be losing out on a lot of customers and money.

The real issue, is that ANet have released GW2 using the wrapper “Cider”. This makes certain games “playable” on other OS’s such as Linux and OS X. The issue here, is that it will never ever be fully compatible with anything but Windows until they come up with a fully native solution of their own. They have slapped the “Beta” sticker on the game so if any issues do arise, they can just say “Oh, it’s still in Beta and not the full version”. Of course, they may never release a full version unless they bring out a fully native game, or most likely, if/when they release GW3.

Now, one thing I think is hilarious is ANet’s original announcement for releasing the Mac version of GW2. I’ll leave you with this little gem which I believe to be both a complete lie or just some outdated marketing kitten.

“Bringing Guild Wars 2 to the Mac is huge for us, because it introduces the game to an entire group of players who are often ignored by game developers. The ability to play together with your friends is one of the underlying principles of Guild Wars 2, and providing a Mac client means that friends and guildmates can play together regardless of what operating system they favor.
On top of it all, ArenaNet staffers are big fans of Macs. We offer them as part of our employee laptop subsidy program, and our president Mike O’Brien is rarely seen without his Mac laptop. We’re as excited as anyone to play Guild Wars 2 on OS X.” – https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-for-mac-beta/

[OP] Optimise

Posted by: Jadjuka.6521

Jadjuka.6521

Easy now….

Hi, you must be new with Microsoft because they actually do roll out OSes on a yearly basis now to compete with Apple.

You are now also part of a small niche group that still believes Windows is a better OS for gaming. That was the idea of back then but Macs do play games well. As seen, with SWTOR, Rift, LOTRO, to name a few, haven’t done well because they cater only to a small number of PC gamers. The games that are Mac compatible however are doing decent if not well, ESO, WoW, GW2, and while Steam isn’t an MMO, they have a decent library of Mac games that are helping them stay afloat.

So the old adage of Windows is better is just that, an old, archaic idea still held by Windows users who haven’t gotten the memo. This issue in particular is that GW2 was made for Windows first and then a year later onto Mac but it’s not a native client; which has nothing to do at all with Windows > Mac.

Posted by: evoRobot.4019

evoRobot.4019

I found a permanent solution. Today I sold my mac and started building my first PC. All for GW2.

Xscape

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I found a permanent solution. Today I sold my mac and started building my first PC. All for GW2.

LOL well if GW2 and gaming in general is a priority you probably made the right choice. I wouldn’t say that is a viable solution for most Mac users though.

The Burninator

Posted by: Guyver.1426

Guyver.1426

Easy now….

If you are right, why anet makes a mac version and sell at the same price as PC version?

I agree with that making a mac version game is not easy. Just a few EA games have mac version and they are usually not released at the same time with PC version.

But as a customer, a company making a mac version game, will believe that it has confidence to make it as good as PC version.

Nova.4608

if they released the Mac version this means they ARE ABLE to fix his bugs and problems.

1- they aren’t able to fix bugs,errors etc… (i don’t think btw)
2- they don’t care at all. (just see when Far Shiverpeaks hacked in WvW and they didn’t do nothing but tried to hide what really happened)

(edited by Nova.4608)

Posted by: Adesia.5138

Adesia.5138

As seen, with SWTOR, Rift, LOTRO, to name a few, haven’t done well because they cater only to a small number of PC gamers. The games that are Mac compatible however are doing decent if not well, ESO, WoW, GW2, and while Steam isn’t an MMO, they have a decent library of Mac games that are helping them stay afloat.

I just had to chime in here; LotRO actually does have a Mac client and has been doing incredibly well since it went free to play (which was a number of years ago).

Whether or not an MMO does well has little to do with how many platforms it’s released on and more to do with actual gameplay, but I do agree that having a game available on as many platforms as possible does certainly help.

Personally, I do feel that ArenaNet doesn’t care about their Mac users, at least not nearly as much as they do with their PC users. The “beta” cider wrapper was released about 2 years ago and is riddled with errors and bugs. They should have released a native client or a “full” version by now and the lack of updates just feels like they don’t really care much at all. It’d be nice to know if they had plans for a native client or not, at the very least.

