110 fps in wvw

110 fps in wvw

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Ricky.4706

Ricky.4706

custom built a new computer – now getting 110fps on a gtx 460 in wvw – lowest i saw it drop was 70

working the heck out of my 4770k – but i haven’t even kicked in the boosts yet – was just benchmarking it now. and this was while downloading updates on windows 7 in the background – now lets see what the updates do to those numbers – but with a new windows 7 install the fps is ridiculous!! – if the numbers change, then it’s clearly microsofts fault with their patches. cuz i’m running a beta nvidia driver build

this coming from about 7 fps -

no doubt the problem is that gw2 is killing the cpu in a big way – this set up can handle it easy – but still..I was watching those meters fly – no wonder my old pc was exploding …don’t bother getting an expensive card for gw2 – it’s all about the cpu. ( and the right motherboard ) I haven’t even begun to overclock yet heh!

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

110 fps in wvw

Ricky.4706

unquestionably it’s microsoft’s fault, my fps just dropped to 68 with jitters. still installing more updates ….microsoft has installed over 200 updates and counting.

IBM PC XT 4.77mhz w/turbo oc@ 8mhz 640kb windows 3.1 hayes 56k seagate 20 meg HD mda@720x350 pixels

110 fps in wvw

Ricky.4706

ok, i think the stuttering was caused by virtue http://lucidlogix.com/product-virtu-gpu.html my new motherboard came with it free- have to play with the settings, and it actually added a bit more fps – I think it’s v-synch is whats causing the stuttering.

but microsoft definitely killed off some fps – if you want to see high performance gw2 – make a new drive – install a fresh copy of windows 7 and don’t update it – granted it’s riskier because it has more security risks – and you don’t have to install gw2 to that drive either – I was using my old drive and running it from there. Serious, i saw 110 fps and in battles ( got myself killed for the sake of science and ran into a enemy group lol ) it went down to 70

110 fps in wvw

Ricky.4706

heh, facing portals in wvw – 170 fps – just capped it ..cuz I hardly believe it myself :x
Seems that my motherboard is countering whatever microsoft did with it’s own drivers – I

I did get a strange error saying that gw2 was not compatible with a particular win7 color scheme, when I see it again, I’ll cap and post it…..

Trying to share this adventure in hopes to give anet and everyone else somewhere to look.

I’m using a 4770k with an msi mpower max motherboard – it’s putting my gtx 460 on steroids heh!! – it’s one bad kitten!! Loving it!

also using 2 8pin eps on my board for my cpu – articles and msi people say it helps with load – not overclocking yet ….have turbo on auto.

Attachments:

110 fps in wvw

Posted by: SolarNova.1052

SolarNova.1052

High FPS like that in WvW isnt unusual so long as you have the rig.

Dont be put down when u get into large Zergs though, those figures will tank down to the 20’s-30’s asuming you have the ingame settings on high, if you were to run on everything on lowest including culling then you will get slightly higher fps, but nobody wants to to play like that :P

Still, glad you getting more playable FPS in the area’s where u once didnt.

3930k 4.6ghz | NH-D14 Cooler | P9x79 Pro MB | 16gb 1866mhz G.Skill | 128gb SSD + 2×500gb HDD
EVGA GTX 780 Classified w/ EK block | XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res/Pump | NexXxos Monsta 240 Rad
CM Storm Stryker case | Seasonic 1000W PSU | Asux Xonar D2X & Logitech Z5500 Sound system |

110 fps in wvw

Ricky.4706

hehe, thanks, – I really don’t see the big deal when it goes to 30’s – i guess if you try playing at 8 for a few months, – 30 seems lightning fast …and not much different than the 170 -

but I still stick to saying that windows is responsible for a lot of the stress on our system – I did watch my system go from insanely fast – to a noticeable speed decrease and bugs – so I highly recommend that anyone with a high end computer experiencing abnormal speed changes – set up a small drive with a new install of windows, that you boot into just for playing gw2- don’t add anything else – no adobe , no firewalls , no antivirus to that drive – the performance difference is night and day.

while I’m still pulling high fps – ( again with a gtx 460 – so don’t stress yourself over a video card – it’s how I was able to get a high end mobo and cpu – otherwise unaffordable ) – it’s not without new bugs and quirks – now I have to figure out why my mouse keeps randomly disappearing – it’s not because of gw2 – I saw the promised land!! heh!

(edited by Ricky.4706)

110 fps in wvw

Ricky.4706

also one more thing, I recently discovered that since version 10 adobe flash adds a protected mode sandbox by default that is incompatible with firefox and probably most any other program – they keep it hush and you have to dig deep to find any posts about it – apparently they think safety is more important than having a functional computer. ( kitten talk here ) – so you may want to disable the protected mode on your adobe flash – my ‘new’ system is randomly freezing because of it now. I honestly wish I didn’t have to use adobe – hate is a strong word, but not strong enough. to describe how i feel about their flash program and the monopoly they have with it.

