New to Gw2 and Mac User: My Story...

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: NeverKnownGames.9107

NeverKnownGames.9107

Mac model: (Macbook Pro , 15-Inch , Mid 2009)
Processor: (2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)
Memory: (4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3)
Graphics: (NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB)
Software: (OS X 10.8.2 [12C60])

-:- Decided to place that information first hand…just to get it out of the way. So I am running on an older Macbook Pro. So far I am only level 10, so I believe I have yet to even scratch the surface of what Guild Wars 2 offers.

-:- On the low settings…and the MTD3D fix that looked like it set me up for a decent 20-25 fps constant after running the game for about 5 minutes. The first 5 minutes I start off with around 8-15 fps. Nothing is jittery – No Lighting Issues (Prism Effect) – No Issues with Events or Story Movies – No Issues with Battles

-:- Everything runs great for about 20-30 minutes…then that is when I get the connection error and it all shuts down. Of course after reading the threads through out this forum, I quit Guild Wars 2 Client fully….re-load…take a sip of water to relax my BLOWN AWAY MIND…and log right back in.

-:- Sorry for the first post being an odd one…I just wanted to reflect on the team and the other forum users, that I was afraid of trying the Mac Client for the price…but so far my only real complaint is the Disconnection Rate. Lower the Gamma a bit to about .90 and the Colors are still vivid…amazing…beautiful…awesome…possibly its just because of my screen…not sure on that one.

-:- Thanks for reading this post – Thanks for the Mac Client Beta
-:- I hope for a future where Guild Wars 2 becomes Mac Fluent
-:- Take Care

Posted by: washac.2897

washac.2897

Disconnections are normaly down to either your router or your broadband connection I would assume.

A broadband connection when being used for normal browsing etc can disconnect and come straight back on and you would not even notice.

When I first started to read about disconnect problems I logged into GW2 and started to play, I then turned my router off and guess what this was the fun part. I was running around in the game no problems there where just no mobs or other peoples toons. I did not get a disconnect issue.

Maybe somebody can explain this, not to bothered but would be interesting when others get disconnects ?

I must admit until I tweaked the settings and changed the fullscreen resolution I was using I was getting game crash issues.

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Using the google authenticator for login might be another source of disconnects. Are you using that?

Posted by: Gravity Factor.6128

Gravity Factor.6128

i had this same problem when i first started i was using Wi-fi and it would randomly disconnect me just like you so i plugged my laptop into a ethernet port and never get disconnected now

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1119/

GW2 Beta for mac requires an i5 processor or better. But you only have a Core 2 Duo.

It is possible that the error is coming from your processor not being able to keep up with what the game is requiring of it. CPU and GPU being the two most important things in terms of running GW2.

So unfortunately there might not be a solution :/

(Also, if it is related to internet just make sure you’re close to the router if you’re running on Wifi and there is no interference in between. Maybe try changing the wireless channel. Although as someone who lives in a rural area using regular broadband (Not ADSL2+ or Fibre), I’ve never had any disconnects or crash issues?)

Posted by: Grahl.5796

Grahl.5796

I would suggest router as well. I know it sounds weird, but I had this issue a few years back when playing a different MMO (yes, we all know the other Mac MMO). I tried a different name brand and it solved my problem. However, I know that’s an expensive solution to just “test”.

I do want to state that when I saw the requirements for GW2 Mac I died a little inside. They’re twice the requirements of a PC, and massive compared to any other mac game I know of (or maybe they all just run fine on my old 2007 and I never bothered to look). So I decided to give it a try. I’m running on a 2007 iMac, and except for it being a little slow in heavily populated areas the game works great. So if someone is running on a 2009, they’re in better shape than me – and I have no complaints other than the obvious ones (slow in pop areas, mouse issues everyone else is having, the mtd3d=0 issue, etc.)

FYI if you do suspect the mac system requirements, bootcamp it. According to the specs your system meets the requirements for the windows version with flying colors.

Macbook Pro 2013 – OSX El Capitan
2.7G i7, 16GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GT 650M
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP669

NeverKnownGames.9107

-:- Washac, Gravity Factor, Grahl…Thanks for the replies about it possibly being a network issue. That actually could be a big possibility. I will re-check settings hook up via Cat5. 30mb dwn / 5mb up…[Time Warner] They also mess tons of stuff up with the log system losing packet infomation.

-:- Grahl…You are correct in the windows version, it would do great system requirements wise…I could try it on bootcamp and will definitely give it a shot…once I have a running copy of windows 7.

-:- FlamingFox…I understand you come from a good place, but do understand the game loads just fine…plays just fine…Just the second I get 30-40 minutes in it disconnects and provides an ERROR CODE with White Page. Is there possibly an error page I could match the code to? Thanks for your reply though I have taken it into consideration. Like I said I know you mean well.

-:- Naqaj…could you site possibly where you got that information. I have read it I thought somewhere in the forums, but unfortunately lost the page. I was reading something a long those lines of people having success turning off Authenticator and being able to play for a few hours…while for others. It actually made things worse. SOOO, not sure how the Authenticator could be an issue. Thanks for the reply I will try it out.

NeverKnownGames.9107

-:- Sorry for double posting. I have further information, might be beneficial to someone at some point in time.

-:- I tested removing the authenticator, just right before playing…Fortunately, the game loaded up and it started working just fine (as it was before). At the 40 minute mark, instead of being disconnected (Awesome!); I got instead a moment where the mouse pointer started spinning me in all directions. Left for a bit, then Right…just spinning me as fast as possible and attacking nothing. (Not Awesome!)

-:- But…Still no disconnect, so then I logged out to character selection screen, logged back on. Boom! Still no disconnect (Spinning Bug Stopped). After 1hr 30 minutes later…Still no disconnect. The authenticator has some kind of connection to the disconnect error (at least for me)…so does that odd spinning bug.

-:- Does the Guild Wars 2…have some sort of Check List it goes through? I turned on authenticator once again and will test that later.

-:- Edit: With authenticator (30-40 min) disconnect occurs with Error Code…Without it during gameplay, (2hrs) Only thing I could see was a minor glitch with strife, I was barrel rolling while hitting Q-key and E-key (Separately, Of Course).

-:- Updated: So for me I have found a fix that allows for me to play without disconnects or sudden loss of being able to do the quest or restart a quest. I will however monitor my system and let it rest more often. Such as 2hr play time 4 hr down time…Something of the sort.

(edited by NeverKnownGames.9107)

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

-snip-

In response to the random spinning thing. I think it has something to do with how OSX handles mouse/pointer input. I get the bug occasionally but if you click a bunch of times and move the camera around you can get it to go away.
But it’s also a problem I used to encounter playing GW1 and GW2 through Wine.