Posted by: Vampirate.7054

Vampirate.7054

Whoa!! JUST HOLD ON THERE. The MAC just “Beginning “ and Mac Client are work hard ,Try to grow better system like Windows . Can u recall about Windows 95, over thousand calls Windows Client need to fix. What u tries to do like Mortal Kombat MAC vs. PC?? Come on grow up. PC and Mac are always same problems Online games like WoW series, Star Wars EVE, Everquest series, D&D, Diablo series, Star Craft series, Lord of the Ring ( LOTRO ) …. They all working hard and best server they can. So quit Winnie and let them fix and the best client server fix for us. Let them Peace so are we.

Nova.4608

i played WoW since the release of TBC and i NEVER had a problem with the client, i played it with both Mac and PC,Same for every Blizzard game.

simply arena net doesn’t care about mac users they are too lazy to fix this “beta”
they think if they have more PC players Mac players doesn’t deserve a REAL client we still have useless client filled with bugs since the release.
playing as Mac is almost impossible in WvW every 30min a freeze and i have to shut down my Mac ( so many post has been made to ask them to fix the freezes that require to shut down the machine,many are from 1 years ago…) can’t use a tp for a week or more,can’t play dungeons because many times the texture just disappear/don’t appear at all (same for Lion’s Arch)
playing GW with a mac is almost impossible and this has to STOP.

Posted by: Noxaeternam.6214

Noxaeternam.6214

I paid just as much for this game as the PC users did and I got a broken client that crashes constantly, is full of graphical bugs/glitches, has a TRASH trading post, and is just all-over bad. If we’re going to play a terribly broken game, we should get one hell of a discount.

For the love of the Six, fix the Mac client.

Posted by: Chepdawg.2086

Chepdawg.2086

Bought an Imac for Christmas. Please continue to work on a native solution to increase the frame rate. The game looks fantastic and plays well. The magic mouse works great once you set it up, very smooth to look around and move your character by gliding the finger over the mouse.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I paid just as much for this game as the PC users did and I got a broken client that crashes constantly, is full of graphical bugs/glitches, has a TRASH trading post, and is just all-over bad. If we’re going to play a terribly broken game, we should get one hell of a discount.

You paid for an account – which is a pretty crucial distinction. Yes you paid for access to the game, but that doesn’t guarantee performance. Someone with a very sub-par windows computer could easily buy the game and have a not so great experience, or not even be able to play the game. Even more important is the fact that you paid for an account with the intention of accessing a client that is in beta.

Yes it sucks, yes they should pay a lot more attention to the OS X client. But people do need to be a little more reasonable about it, both players and Anet.

Posted by: Zero.6180

Zero.6180

You paid for an account – which is a pretty crucial distinction. Yes you paid for access to the game, but that doesn’t guarantee performance. Someone with a very sub-par windows computer could easily buy the game and have a not so great experience, or not even be able to play the game. Even more important is the fact that you paid for an account with the intention of accessing a client that is in beta.

Yes it sucks, yes they should pay a lot more attention to the OS X client. But people do need to be a little more reasonable about it, both players and Anet.

I completely disagree with your post. People didn’t blindly pay for access to the game. They paid believing that if they followed ArenaNet’s guidelines for system requirements they could expect reasonable performance. This is not at all comparable to having a sub-par computer.

While I knew it was a beta (I didn’t realize it was some cheap wrapper thingy) I think it was reasonable to expect that they were working to improve the client. I never imagined it would end up so ignored or that a year and a half later it would be even less stable.

Mac users have been more than patient and I don’t agree that we’re being even a little bit unreasonable.

FlamingFoxx.1305

It’s reasonable, but it’s not required… You paid for access to an account to use for a program that is in beta. Beta does not imply anything. A beta might never reach public release. It might be released publicly with little or no changes. It’s completely at Arenanet’s discretion.

Zero.6180

I’m not concerned with whether it’s required or not. The fact that’s even being used as a defense of their support for the Mac client says a lot.

Just for laughs, here’s another quote from their original announcement.
“Keep in mind as you play the Mac Beta that it is a beta product. Performance and system requirements aren’t finalized. Review the beta hardware specification, and understand that your overall experience will be better when we release the final version.”
(https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-for-mac-beta/)

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Guys, they can’t just pull an OpenGL engine out of thin air. The problem here stems all the way back to when GW1 was in development. Yes, GW1. The engine was made with Windows in mind, not portability. Yes, that was a short sited move but it was one that many many developers made.

