WARNING:Mac forums no longer supported byAnet

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

That’s good that someone at least mentioned they know we exist. Interesting because I got an email today from my original TP ticket that was actually referencing OSX asking for my system specks.

The Burninator

Posted by: davidroberts.6170

davidroberts.6170

Well then, at least that is a step in the right direction. Some news is good news and in our case no news is bad news. I imagine we will see a little bit of Developer interaction spike for a month and then we will be back in the dark for another extended period.

Posted by: Kyllaa.1385

Kyllaa.1385

Well, let’s hope someone follows through with checking in on us and giving us an answer about the state of the Mac beta forums and our bugs.

Posted by: Adagio.3825

Adagio.3825

What? “we do have a couple of reps in the office who have more familiarity with Macs and would be able to best address these issues for you.” Is this an answer we supposed to be happy about? WTH didn’t we pay the full price of the product? And we paid to have a couple or reps FAMILIAR with macs? Sorry that answer is nothing to be to happy about

Kyllaa.1385

I was just glad to finally be acknowledged. Please feel free to help us continue to get attention here and the help we deserve.

JustTrogdor.7892

What? “we do have a couple of reps in the office who have more familiarity with Macs and would be able to best address these issues for you.” Is this an answer we supposed to be happy about? WTH didn’t we pay the full price of the product? And we paid to have a couple or reps FAMILIAR with macs? Sorry that answer is nothing to be to happy about

While it is some what nice that we at least got some response, thank you Kyllaa, I still wonder what is or isn’t going on. I get some impression that they put together the Mac client just to attract Mac users and then switched to a “We will work on it more if and when we have time.” train of thought. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy that there is a mostly functioning Mac client. I would not be playing GW2 at all if there wasn’t as my only PC has been stored away since 2009

It would however be nice to at least send somebody to this forum just to post a brief message regarding the current status of the Mac client. Even if they stopped in and said that no further development is going on at this time it would at least give us an idea.

The Burninator

Posted by: Zestus.2931

Zestus.2931

posting to display my support for both Anet monitoring and a dedicated client :3

Kyllaa.1385

I absolutely agree… I haven’t settled on just that response, but I’m trying to get as much attention in as many places as possible in hopes that they will assign someone here or at least tell us straight up what is going on.

Btw, has anyone tried fb or twitter yet? (sometimes social media gets more attention due to the sheer number of people who view it)

Kyllaa.1385

A moderator closed a recent topic on our forums today, I wonder if they’ll get someone to update us on our current status? (state of the Mac client, known bugs being worked on, will we have official support or are we still on our own)

~crossing fingers~

JustTrogdor.7892

Odd they dug that one up and closed it with a generic message with no explanation what they actually resolved and how. The last time I read that thread Dragoon Kain solved that problem. I think maybe they stopped in, waved at us, and moved on to someplace else.

The Burninator

Kyllaa.1385

Hahaha, yeah, I’m just really hoping that someone will be coming by to update… I know, futile, but trying to unbury some lost optimism.

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

And we sorely need optimism. I’m becoming extremely cynical as far as what the state of the Mac “beta” is and how they view us. Some honesty from the devs would go a long way toward repairing things.

Edit: and as far as Twitter, I think the most we got out of that was them making some sort of cute, cryptic statement (probably because they have no clue). Not bashing them, as they have a hard job but don’t think we’ll get anything out of that route.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

The biggest problem with supporting this is that it’s running in Cider http://transgaming.com/cider/frequently-asked-questions which is a 3rd party technology and not a perfect one at that. There is a config file that you can mess around in (always keep a backup however) that can fix some general issues with certain systems. I’ll try to keep my nose in here and check out anything I can answer, but know a lot of this is on Transgaming since anet is just packing the windows version in a Cider wrapper.

If you’re interested in looking over the config file it can be located by right clicking (control click) on the Guild Wars 2.app and choosing show contents. Here’s a typical path /Applications/Guild Wars 2.app/Contents/Resources/Preferences/config.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Nageth.5648

Indeed. However, that does not excuse the lack of presence here. Prior to the release of this beta they unofficially sanctioned the use of Wine to run the game on Mac and Linux. The beta was actually a bit of a surprise as it implied some level of support to help optimize performance as best as possible using this less than optimal work around (e.g. it is easy to tell someone to fix their config file but actually fixing it is another matter). The level of support for this has decreased to almost non-existant though, leaving us wondering what we can realistically expect.

munkiman.3068

Indeed. However, that does not excuse the lack of presence here. Prior to the release of this beta they unofficially sanctioned the use of Wine to run the game on Mac and Linux. The beta was actually a bit of a surprise as it implied some level of support to help optimize performance as best as possible using this less than optimal work around (e.g. it is easy to tell someone to fix their config file but actually fixing it is another matter). The level of support for this has decreased to almost non-existant though, leaving us wondering what we can realistically expect.