110 fps in wvw

Posted by: Ilithis Mithilander.3265

Ilithis Mithilander.3265

also one more thing, I recently discovered that since version 10 adobe flash adds a protected mode sandbox by default that is incompatible with firefox and probably most any other program – they keep it hush and you have to dig deep to find any posts about it – apparently they think safety is more important than having a functional computer. ( kitten talk here ) – so you may want to disable the protected mode on your adobe flash – my ‘new’ system is randomly freezing because of it now. I honestly wish I didn’t have to use adobe – hate is a strong word, but not strong enough. to describe how i feel about their flash program and the monopoly they have with it.

You should try ‘loath’ then. It seems to pack a little more punch when compared to ‘hate’. :p

Primary Guild: Testing Eternity [TE]
Chloe (Version 3):
[i7 930 @ 4.1Ghz (1.3875V) w/Cooler Master 120M][Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (stock)]

110 fps in wvw

Ricky.4706

You should try ‘loath’ then. It seems to pack a little more punch when compared to ‘hate’. :p

nah, too smooth a word. I’d rather use desPise and really emphasize the P so you can gt that little blast of air and that blinking effect when you say it to someone that works at adobe!! :P

110 fps in wvw

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Youre watching to the Back of the wvw map not even showing what settings you use,my fps rises well over 120 on That Particular spot aswell…Now,make another screenshot in a 40+ zerg fighting another 40+ zerg ( do it in sm ) ,and maybe you can start changing your post.Also,you made a Fresh win 7 install,god knows how long youve been using the older install wich was probably filled with tons of garbage slowing your pc down.

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

110 fps in wvw

Ricky.4706

actually, yeah, I agree, no need to change my posts – it was a play by play as I was installing the new system.

I do agree with the garbage, because it seems every software you install or page you visit adds more and more to lag – but no one is going to stop downloading new software just to play guildwars 2 , thats just unreasonable to even consider..- so I’m thinking a good practice for the future is to put just the os on one drive – so you can format it regularly. No need to reinstall GW2 because it runs from any drive and not dependent on registry entries.

I did see dramatic decreases in fps though, in same spots in GW2 – and I did see my fps go from 120 to like 50 in Lions Arch by simply turning from west to south …so GW2 does play it’s part in all this – further GW2 is apparently tweaked for microsoft – before all the new patches – this was obvious as I kept adding the insane amount of patches from windows. I’m blaming microsoft as a courtesy to arenanet – it is kind of crazy that for every patch they write they expect developers to have to fix their software over and over.

(edited by Ricky.4706)

110 fps in wvw

Ricky.4706

here is the error I was talking about earlier!

Attachments:

110 fps in wvw

Caedmon.6798

For the error part ,that’s just windows noticing that a program is demanding high utilization of resources, it wants to turn aero off, just to provide more resources to the demanding program. As the program is turned off, it automatically returns to aero.

But if you really get annoyed by this message.You can either make sure that whenever you launch guild wars 2 it switches off Aero on boot so you wont get the popup atleast.

Doing so by rightclicking your GW2 shortcut select Properties > Compatibility > And put a check behind Disable Visual themes and Disable desktop composition.

If you want to have Aero always to be enabled and windows to stop asking you to turn it off,since your system is well capable of having Aero enabled while playing demanding games.You can do so with the following registry edit.
____

In regedit go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM

Set a new DWORD “UseMachineCheck” with a value of 0. ( Without the quotes )

This will keep Windows from checking if your computer “performs slowly” and thus attempting to disable Aero.

Attachments:

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

110 fps in wvw

Ricky.4706

Thank You Caedmon. Actually this system is handling it like a champ and I have plenty of resources, which is why I found the message strange to begin with. I’m just passing along the information in hopes to help Anet and everyone else that are still having troubles. The issues on this forum are pretty harsh and I figure any little clues Anet can get would help. Cheers.

PS – I noticed after last update, I am not going above 61 fps in lions Arch – doesn’t bug me nor do I find that it hampers my game play but still noticed it all the same.

I was able to run max settings on everything – @ 38 fps on a gtx 460 – not sure what the big fuss over max settings is when it looks almost identical to mid settings – so anyone struggling with fps because of high settings – should really tone it down – even though I can now play max settings, I put it down to mid / low settings to not stress my computer unnecessarily.

(edited by Ricky.4706)

110 fps in wvw

Caedmon.6798

I know you have plenty of resources,hence the suggestion i made.