Blizzard was one of the few developers that designed with portability from the start and even then their engines still have problems (e.g., the starcraft engine can run on about anything but run well on essentially no machine in existence). So pointing to Blizzard as an example is nice but it isn’t applicable when you try to make an argument for a port after launch. Blizzard didn’t port their games after launch, they built them at the same time with Windows and Mac in mind (the only game they ported recently was D3 for Playstation and that basically turned it into a completely different game).

As far as Apple’s share of the blame, yes Apple deserves a bit of the blame here. Apple has been very very lazy when it comes to updating drivers and OpenGL in their OS (and those things are linked to OS updates so you can’t update them separately). Additionally, they continually made references to supporting game developers but in reality they usually did nothing. This has only turned around recently but only seems applicable to iOS (e.g., at WWDC they have panels for iOS game devs, there are no such panels l for OS X game devs).

That doesn’t mean that Anet is faultless. They’ve been amazingly bad at communicating anything to us. It has somewhat improved recently but this was likely a burst due to the the Mac user base becoming enraged over months of game breaking patch day bugs that would not be resolved for weeks. The decrease in communication is happening again. And I fully expect for the patch day bugs to make an appearance again (it is almost like they did Mac QA for the feature patch). They need to come up with a more permanent plan instead of occasionally noticing that the mac community is on fire and running in with a tiny fire extinguisher.

Yes, the mac community should be better behaved (compared to some communities I think we’re handling this fairly well but there is room for improvement such as not using personal attacks against devs). But Anet needs to start being honest with us about the long-term plans for the mac client and actually follow through with their announced plans.

FlamingFoxx.1305

@Nageth. GW1 was made when apple computers still used PPC processors, so it wasn’t short sited on Arenanet’s side, or any other developers, PPC made things a lot harder to work with. Apple shifted to Intel processors a few years after GW1’s was released.

I agree with everything else you say though.

Nageth.5648

I mean in a general sense, relying on proprietary tech tends to come back and bite you in the rear later if you want to port it to another platform (e.g., if they wanted to port it to console same problem).

Posted by: Guyver.1426

Guyver.1426

It’s reasonable, but it’s not required… You paid for access to an account to use for a program that is in beta. Beta does not imply anything. A beta might never reach public release. It might be released publicly with little or no changes. It’s completely at Arenanet’s discretion.

So companies make products (game or anything) and mark them “Beta”, no need to take any responsibility!?

Posted by: JRM.6218

JRM.6218

I don’t agree: ANet cares about us. Maybe we can’t play against World Bosses (Megazergver) neither WvW; but, hey, we have a wishlist!

Posted by: Angelspawn.8102

Angelspawn.8102

I can blame anet for the bug yea it taking along time for them to be sorted.. But people telling mac users to use windows sorry the whole point of getting away from windows is to get a mac os. Windows os is designed to pick up malware and virus / ad ware all the time. one of the main reasons why I left Microsoft products alone. Doesn’t matter what machine you get with windows on it soon gets infected when your connected to the net. This is how Microsoft is making money they don’t care. they could have invested in anti viral software but instead they rather invest there money in ad-ware and malware products. even Skype they spent over 8.9 billion dollars on, why .. just so they can line there pockets and damage your machine so you have to go out and buy another or an anti vial software which shouldn’t be needed… my mac already out lasted any pc i have previously owned and i think they should be more support for games .. not options to be forced to put windows on boot camp its just crap, I don’t want windows and I’m sure other mac users would agree

For gw 2 not fixing there bug year 2 years it far to long and should have been fixed by now instead of updating the game content they could at least get the program to run smooth first before leaping the game ahead adding new contents and items etc. even though I still think elementalist could do with having the ability of equipping all weapons and adding new spells to them.

(edited by Angelspawn.8102)

Posted by: Vampirate.7054

Vampirate.7054

I agree with Angelspawn.