Oh i wasn’t trying to justify the lack of support, just saying that there is a 3rd party here and i get the feeling a good deal of anet’s tech support just aren’t familiar enough with the product, but they should be if they are releasing it. Sad that they haven’t given proper support here really.

Kyllaa.1385

Guess they’re still not reading this? Le sigh!

JustTrogdor.7892

I think they accidentally left something out of the May 28 patch notes. I believe it should have read something like this:

Mac OS X Customers

• It is rumored that customers have purchased and are using the Guild Wars 2 Mac OS X client. We are unable to verify this at this time. However, we believe that there may even be a Mac Tech Support Forum hidden some place inside our Guild Wars 2 Forums.
  • As we cannot locate the ‘mysterious’ Mac Tech Support Forum there will not be any information disclosed regarding progress, lack of progress, known bugs specific to the Mac OS X client, or our total lack of intrest in the Guild Wars 2 Mac OS X client.
  • However, those rumored to have purchased the Mac OS X client will still be able to purchase gems with real world money. If these customers do indeed exist we highly encourage such behavior.

Now I need to login so I can buy that new harvesting tool to add to my collection.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Nageth.5648

The Hawk bug still exists (completely unexpected, I know) and now I have the bug where I can’t join parties. Great.

Kyllaa.1385

Nageth, not to debunk this thread, but check one of my other posts and try our usual troubleshooting steps, then if it’s still broke (hawk bug not included), file a ticket.

Ashley said to start posting our bugs on the bugs forum, but I’ve seen minimal support occurring there lately too. Lol if Mac players start hitting other parts of the forums, maybe we could chase the devs out of them… Eventually, they might find their way back over here… But considering they only have “a few devs with Mac experience”they’ll probably get lost wading through the corpses of long gone Mac players. I’m done holding my breath, I’ll keep being a pita for them, but I’m expecting very little at this point. I haven’t even played in the last 5 days

I’m a sad panda… A very discouraged panda.

Nageth.5648

I was not attempting to “derail” the thread. Just updating that two long standing bugs (one mac specific) are still in. If I was, I would have solicited help. I filed the bug report for the Hawk (again) but doubt we’ll see any updates (as usual).

Kyllaa.1385

Sorry if you misunderstood, I meant I didn’t want to derail by posting a lengthy troubleshooting session is all. I was mostly commenting on trying to get you help for the party problem that many have recently started experiencing. I’m sure they’ll eventually get around to fixing our flashy hawks… Maybe in 6 more months (like the hints completion achieve problem many also experienced).

Anyway, just continuing to try and draw attention to our unread/unmoderated forum.

It truly would be nice to get some official acknowledgement here!

JustTrogdor.7892

Anyway, just continuing to try and draw attention to our unread/unmoderated forum.

It truly would be nice to get some official acknowledgement here!

I tried poking them with a stick in my last post.

The Burninator

Kyllaa.1385

They didn’t seem to even flinch… Probably couldn’t find a pulse either.

Kyllaa.1385

OMG! I have minor… mostly likely inconsequential news. I think they may actually be aware of our shining hawks problem. It’s not “fixed” by any definition of the word, but it seems to have been passively acknowledged in game, shown here in the Ruins of Rin. Before and after photos of flashing hawks that are now cliff bats.

Could this be the start of a fix for us? Only time will tell. In the meantime, let’s keep posting!

Attachments:

Posted by: davidroberts.6170

davidroberts.6170

That’s a funny way to fix the problem. “Hey, Mac customers are complaining that hawks have lasers going everywhere, what should I do?” “Just switch to another model of bird. They won’t ever notice”

Posted by: NeuroMuse.1763

NeuroMuse.1763

The whole situation is ridiculous. The fact they ask up to submit tickets too is mind blowing the only response they ever give to mac client players is ‘Sorry we’re unable to assist you with the issue’ or ignore the ticket entirely or reply in some manner that requires you not using the mac you play on. /facepalm

Anet has really dropped the ball the fact this issue has been spread in multiple sections across the forums and we’ve had moderator/community response that the issue was forwarded to the powers that be and Anet and STILL have yet to make any statement just goes to show we’re truly being ignored.

