black screen with 06.25 update

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: chordata.1068

chordata.1068

Hi !

Since yesterday’s update i have a black screen with only the mouse. I run os x 10.8.4 on a Macbook pro early 2011.

Before the updates it was working fine.

Thank you .

Posted by: Kyllaa.1385

Kyllaa.1385

Please try this, it will however clear your saved login info and your in-game graphics settings. Please post back if this works or not:

Delete the contents of the gw2 data folder, it’s a pain to get to the right one: this step is a general fix for many tp and graphics issues

Mine is located under the hidden Library folder (navigate using finder, do not use spotlight to search)

/[yourharddrivename]/users/[yourusername]/library/application support/guild wars 2

You may want to copy/paste this folder to your desktop as a temporary back up, just in case.

Delete the contents of that specific folder (you should see files like this contained within “config, dyndata.dat, user.reg, userdef.reg, and folders p_drive and wineserver…namestuff…loca..[long name]” just to list a few), then re-run the client..

~~Your folder is probably hidden (as is the default). Hidden folders display as greyed out text and icons. I found this after googling:

http://m.wikihow.com/See-Hidden-Folders-on-Mac-OS-X-and-Other-Recent-Models

Posted by: cookielty.9183

cookielty.9183

I’m having the same issue and I did what Kyllaa told, but it’s still doing it (black screen with only the mouse cursor)…

Posted by: AltarBeast.4709

AltarBeast.4709

I’m having this same problem… the above process didn’t work for me either.

Usually it takes me 2-5 times attempting to launch, to get to the character screen… now its 15x+

This is not good! Please advise, or patch this patch!!

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I’m having this same problem… the above process didn’t work for me either.

Usually it takes me 2-5 times attempting to launch, to get to the character screen… now its 15x+

This is not good! Please advise, or patch this patch!!

What are your Macs specs? Are you sure you’re deleting the Guild Wars 2 Application Support folder inside your HIDDEN user library? have you made any tweaks to any files to do with Guild Wars 2? Have you tried opening Disk Utility and Repairing permissions?

Kyllaa.1385

Oops, I seem to have lost tabs on this thread, sorry guys. I’ll post the full troubleshooting steps here for you, then at the end, I’m going to run something by Foxx for thoughts.

It’s long, but please read each step completely prior to attempting (#4 will be a repeat):

1.) run software update to ensure all drivers and os are up to date.

2.) try repairing disk permissions via Disk Utility first. Then…

3.) repair the client install

Open Terminal

Type the following:

/applications/guild\ wars\ 2.app/contents/MacOS/cider —use-dos-cwd C:Gw2 -- C:\\GW2\\GW2.exe -repair

You can copy and paste that in, but (check the dash) you must change the dash before the word USE or this will fail the forum shows an em dash (—), but it is supposed to be 2 consecutive en dashes (-). Run it and let it go until finished. FYI if you type the command yourself or paste it, they are 2 dashes (-) side by side… I’m noticing one sometimes looks like an em dash… It’s 2 en dashes though. (the dash before USE is 2 regular dashes)… Reiterated due to previous confusion about that dash on these forums.

4.)Perhaps after doing that, if it doesn’t work, you can try to delete the contents of the gw2 data folder, it’s a pain to get to the right one: this step is a general fix for many tp and graphics issues, even without the previous steps however, it will lose all saved login/password and in-game settings.

Mine is located under the hidden Library folder (navigate using finder, do not use spotlight to search)

/[yourharddrivename]/users/[yourusername]/library/application support/guild wars 2

You may want to copy/paste this folder to your desktop as a temporary back up, just in case.

Delete the contents of that specific folder (you should see files like this contained within “config, dyndata.dat, user.reg, userdef.reg, and folders p_drive and wineserver…namestuff…loca..[long name]” just to list a few), then re-run the client..

~~Your folder is probably hidden (as is the default). Hidden folders display as greyed out text and icons. I found this after googling:

http://m.wikihow.com/See-Hidden-Folders-on-Mac-OS-X-and-Other-Recent-Models

You can also try alt+clicking finder from the dock to unhide the contents, but that was never successful for me. At least the link has visuals for you. Hope it helps.

5.) check support.mac.com for instructions on how to reset your pram and smc.