Posted by: Adesia.5138

Adesia.5138

As far as I’m concerned, Arenanet’s lack of concern for their Mac users stems entirely from their lack of communication with us. They come back when there’s a problem with the Trading Post or Gem Store loading for us, act like they’re going to stick around, and then they vanish after a week or so. When’s the last time this forum has heard from CC Dancia? It doesn’t take this long to clean up a few forum posts. Why bother asking us what our “top 5 wish list” is going to be, and then not even follow up on any of it (major request is more communication from them)?

I know it can take a while to port an entire game into another format, but 2 years without any real major update to the “client” itself, or even so much as any intent on where Anet is going with the Mac client is ridiculous.

Posted by: chronic.9403

chronic.9403

Apple computers are premium products. Their software is proprietary. Ever seen OSX run on a PC (it can be done…)? This is so they can keep their premium price on their product. And so more people have pc’s than macs because pc’s are cheaper. Fewer mac gamers means a smaller budget for Anet to work on the mac client. And sure, you can bash windows for being greedy, but Apple is just as bad because they jack the price up on your computer at least $1000.

There are two simple fixes. One is to buy a pc. They are cheap, you can run gw2 on a 400 dollar machine from Walmart….

The other is to dual boot Windows on your mac. With a student discount, its 80 bucks. It’s really really easy, and unless your computer was made in 2000, it shouldn’t be a problem. You only need to partition like 30 gigs of hard drive space, and you only need to use it to play guild wars.

No one can disagree that the mac support is lacking. But you can play the game most of the time. Compared to the downtimes experienced while i played D3 (this was irregardless of platform), the downtimes you get are literally nothing. I’m just grateful I can play this game on my mac. I just think it’s pointless to quit this game because you don’t like how it works on one platform when you are unwilling to try it on another.

Edit: Adesia, look at this link https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/members/CC-Danicia-1394/showposts

Danica has been doing a good job imo. Things have been running better since she came in. I’ll be kitten ed if Anet isn’t listening to us. You asked for more communication (I did, too). Guess what? We got it

(edited by chronic.9403)

FlamingFoxx.1305

You need considerably more than 30GB’s…
GW2 is 20GB, and as far as I am away Windows 7 and 8 both take up around 16GB of space.
So 36GB might just get you by, but you’re pushing it. 40-50 would be safer.

(Also, being a really nasty nitpicker here: irregardless is the most stupid word of all time, it literally just means regardless, so you may as well just say “regardless”. They only put irregardless in the dictionary because people don’t seem to understand how redundant of a word it is. Irregardless is actually incorrect english by modern standards.)

Posted by: chronic.9403

chronic.9403

You need considerably more than 30GB’s…
GW2 is 20GB, and as far as I am away Windows 7 and 8 both take up around 16GB of space.
So 36GB might just get you by, but you’re pushing it. 40-50 would be safer.

(Also, being a really nasty nitpicker here: irregardless is the most stupid word of all time ; it literally just means regardless . You may as well just say “regardless”. They only put irregardless in the dictionary because people don’t seem to understand how redundant of a word it is. Irregardless is actually incorrect english by modern standards.)

Not to be nitpick, but I corrected some grammar for you. Using a comma instead of a semicolon and run-on sentences are incorrect english by modern standards. Separate ideas need proper separation.

Also, yeah 50 gigs is safer. So what? That’s tiny. A 500 gig hard drive is 50 bucks nowadays. On most macs they are user replaceable.

Zero.6180

You asked for more communication (I did, too). Guess what? We got it

I appreciate your positive outlook, but I believe the concern was about communication regarding the status of the Mac client. Unfortunately, despite a few promising posts a month ago this has not improved at all.

Posted by: Michael Walker.8150

Michael Walker.8150

communication has been worse during the early access launch in china and probably will continue until after official launch. It seems like Anet is currently way too understaffed to follow up and maybe should have comunicated so.

let’s just wait for after launch, i doubt there will be any content updates either until then so i suggest not playing? or playing something else.

since you are mac users you really might want to give loot 2.0 and reaper of souls a try, besides being addicting it runs quite well.
I dont expect it to bind me longer than gw2 though still.

have a good one

Nageth.5648

Yeah, I’m suspecting this might have something to do with the China launch but dunno. The game is in a bit of a lull at the moment, I only log in to WvW occasionally.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

No, the lack of communication is nothing new and has been going on well before the China release. We get a few days worth of posts from Anet promising to communicate better, then they vanish until another gem store bug pops up. Then wash and repeat. I’ve been here over a year and have seen the same empty promises of better communication and support come and go over and over. It has nothing to do with China.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Michael Walker.8150

Michael Walker.8150

No, the lack of communication is nothing new and has been going on well before the China release. We get a few days worth of posts from Anet promising to communicate better, then they vanish until another gem store bug pops up. Then wash and repeat. I’ve been here over a year and have seen the same empty promises of better communication and support come and go over and over. It has nothing to do with China.