Past few patches I’ve seen general performance w/the mac client tank too in some areas which will also probably go eternally unresolved.

JustTrogdor.7892

Well, I get the impression that they would just remove this forum all together if it wouldn’t be a definite statement that we have been abandoned. When a mod did stop in a while back just to close a thread saying that the problem had ben resolved I knew it was just a fly by. It could not have been more transparent. Plus the problem wasn’t resolved technically. Another member happened to find a work around to fix the problem.

The Burninator

Kyllaa.1385

The lack of Mac support it truly disappointing

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

You guys need to understand about how things work on Mac… they use a wrapper engine over the GW2 engine in other to run on your Mac like a Virtual Machine.

http://transgaming.com/

Problem is the lack of support is from Transgaming in my view. The game files .dat file is the same as PC file. It is and proved because I’ve copied the game data into the content folder on my MacBook Pro 2010.

The issue is the emulator is what most people sometime have with different hardwares and drivers.

I will recommend you guys to run GW2 under BootCamp if you can. Much faster and stable like PC gaming.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

JustTrogdor.7892

You guys need to understand about how things work on Mac… they use a wrapper engine over the GW2 engine in other to run on your Mac like a Virtual Machine.

http://transgaming.com/

Problem is the lack of support is from Transgaming in my view. The game files .dat file is the same as PC file. It is and proved because I’ve copied the game data into the content folder on my MacBook Pro 2010.

The issue is the emulator is what most people sometime have with different hardwares and drivers.

I will recommend you guys to run GW2 under BootCamp if you can. Much faster and stable like PC gaming.

We understand that. The issue is that Anet does not even bother to respond to our concerns and ignores this forum ‘Mac Beta Client Tech Support’ completely. This is a forum they link to in their own Mac Beta Client FAQ stating there is a tech support forum:

https://en.support.guildwars2.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9231

Is there a forum for Mac technical support issues?

Yes. Please post your feedback and issues in the Mac Section of the Guild Wars 2 Forums.

Yes we know we can run it under BootCamp but they sold me a Mac client and the least they can do is acknowledge that we exist. Also I am not going to put BootCamp on my computer just to play GW2. My game runs plenty fast as it is. There are just some glitches which include being ignored by Anet.

Don’t make a forum called ‘Mac Beta Client Tech Support’ and then not even bother to respond to any of the threads and continue to act like it doesn’t exist. The only tech support being provided here is by other players.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Kyllaa.1385

Yes, as Trog said, we completely understand how the Mac client works, we also realise that it is in “beta” stage. But what we don’t understand is how they just completely ignore us and took support away from this forum 5 months ago. Did you read the first page and the letter posted by a user DJRiful?

We were also assured a follow up by a moderator over a month ago and we’ve received absolutely zero response.

As for the client itself and running under bootcamp, yep, we know it runs “better,” but honestly, it runs just fine on Mac and typically our minor bugs are actually easier to fix than the pc client. All we need is 6 different steps and if that doesnt work, well, then it’s either a hardware issue or something Anet needs to fix on their end. Not to mention, many of the Mac users playing this purchased the game to play on Mac, not pc. Telling them to install bootcamp, purchase windows, plus an antivirus (you’re just a fool to run windows without antivirus) is beyond worth it for any game for most. I personally did this prior to launch, but found it highly inconvenient to have to keep rebooting (changing os) to do anything. And, I hate windows and feel like I’ve betrayed my loyal computer by putting that garbage os on it (truly hate windows).

So, yeah, the fact that you want to blame transgaming is an excuse… This is anet’s product that they endorsed with support to the customers, so if transgaming isn’t fixing something, it’s because Anet isn’t asking them to… Or paying them to do so.

Therefore, this is still anet’s lack of support for the Mac client.

Posted by: Shawn OffWhite.6840

Shawn OffWhite.6840

Hey, I’ve been an avid GW player for about 6 years, and bootcamped my mac when the GW2 beta came out last spring. However, I deleted my bootcamp when the mac beta came out, thinking that I wouldn’t need it any more (only bootcamped for GW2). Now after the last patch, I can’t open the game at all, it keeps crashing after log in. The screen goes all jaggedy, or just goes black and my cursor changes, but no game. I have to restart my computer in order to exit. It’s a pain, and I’m bummed cause I just bought GW2 for my brother for his graduation present two days ago thinking we could play together at college. Now with all this stuff about Mac no longer getting any support from A-Net, I’m worried. Thoughts? Advice?

