why no high res textures?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: roflcubes.1932

roflcubes.1932

I have had a look on this forum but can’t find any answers to this.

I understand high res character textures can’t be ticked on Windows when running on 32bit systems, but mountain lion is running 64bit on my mid2012 MacBook Pro, 2.6ghz i7, nVidia GT 650M, 8GB RAM. This also applies to setting the textures above medium as well.

The game looks better than on my old crappy PC and I have it locked at 30fps for stability sake, but I want higher textures.

Also can someone tell me if the rMBP would have better graphics performance than my same/similar spec’d standard MBP and why? Seems people are talking about setting heaps of sstuff on high and it running perfect. Haven’t seen too much of that so far….

Posted by: punchbunny.1325

punchbunny.1325

Also can someone tell me if the rMBP would have better graphics performance than my same/similar spec’d standard MBP and why?

The resolution is significantly higher on the rMBP (2880×1800), but it’s still the same physical screen size. This allows for a much sharper image. It’s REALLY gorgeous. I just resized the UI. It wouldn’t play at 30fps consistently when settings were maxed for me (sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn’t, depends on the area and what’s going on with background processes, etc.).

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

First issue: it doesn’t matter that Mountain Lion is a 64bit system, because the GW2 Mac client is not a real OSX application. It’s the Windows client running inside a translation layer, and that translation layer basically imitates a Windows 32bit system. That is why you have the same limitations concerning your graphics options like when running the game on 32bit Windows.
Second issue: if the rMBP had the same hardware specs (specifically, the same graphics card, the Nvidia 650M), it would also potentially have the same performance like a regular MBP. If you actually run it at full resolution of retina display, the performance would of course be significantly worse, since the CPU and graphics card would be taxed much harder.

Posted by: roflcubes.1932

roflcubes.1932

Cool thanks.

I’m not heaps up on all this but that makes a lot of sense. Hopefully we will get an update that will allow the higher res textures somehow.

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

None of the transgaming solutions (Cider, WINE, Crossover) works as 64bit Windows, so there might be a technical limitation there. As long as Arenanet uses Cider for the Mac client, and the Windows client having those limitations on the 32bit version, we’re not going to see those high-res options on the Mac.

The thing is, if there’s a high adoption rate for the Cider version, I wonder if Arenanet interprets that as “good enough, let’s keep it that way” or rather “there’s enough of a demand for a real OSX version” …?

Posted by: Dydoc.4316

Dydoc.4316

Bump.

I run GW2 on my MBP 13 (boot camp and in the Beta on Mac OSX). Performance is roughly the same between the two, but the high res texture option should be made available in the Mac client in future updates. I would strongly prefer to not have to reboot just to play GW2, but I will be doing so until high res textures are avaible to Mac Client.

Posted by: vince.5937

vince.5937

Nothing can be done about it. The Cider wrapper is 32bit and there’s no changing it.

vince.5937 — Tarnished Coast — Les Saintes
R.I.P. City of Heroes, 2004-2012
Long Live Atlas Park 33

Posted by: Hollow.9758

Hollow.9758

The thing is, if there’s a high adoption rate for the Cider version, I wonder if Arenanet interprets that as “good enough, let’s keep it that way” or rather “there’s enough of a demand for a real OSX version” …?

Lets hope, for all of ours sakes… that its the later. Rather than the former. Otherwise Anet are seriously underestimating the support coming from our consumer base.

By Odins fine whiskers!
27-inch, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, OS X 10.8.2

Posted by: ikir.4923

ikir.4923

Nothing can be done about it. The Cider wrapper is 32bit and there’s no changing it.

All we can do is contacting support and feedback asking for it.