6.) If none of this works, check the sticky and submit a ticket, then please come back here and report the fix that worked for you

Foxx, do you think deleting the local.dat file in the regular application support folder (obviously not our hidden gw2 folder one) could help issues like these for Mac? I haven’t really had any issues to test it myself. Just curious to hear your thoughts.

FlamingFoxx.1305

Uhhh? Where is the local.dat file? Maybe I’m just not thinking, but I don’t know where I would be looking for it?

Kyllaa.1385

Lol, that’s what I get for trying to remember the location without being in front of my computer ;p

[yourusername]/Documents/Guild Wars 2

Sorry for being a bonehead, if I’m going to ask a question, I should make certain of the location…. Fail!

FlamingFoxx.1305

I actually don’t have that file? There is no Guild Wars 2 folder in my documents, so I wouldn’t have a clue if deleting it does anything? But since my game runs perfectly without it? :P

(Have tried looking through other folders and showing hidden files, I definitely don’t have that)

Kyllaa.1385

I always keep my hidden files shown (had a few programs keep downloadable content stored in hidden folders so I couldn’t access it and need it for certain web files/design).

So odd I have that then lol. I wonder why o.O

Posted by: AltarBeast.4709

AltarBeast.4709

What are your Macs specs? Are you sure you’re deleting the Guild Wars 2 Application Support folder inside your HIDDEN user library? have you made any tweaks to any files to do with Guild Wars 2? Have you tried opening Disk Utility and Repairing permissions?

I’m on a iMac 2.8 i7, 12g RAM, 10.6.8 – I know this OS is older then they recommend but hasn’t been a real problem in the past. And yes I’m deleting the right support folder… I’ve done this many times, without any real significant improvement. I’ll try disk utility, maybe that will help… will keep ya posted if that fixes things

FlamingFoxx.1305

Just to be clear. Is it the game that launches with a black screen? Or the launcher?
If it’s the game, can you try opening up the options (F11 or Fn+F11 depending on your keyboard setup) and seeing if that comes up even though the screen is black? If it does switch into Window mode and see if that fixes it. If it doesn’t let me know. Also, can you hear the character selection screen music playing?

Posted by: Louiziana.2180

Louiziana.2180

for me.. was a full black screen, i navigated to where i knew the X was and x’d out, restarted my mac, now it comes up, load, logs in, and show a completely white window. i see the mouse changing when i scroll over where the character would be, and other buttons, so the game is there. just cant see it. i dont have the Gw2 file in my application support tab, and not .dat file either. really close to delete and reinstall whole client. any suggestions? it worked fine yesterday.

youtube.com/jacobizreal

Kyllaa.1385

Louiziana, make sure you are navigating to the correct folder, there are 2 application support folders on Mac, but one is hidden. This hidden folder is the one you want!

Please re-read step 4 that I have posted above and try it.

FlamingFoxx.1305

i dont know how to find the hidden one. theres only one app support folder there. any settings i need to adjust to see it?

Open Finder
Click “Go” in the menu bar and then hold down the option key. “Library” should appear in that drop down menu while you’re holding Option. Click Library
Then go to the Application SUpport folder inside the Library that has opened up
Inside there is a ‘Guild Wars 2’ folder. Delete it, restart your computer and then open GW2. It should perform a small download and then start up. Let us know how that goes.

(Kylla, I think in your instructions it might be better to place my instructions about holding Option to get to the library, or perhaps the “Go to folder” command might be simpler. People don’t seem to bother reading through the link you post and I think people are hesitant about using the Terminal >.>)

Louiziana.2180

Louiziana, make sure you are navigating to the correct folder, there are 2 application support folders on Mac, but one is hidden. This hidden folder is the one you want!

Please re-read step 4 that I have posted above and try it.

i dont know how to find the hidden one cause i dont even have a library folder after {username} , therefore i cant see an app support folder. when i click my HD i have users, and library folder there. so i click library from there and i see an app support folder, but theres no GW2 inside it.

also i just did more trouble shooting and the game runs fine, when i switch mt my wifes user on this mac. its something wrong with my particular user on this mac, any way to fix or repair it?

i also repaired the macOS cider file you suggested, didn’t work, so i deleted gw2 and completely reinstalled it, and i STILL get a white window with only my username. with lol i was just playing yesterday!

youtube.com/jacobizreal

Louiziana.2180

i dont know how to find the hidden one. theres only one app support folder there. any settings i need to adjust to see it?