Jesus Loves You.

Shawn OffWhite.6840

As for the issue of my screen blacking out, I found a solution posted by Kyllaa:

“Clearing the gw2 folder deletes all settings stored locally on the computer.

I’ll post our full troubleshooting steps, read them completely before using some. It will be long.

1.) run software update to ensure all drivers and os are up to date.

2.) try repairing disk permissions via Disk Utility first. Then…

3.) repair the client install

Open Terminal

Type the following:

/applications/guild\ wars\ 2.app/contents/MacOS/cider —use-dos-cwd C:Gw2 — C:\\GW2\\GW2.exe -repair

You can copy and paste that in, but (check the dash) you must change the dash before the word USE or this will fail the forum shows an em dash (—), but it is supposed to be 2 consecutive en dashes (-). Run it and let it go until finished. FYI if you type the command yourself or paste it, they are 2 dashes (-) side by side… I’m noticing one sometimes looks like an em dash… It’s 2 en dashes though. (the dash before USE is 2 regular dashes)… Reiterated due to previous confusion about that dash on these forums.

4.)Perhaps after doing that, if it doesn’t work, you can try to delete the contents of the gw2 data folder, it’s a pain to get to the right one: this step is a general fix for many t kitten ues, even without the previous steps

Mine is located under the hidden Library folder (navigate using finder, do not use spotlight to search)

/[yourharddrivename]/users/[yourusername]/library/application support/guild wars 2

You may want to copy/paste this folder to your desktop as a temporary back up, just in case.

Delete the contents of that specific folder (you should see files like this contained within “config, dyndata.dat, user.reg, userdef.reg, and folders p_drive and wineserver…namestuff…loca..[long name]” just to list a few), then re-run the client..

~~Your folder is probably hidden (as is the default). Hidden folders display as greyed out text and icons. I found this after googling:

http://m.wikihow.com/See-Hidden-Folders-on-Mac-OS-X-and-Other-Recent-Models

Others claim alt+clicking a file/folder unhides the contents, but that was never successful for me. At least the link has visuals for you. Hope it helps.

5.) If none of this works, check the sticky and submit a ticket, then please come back here and report the fix that worked for you.

6.) final thought, you may want to check support.mac.com to find out about resetting pram and smc. Worth a shot, right?

If this doesn’t work at all, submit a ticket after viewing the sticky and then come back here to post your solution."

It worked for me, so now I can play with my lil bro, but the lack of forum support from Devs is still very disheartening

I’m subscribed to this post so look forward to joining y’all in conversation.

Jesus Loves You.

Kyllaa.1385

Welcome to our little support network and I’m glad you were able to recover your game.

Let’s keep trying for a response from our devs who so graciously brought this game to our macs!

Come on guys, come clean with us about the status of the Mac client!

JustTrogdor.7892

I’ve been getting some goofy stuff since last update but I’ve been holding off to see if it is game wide. Mostly skill lag (that I never had before), the usual TP stuff, and for some reason some mouse freezing for a few seconds at times. I’ve done all the usual stuff but it is still going on.

Oh and after waiting about 20 minutes for SB just before it spawned I got the lovely crash where I had to hard reboot. Oh well.. Guess I will just keep cleaning up folders, running disk utility and doing my best to have fun. At least I do have fun even when the game makes me /facepalm at times.

The Burninator

Kyllaa.1385

I get the mouse freezing issue constantly, had it for the last couple months… I really thought it was just me. I also get movement/skill stutter; for example, when I’m doing a jp, I stop between jumps and sometimes when I’m starting the next jump, nothing happens, so I try again and then just fall (it’s like she just tripped). Other times, my cursor disappears or hangs in a spot like my mouse died. I really thought that was just me! I’ll start a thread about it soon so we could pool our experiences in case someone figures it out.

Maybe someone will read it someday… ~cough~ Anet ~cough~

Kyllaa.1385

Seems we have a mod reading and closing threads, but are they reading this one? Will this one ever be answered?

Find out on the next season of “Mac beta forums!”

JustTrogdor.7892

I like how they just toss in “As this issue is resolved…” and close it but don’t say what has been resolved aside from Mac users solving it themselves. It’s like random thread closing to make us think they are actually paying attention. I think their solution is to send someone in once a week close a few threads that are actually helpful for others that may have the same problem, wave and go back to PC land.