We don’t doubt that the communication has been horrible, I’m just saying that the forum in general has been “neglected” during the past few days/weeks after the content patch and that most likely has to do with the china release. The additional lack of visible activity that is.
I don’t think it’s a good thing to again and again try to appease customers and then vanish into thin air and it’s not like they can now just post a few things and everything is fine again. I will buy more gems as soon as zhaitan and the “beta” is fixed, nothing much more I can do but play other games.
I just didn’t think that requesting an answer from the devs now would even get read for the reasons mentioned.

GW2 as a whole seems very real life money driven anyway, maybe they could add dev responses to the gem store :P

//edit
the way the handle communication is just a little old-school but that would be fine if the result spoke for itself

(edited by Michael Walker.8150)

Nova.4608

still 0 posts from A.net LOL

GG A.net continue with the good work!

Posted by: ikir.4923

ikir.4923

No they don’t care, but i got a report for writing their support is a joke. Probably i will get moderated again. Guild Wars 2 for Mac is stolen money.

Posted by: ikir.4923

ikir.4923

Apple computers are premium products. Their software is proprietary. Ever seen OSX run on a PC (it can be done…)? This is so they can keep their premium price on their product. And so more people have pc’s than macs because pc’s are cheaper. Fewer mac gamers means a smaller budget for Anet to work on the mac client. And sure, you can bash windows for being greedy, but Apple is just as bad because they jack the price up on your computer at least $1000.

There are two simple fixes. One is to buy a pc. They are cheap, you can run gw2 on a 400 dollar machine from Walmart….

The other is to dual boot Windows on your mac. With a student discount, its 80 bucks. It’s really really easy, and unless your computer was made in 2000, it shouldn’t be a problem. You only need to partition like 30 gigs of hard drive space, and you only need to use it to play guild wars.

No one can disagree that the mac support is lacking. But you can play the game most of the time. Compared to the downtimes experienced while i played D3 (this was irregardless of platform), the downtimes you get are literally nothing. I’m just grateful I can play this game on my mac. I just think it’s pointless to quit this game because you don’t like how it works on one platform when you are unwilling to try it on another.

Edit: Adesia, look at this link https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/members/CC-Danicia-1394/showposts

Danica has been doing a good job imo. Things have been running better since she came in. I’ll be kitten ed if Anet isn’t listening to us. You asked for more communication (I did, too). Guess what? We got it

You are incredibly ignorant. Where is retina display, Thunderbolt 20Gbp/s, FireWire 800, super fast support, 7 years free operating system updates? I’m a pc technician if you say Mac are the same as PC you’re a fool. Try to open a MacBook Pro, it is art inside. If you only check ram, cpu gnu sure you will get a great pc for gaming for few bucks… but it is not the same. Apple software and hardware integration is the best, same the support, operating system and materials. Other than that if you are a PRO you need FireWire, Thunderbolt and other things which are not on common PC.

FlamingFoxx.1305

^— thank you for understanding that the so called “apple tax” is not really a thing. Apple computers are great.

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

You are incredibly ignorant. Where is retina display, Thunderbolt 20Gbp/s, FireWire 800, super fast support, 7 years free operating system updates? I’m a pc technician if you say Mac are the same as PC you’re a fool. Try to open a MacBook Pro, it is art inside. If you only check ram, cpu gnu sure you will get a great pc for gaming for few bucks… but it is not the same. Apple software and hardware integration is the best, same the support, operating system and materials. Other than that if you are a PRO you need FireWire, Thunderbolt and other things which are not on common PC.

ehhh…. apple is actually a vendor with horrible gaming support. All game companies are companies are complaining but somehow all the blame get shifted to them instead of apple.

Apple Opengl is still in the dark ages.

http://blog.gameagent.com/apple-influencing-development-mac-games/