Open Finder
Click “Go” in the menu bar and then hold down the option key. “Library” should appear in that drop down menu while you’re holding Option. Click Library
Inside there is a ‘Guild Wars 2’ folder. Delete it, restart your computer and then open GW2. It should perform a small download and then start up. Let us know how that goes.

(Kylla, I think in your instructions it might be better to place my instructions about holding Option to get to the library, or perhaps the “Go to folder” command might be simpler. People don’t seem to bother reading through the link you post and I think people are hesitant about using the Terminal >.>)

please Take a look at my reply above this one to see my further troubleshooting, i tried it your suggestion and also did read her link, and enables the hidden files in terminal, its just not there, greyed or full colored. and when i click
- Library- Application Support- there is no guildwars2 folder there. heres a screenshot of what i see

Attachments:

youtube.com/jacobizreal

(edited by Louiziana.2180)

FlamingFoxx.1305

Open Finder

please Take a look at my reply above this one to see my further troubleshooting, i tried it your suggestion and also did read her link, and enables the hidden files in terminal, its just not there, greyed or full colored. and when i click
- Library- Application Support- there is no guildwars2 folder there. heres a screenshot of what i see

Because that is the wrong Library. Please try and follow my instructions very carefully.
Open Finder.
Click ‘Go’ in the menu bar and then click ‘Go To Folder’ from the drop down menu.
This will open a little dialogue box. Copy and paste this into it: “~/library/” without the quotation marks.
Press ‘Go’ and it will take you to your User Library. Now click ‘Application Support’ from the list that shows up inside the Library.
Inside there is a folder called ‘Guild Wars 2’, delete that entire folder.
Restart your computer.
Start Guild Wars 2.

Louiziana.2180

Open Finder

Because that is the wrong Library. Please try and follow my instructions very carefully.
Open Finder.
Click ‘Go’ in the menu bar and then click ‘Go To Folder’ from the drop down menu.
This will open a little dialogue box. Copy and paste this into it: “~/library/” without the quotation marks.
Press ‘Go’ and it will take you to your User Library. Now click ‘Application Support’ from the list that shows up inside the Library.
Restart your computer.
Start Guild Wars 2.

ok thanks i’ll try it, at first you didnt say to type ~/library/ you just said to press option, and go lol, maybe you thought you put it? either way i found the file, and now restarting mac. i’ll let ya know!

youtube.com/jacobizreal

FlamingFoxx.1305

Open Finder

Open Finder.
Restart your computer.
Start Guild Wars 2.

ok thanks i’ll try it, at first you didnt say to type ~/library/ you just said to press option, and go lol, maybe you thought you put it? either way i found the file, and now restarting mac. i’ll let ya know!

Actually the original instructions I gave are correct, it’s just a different way of doing it. I figured the way I told you just now might be easier. People don’t seem to get that they have to hold option in order for library to appear in the go menu, it only shows up while option is held down.

Kyllaa.1385

Hey Foxx, I just recently updated my instructions to incorporate a variation of yours… Apparently, those weren’t the ones posted here. Most don’t have issues following mine, but on occasion, I guess they do.

FlamingFoxx.1305

Yeah I think it’s just when people don’t quite have a full understanding of how macs work and how files are handled etc. (Mostly stemming from the fact that Apple -tries- to make everything seem really simplistic and in the process makes it more complex to do anything they have decided you shouldn’t need to). I was so completely baffled by their decision to hide the Library folder in Lion and ML. I mean, I understand that people shouldn’t really need to access the folder, but they make it difficult for people who do or might ever need to.

Kyllaa.1385

Lol, I agree, that’s why I perma unhide my files <.< two library folders confused the kitty out of me ;p

FlamingFoxx.1305

Lol, I agree, that’s why I perma unhide my files <.< two library folders confused the kitty out of me ;p

I couldn’t do that, it’s so ugly with .dstores and .bins sitting everywhere <— Minimalist.

Louiziana.2180

I couldn’t do that, it’s so ugly with .dstores and .bins sitting everywhere <— Minimalist.

it worked thanks

youtube.com/jacobizreal

FlamingFoxx.1305

That’s great! Glad you can play again