This is becoming comedic. I may need to fire up my blog again. I could write a very informative, entertaining, and humors article on this matter.

The Burninator

Kyllaa.1385

Seems like it.

JustTrogdor.7892

Yep I just looked the last thread they closed was exactly 7 days ago. What a joke.

“Hey Bob, today’s Thursday so you know what that means.”

“Oh no… It’s close Mac threads Thursday already! I need a vacation.”

The Burninator

munkiman.3068

I’ve been getting some goofy stuff since last update but I’ve been holding off to see if it is game wide. Mostly skill lag (that I never had before), the usual TP stuff, and for some reason some mouse freezing for a few seconds at times. I’ve done all the usual stuff but it is still going on.

Oh and after waiting about 20 minutes for SB just before it spawned I got the lovely crash where I had to hard reboot. Oh well.. Guess I will just keep cleaning up folders, running disk utility and doing my best to have fun. At least I do have fun even when the game makes me /facepalm at times.

Just want to say that both skill lag and mouse freezes have been happening on my PC as well, so i really don’t think it’s a mac thing.

I’ve yet to fire up the game on my mac to diagnose any of the forum posts, but i can say that some of these issues happen on the pc side too.

JustTrogdor.7892

Just want to say that both skill lag and mouse freezes have been happening on my PC as well, so i really don’t think it’s a mac thing.

I’ve yet to fire up the game on my mac to diagnose any of the forum posts, but i can say that some of these issues happen on the pc side too.

Oh I don’t doubt that. The problem is no one from Anet seems to know that Mac users exist in the Mac Tech Support Forum aside from stopping in once a week to close a thread that is actually helpful. It would simply be nice if they stopped in and said this was an issue on PC as well and they are working on it. Instead we are in our own little world.

The Burninator

Shawn OffWhite.6840

It might just be my graphics card, but I can only get about 12 to 18 fps. When i had it bootcamped though, I got about 30-40. Maybe my mac is getting old? I dunno. Specs say that I have this:
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Jesus Loves You.

Shawn OffWhite.6840

And as far as admins closing threads, I don’t understand why they would go back and do that? It’s like once a week they order pizza and decide to troll mac users. Then they laugh at our responses. A-net Trolls….

Jesus Loves You.

munkiman.3068

It might just be my graphics card, but I can only get about 12 to 18 fps. When i had it bootcamped though, I got about 30-40. Maybe my mac is getting old? I dunno. Specs say that I have this:
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

This is specifically an issue when dealing with emulation, which is what the wrapper is designed to do. It’s actually translating DirectX calls into OpenGL ones. You will most often see far better results running bootcamp, since there isn’t any emulation happening (processing dx calls to openGL).

munkiman.3068

Oh I don’t doubt that. The problem is no one from Anet seems to know that Mac users exist in the Mac Tech Support Forum aside from stopping in once a week to close a thread that is actually helpful. It would simply be nice if they stopped in and said this was an issue on PC as well and they are working on it. Instead we are in our own little world.

Well i’m no official support person, but i can try to bridge the gap (much as you guys are trying to do) between how it functions on PC versus Mac. I’ll be firing up the client on a couple Macs this weekend. A newer tower, a 2011 imac and a 2012 mini. I unfortunately don’t have a new enough MBP.

I’ll also look into messing with the config for some the graphic anomalies that might be fixed making a few changes. (i.e. the hawk glitch)

Posted by: TASondaMiX.9546

TASondaMiX.9546

Just wanted to join the fray real quick. I, too am a mac user & like the rest of you would like to feel like i have a voice in this community/attention from the devs..!

Kyllaa.1385

We’re like the forgotten step-children.

Kyllaa.1385

Did anyone else notice that this thread never actually got closed? I did and finally decided to call it out <.<

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/mac/GW2-Not-working/first#post2139618

We’re still waiting for someone to follow up with us here!

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

I remember downloading the OS X client and then deleting it as soon as I realized it wasn’t a native client. The fact that they’re ignoring us is just stupid, we are customers too, you know.

I think ANet and NC Soft should take a good look at how Blizzard have done it. They’ve made all their games for both Windows and OS X, with native clients on both. Not a kittening virtual machine kitten.

Either treat us like the PAYING CUSTOMERS we are, or just delete the entire thing. This is just lazy and unprofessional from a company this big.

Melder – Thief