Client Launches But Doesn't Run

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Moonstruck Muse.3062

Moonstruck Muse.3062

Hello,

I have been trying to reinstall GW2 after about a year of hiatus. However, no matter what I do, it doesn’t actually launch the game. The icon will appear in my doc, sometimes I can select it, and the top bar will change to Guild Wars 2, but no window will appear. Telling the application to display all windows only shows a blank screen, and it won’t bring up a window if I leave it running for an hour.

It’s not a case of anti-virus or firewall blocking it because I have tried getting this app to work with absolutely no other programs or apps running, checked by Activity Monitor. Each time I have downloaded the installer, it has run and installed successfully, and a folder of GW2 with some files gets placed in my Library/Application Support/Guild Wars 2.

The steps I have tried to get it to run are the following:
Attempt 1:
Downloaded the Installer.
Ran the installer
Launched the App.
Closed the app.
Launched again, left for some time.

Attempt 2:
Deleted Guild Wars 2 and Library file.
Ran installer again.
Launched app.

Attempt 3:
Deleted Guild Wars 2, Library File, and installer.
Downloaded installer again from the website.
Rebooted computer.
Ran installer.
Launched app.

Attempt 4:
Same as 3, but rebooted after downloading installer from the website instead of before.

I’m on a Macbook Pro mid 2012 13-inch.
OSX version: 10.9.4.
Processor: 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000

Posted by: Aries Feathermore.5761

Aries Feathermore.5761

Have you used an external monitor in the past? Could it have been used to play GW2? I remember having problems with that whenever I had an external disconnected.

Moonstruck Muse.3062

I’ve never used an external monitor when playing. But still, I’d think if it was a screen problem, then I’d see some sort of indication of a window running or a download happening. But no files generate beyond a base few or anything changed in the Guild Wars 2 folder in the library, even after leaving it running for some time.

But some digging finds that GW2 has problems on Mavericks so I am guessing this will remain an unsupported/unresolved issue, sadly. Thanks for the help though, Aries. I guess I’ll have to wait until I get Windows 7 installed again and play it on there, as I’ve had it working there before as well.

Posted by: Gorillapaws.7482

Gorillapaws.7482

I am having the same issue. I’ve been running OS X Yosemite Developer preview. It was working (still having regular crashes like everyone else) for a while on Maverics, and also for several weeks after installing the Yosemite Beta. One day when I launched the app, the launcher window would show but after clicking the play button the client would launch, but no window would appear. There was an invisible window being drawn because if you did a “show all windows” for the app, you could see blue highlight selection indicator around an invisible window.

I repaired permissions, used the repair GW2 command (from the Mac Beta troubleshooting guide on the forums) on the terminal, eventually trashed the GW2 files from the Library, and tried to re-install the client. Now I don’t even get the launcher window. It’ll launch, but the launch window is invisible and there are no useful menu items. It won’t download a new copy of the client (there’s no interface to tell it to do so). I think I’m SOL.

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)
3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

Aries Feathermore.5761

I am having the same issue. I’ve been running OS X Yosemite Developer preview. It was working (still having regular crashes like everyone else) for a while on Maverics, and also for several weeks after installing the Yosemite Beta. One day when I launched the app, the launcher window would show but after clicking the play button the client would launch, but no window would appear. There was an invisible window being drawn because if you did a “show all windows” for the app, you could see blue highlight selection indicator around an invisible window.

I repaired permissions, used the repair GW2 command (from the Mac Beta troubleshooting guide on the forums) on the terminal, eventually trashed the GW2 files from the Library, and tried to re-install the client. Now I don’t even get the launcher window. It’ll launch, but the launch window is invisible and there are no useful menu items. It won’t download a new copy of the client (there’s no interface to tell it to do so). I think I’m SOL.

iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011)
3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

I’m not too familiar with Yosemite yet – wish I could help you out. I had the first developer preview on my computer but unfortunately that really messed up my early 2011 MBP. I had to backup using Time Machine, but even then my hard drive was still messed up and I eventually got an SSD to replace it (part of the reason I can’t put Bootcamp on my computer). I’m guessing it has something to do with Yosemite, but that’s just me.

Posted by: Gorillapaws.7482

Gorillapaws.7482

I’m not too familiar with Yosemite yet – wish I could help you out. I had the first developer preview on my computer but unfortunately that really messed up my early 2011 MBP. I had to backup using Time Machine, but even then my hard drive was still messed up and I eventually got an SSD to replace it (part of the reason I can’t put Bootcamp on my computer). I’m guessing it has something to do with Yosemite, but that’s just me.

Thanks for the reply. It’s a beta OS running a beta client, so I’m not surprised there are issues. I posted for a few reasons:
1. to confirm the OP isn’t the only one having this issue (and he’s running Mavericks it seems).
2. to let people considering running Yosemite to be aware that it may cause major problems with their Mac Beta GW2 client.
3. to let Anet know there are possibly significant problems with their client on Yosemite. I realize they won’t officially support this operating system until it’s released, but it’s possible the new OS is exposing previously unknown bugs in the GW2 client. They should be testing on Yosemite (that’s the whole purpose of releasing OSes early to developers—so apps aren’t broken when the OS ships to the public).

