When will we see a Native OS Client?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: MageIanBorthwick.3054

MageIanBorthwick.3054

I’ve been playing a while now, since September, and the game has only continued to degrade as you lean more and more heavily on the wrapper to make up for your lack of motivation to create a Native OS Client.

At some point, and some point soon, you’re going to lose all the people who ran to GW2 from other games to escape the insanity. It doesn’t take long for word to get round and you lose the players you gained and more to some other game that plays to the strength of the systems involved, not just ONE system.

In 17 days an alternative is coming that is Native to Mac and we’re all looking at it with eagerness. We spend more than the Windows users do on things and we’ll gladly jump ship to escape being marginalized for choosing a more rock solid computer.

Please, stop ignoring us and give us something to stand on that doesn’t feel like mounds of manure. Please?

Posted by: nurmoo.6984

nurmoo.6984

I’ve been playing a while now, since September, and the game has only continued to degrade as you lean more and more heavily on the wrapper to make up for your lack of motivation to create a Native OS Client.

At some point, and some point soon, you’re going to lose all the people who ran to GW2 from other games to escape the insanity. It doesn’t take long for word to get round and you lose the players you gained and more to some other game that plays to the strength of the systems involved, not just ONE system.

In 17 days an alternative is coming that is Native to Mac and we’re all looking at it with eagerness. We spend more than the Windows users do on things and we’ll gladly jump ship to escape being marginalized for choosing a more rock solid computer.

Please, stop ignoring us and give us something to stand on that doesn’t feel like mounds of manure. Please?

I agree totally

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

If you’re talking about the game I think of, I just spend this weekend with that native OSX client crashing every 15 minutes. In comparison the GW2 OSX client barely crashes at all for me. Native client is not a guarantee for better stability or performance.

Back on topic: For a native OSX client to happen, the game has to be ported to OpenGL entirely, or needs a better translation solution. We might see that soon if Valve can get SteamOS off the ground, and developers have more incentive to support multiplattform development.

It’s not going to happen just for the few Mac users in GW2.

MageIanBorthwick.3054

If you’re talking about the game I think of, I just spend this weekend with that native OSX client crashing every 15 minutes. In comparison the GW2 OSX client barely crashes at all for me. Native client is not a guarantee for better stability or performance.

PST, it’s not a “client” it’s a wrapper called CIDER.

And I just spent an HOUR since the patch getting punted every 2 minutes until I couldn’t take it anymore. Not to mention you are literally the ONLY person that is supposedly on a Mac that has reported that issue about the mystery game, so it totally doesn’t seem like you’re lying or anything…

/sarcasm

Look, we know you like to troll the Mac forums because you feel defensive about your choice of computer, but please do not post as if this call to do what they should have done, and promised, in some way emasculates you. It doesn’t affect you and your opinion is not needed.

Posted by: darksome.1697

darksome.1697

I also spent the weekend with that native OSX client, and didn’t crash once. Just like the scheduled weekend before that, and the one before that. On medium graphics settings. Granted, they’ve still got work to do on it, but stability isn’t one of those things. GW2’s wrapper beta client helps me fry eggs on the casing while having to set every graphics setting to lowest or none.

Posted by: Zamfir.8462

Zamfir.8462

I’ve spent some time with that game as well. Some things I like about it, but all-in-all, I prefer GW2 as an experience and until this bad patch yesterday, never really had any issues with the Mac beta client (which is admittedly a tuned wine/cider bottle).

We can’t forget that we could fall back on Bootcamp, but so far I’ve not felt the need.

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

I’ve had no end of troubles with that other game as well. I have no idea how Anet’s abysmal support managed to out shine them (the reps here are nice and polite but it doesn’t stop the company from releasing progressively worse and worse patches during 2014). Things are so bad I’m considering going back to WoW of all things (even though I dislike the game play at least I can play the thing when I want to).

(edited by Nageth.5648)

Posted by: Hollow.9758

Hollow.9758

Back on topic: For a native OSX client to happen, the game has to be ported to OpenGL entirely, or needs a better translation solution. We might see that soon if Valve can get SteamOS off the ground, and developers have more incentive to support multiplattform development.

of course he IS! i mean c’mon. And its still in beta. for both pc and mac. Those crashes are different than having the CPU on the comp over taxed because its being force feed windows code through a emulator or whatever the hell it is.

By Odins fine whiskers!
27-inch, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, OS X 10.8.2

Posted by: Hollow.9758

Hollow.9758

I’ve had no end of troubles with that other game as well. I have no idea how Anet’s abysmal support managed to out shine them (the reps here are nice and polite but it doesn’t stop the company from releasing progressively worse and worse patches during 2014). Things are so bad I’m considering going back to WoW of all things (even though I dislike the game play at least I can play the thing when I want to).

Which is why I’m honestly considering pre-ordering that game that was previous mentioned. We at least know that Zenimax has a team, is working with, communicating fulling and acknowledging the very existence of the Mac users for the game. That along is going to make a big difference for me now. The lack of communication and support for our client on these forums is simply appalling at best, in all areas.

By Odins fine whiskers!
27-inch, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, OS X 10.8.2

MageIanBorthwick.3054

Could we get a Dev to respond to this? It’s not a new complaint, and we do deserve to know as the CONSUMERS.

MageIanBorthwick.3054

Bumping this up as we STILL have no Dev response.

Posted by: Ceribis.8104

Ceribis.8104

This idea needs to die. They’ve paid for and are utilizing Cedega/Cider as an alternative to rewriting the client engine. They’re not going to put the massive amount of time and energy into converting their modified GW1 engine to OpenGL. It’s significantly cheaper and easier for them to fix problems in the container they’re using.

Keeghan – Sylvari Mesmer – Jade Quarry

(edited by Ceribis.8104)

Posted by: strip.6735

strip.6735

Its really sad. I don’t want to install Windows throw Bootcamp on my Macbook. I bought Macbook because i don’t want to use Windows. Now it seems that i have no other way i want play GW2 :-(

Posted by: Ceribis.8104

Ceribis.8104

Its really sad. I don’t want to install Windows throw Bootcamp on my Macbook. I bought Macbook because i don’t want to use Windows. Now it seems that i have no other way i want play GW2 :-(

I feel the same exactly way. I don’t want to boot into Windows every time I want to play GW2. For the most part the Mac client has been okay (and when it’s time for reset night WvW I normally reboot into Windows for that), but with the more recent instabilities I’m actually leery about doing WvW because of potential crashes. I haven’t had one for a while though setting my character model quality to lowest (I can keep the amount on screen set high though).

Keeghan – Sylvari Mesmer – Jade Quarry

Posted by: Noxaeternam.6214

Noxaeternam.6214

I have bootcamp, and, while it does work nicely, it’s just wonky enough that I’d prefer to not run anything that complicated on it… like GW2. Also, this is, what, a 20 GB game? My partition is 100 GB, and I’m very tempted to make it smaller. Not sure I want to use a fifth of my entire partition for a game that ‘has a mac version’.

For the love of the Six, fix the Mac client.

Posted by: Yifang.8260

Yifang.8260

Same boat except my windows side is 160gb, think I should reduce that drastically as I hardly use it now. I also have 500gb total. Not sure if having less memory affects performance for an OS but it is recommended to have as much free space as possible. Yes a big reason I got this game was cos a mac version existed, I refuse to play windows only games these days unless it’s an older game I had prior to getting the mac.