I should add that I’m running EVE Online on this machine as well (not simultaneously) which is also a Cider port. EVE is currently running fine.

(edited by Gorillapaws.7482)

Moonstruck Muse.3062

Thanks for the replies and heads up. It really seems like there are major problems with GW2 and Mavericks… After posting this I found several old unresolved threads about it not running or having other issues. It’s really a shame.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Thanks for the replies and heads up. It really seems like there are major problems with GW2 and Mavericks… After posting this I found several old unresolved threads about it not running or having other issues. It’s really a shame.

Those are old threads, all issues with GW2 running on Mavericks were resolved relatively shortly after Mavericks was ACTUALLY released.

Aries Feathermore.5761

Those are old threads, all issues with GW2 running on Mavericks were resolved relatively shortly after Mavericks was ACTUALLY released.

Wrong. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/Client-Crashing-2/page/7
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/Me-and-my-Internet-connection
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/The-application-Guild-Wars-2
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/Client-Crashing-2/page/7#post4204321

Actually no, they haven’t. You’ve even been responded to some of these threads providing troubleshooting help for people, showing that your point is actually incorrect.

It is obvious the client still need a lot of work. I get 40FPS at least on my MBP with bootcamp, but only 16FPS on the Mac side. So no, it isn’t fixed yet.

(edited by Aries Feathermore.5761)

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Those are the exact same problems people were experiencing back on Mountain Lion, and before that on Lion. They are specifically Mavericks related issues, they’re just issues with the game. The only specifically Mavericks related issue was an issue where the game launcher wouldn’t update to the most recent version (preventing people from playing), but that was fixed a while back.

The unfortunate point is that the GW2 OSX client has a kitten load of problems, regardless of your computer or your OSX. There are plenty of people who have managed to run the game without ever encountering an issue or needing to get help (myself included), but since this is a support forum obviously all that is seen in here is people who do have problems.

So it’s kind of a gamble, it’s quite probable that you’d be able to run the game just fine and never encounter an issue (forums always represent a minority of players so there are likely a lot of OSX players who play the game just fine and never have reason to seek help on the forums), but there is of course the possbility that you will come across some kind of error or problem.

Posted by: Kahlan.2310

Kahlan.2310

I actually have the same problem, I thought that it had something to do with my memory space but, I got rid of tons of files and then I erased all the free space and all, reboot the computer, then download the client again and everything and the icon appears and everything but it is not the game because it’s only 90MB and I try to launch it but does nothing…it only appears as the icon on the dock and the name on the top of my screen…and when I click on show windows a blue square appears and thats about it.

I have

OS X Yosemite
version 10.10.2

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13/inch, Mid 2014)
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

IF THERE IS MORE INFO. ON HOW TO FIX IT…PLEASE HELP… I REALLY WANT TO PLAY AND I HAVENT EVEN PLAY IT ONCE BECAUSE OF THIS ISSUE…

(edited by Kahlan.2310)

Posted by: Spartan Amada.9621

Spartan Amada.9621

[posted this solution on Reddit]
I had the same problem. While searching for a solution I ran into a similar issue mentioned with ‘Heart Stone’ on another forum. There was a suggestion of it being the Graphics card and I got an idea. After a fresh restart.

The fix was: Go to Library -> Application Support -> GW2 -> ‘p_drive’ -> User -> Application Data -> GW2 -> then DELETE ‘GFXSettings.gw2.exe.xml’.

It should repopulate and reset to the last successful setting. Thought it would reset to default but it went to the last successful windowed setting I had. Hope this helps the tons of GW2 Mac players out there!

Join the herd or be a Lone Wolf, Silly sheep, I’m an Eagle bio-engineered by Asuran Technology

Posted by: EnDorphin pg.8472

EnDorphin pg.8472

I had the same problem. While searching for a solution I ran into a similar issue mentioned with ‘Heart Stone’ on another forum. There was a suggestion of it being the Graphics card and I got an idea. After a fresh restart.

The fix was: Go to Library -> Application Support -> GW2 -> ‘p_drive’ -> User -> Application Data -> GW2 -> then DELETE ‘GFXSettings.gw2.exe.xml’.

It should repopulate and reset to the last successful setting. Thought it would reset to default but it went to the last successful windowed setting I had. Hope this helps the tons of GW2 Mac players out there!

this worked for me! thanks

Posted by: BDix.2941

BDix.2941

Woohoo! This still works I updated to 10.11.5 and ran into the invisible window issue and used the fix to reset. Thank you thank you.

Posted by: Eva.6782

Eva.6782

omG THANK YOU!!!! It worked like a charm for me too
luv you!

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

This thread was inadvertently locked, but we’re reopening it because the processes outlined here are and continue to be helpful to players.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: SmoothHussler.6387

SmoothHussler.6387

You mean you still haven’t fixed this problem is why you’re reopening it.

Must be too busy counting gem purchases.

Maguuma: Thug Life: [DERP][ME][PYRO] and other assorted dead guilds.