18-25 FPS - Non Crowded Towns

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Mellow.7409

Mellow.7409

Hello!
I am new to Guild Wars 2 and the horrendous FPS sadness me.

My config looks like this:

CPU: AMD FX™-8320 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUS), -3.5GHz
GPU: Radeon™ RX 460 Graphics
RAM: 16GB
DirecetX-version: DirectX 11
Monitor: 2560×1080 (32 bit) (60 Hz)

Notes:
- All my drivers are up-to-date
- I have sat on 60 FPS on every other game I have played throughout the years.
- My CPU & GPU load when I’m playing GW2 are about 30%.
- I have unparked all cores.

Posted by: Mellow.7409

Mellow.7409

It’s basically the same in GW2

Attachments:

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can try lowering Reflections, Character Model Limit and Character Model Quality in Graphic Options. Starting there may help.

Good luck.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

GW2 is CPU dependent, which is something you’re not going to typically encounter in games other than large scale MMOs. It may be using 30% across all cores, but what actually matters is only one of them.

The usual problem however is that the GPU isn’t operating at the proper speed. You won’t notice it with a lot of games, as they fall well within the limit, but GW2 does a lot of back and forth, so it has to wait. Use GPU-Z to confirm the bus interface speed while running the test.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I used to get 50fps on Mac with some stuff above minimal settings… Now I barely get 18fps on a better Mac at minimal settings and lower resolution.

Switched to a PC, not a great one, just a OK one… Still getting 18fps, except it’s not crashing every 5 minutes. I can’t even play it in 1080p smoothly.

What ever happened to this game performance is beyond my understanding. It’s not a demanding game yet it performs terribly.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

It’s worth noting that this is definitely not the universal experience; I comfortably see 30-60 FPS in various situations, including many with lots of people.

So, it is probably worth considering that this could be some local problem, before assuming it’s an unsolvable issue with the game.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I used to get 50fps on Mac with some stuff above minimal settings… Now I barely get 18fps on a better Mac at minimal settings and lower resolution.

Switched to a PC, not a great one, just a OK one… Still getting 18fps, except it’s not crashing every 5 minutes. I can’t even play it in 1080p smoothly.

What ever happened to this game performance is beyond my understanding. It’s not a demanding game yet it performs terribly.

I have the same,my fps is worse since a month ago or so.Overall my fps can top 100+ easily but especially with more people around my fps is noticably lower than before dropping to 25 – 30 where before it was around 40 – 45.Tried reinstalling several different drivers changing bios/overclock/repairing gw2 client/lowering ingame settings etc etc,nothing really helps.I remember i had the same issue some months back where the only thing fixing it was to reinstall windows.Every other game still runs fine,single or multiplayer..So it’s really not our pc’s i reckon.

Edit;I’m not on mac though,win 8.1.

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’s the CPU. AMD cpus don’t handle Gw2 because the crappy outdated engine won’t take advantage of all your cores and makes your CPU do stuff that the GPU could be doing.

And turn down the character model limit. Even better CPUs can’t handle that.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

It’s the CPU. AMD cpus don’t handle Gw2 because the crappy outdated engine won’t take advantage of all your cores and makes your CPU do stuff that the GPU could be doing.

And turn down the character model limit. Even better CPUs can’t handle that.

It’s not the cpu,if you read my post ive stated that the game ran fine before, and i had the similair issue where only reinstalling windows fixed my problem where all my other games actually still ran perfectly fine.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Was referring to OP, didn’t really note your post.

It’s just really ridiculous high CPU usage in cities, no matter what. I don’t lag so my CPU can handle it fine, but still can have some FPS drops in large crowds. So it’s quite difficult for the rather dated AMD CPU to keep up.

Just look up Gw2 “CPU bound” The hardware monitor goes down to 3% CPU use when Gw2 is closed, so really what?

I mean, it’s nice that it worked in your case, but the thing is it’s anecdotal and you can’t really explain why it worked beyond reinstalling Windows. For all we know, your computer had could have had malware (btw, everyone should scan if they haven’t), your Windows files were corrupted, or maybe it just happened to reset the graphics settings. Also note that OP said it was a Gw2 specific problem.

If you want my anecdote, I’ve consistently gained 10 fps across 4] systems just by lowering character model limit, reflections, shadows , and anti-aliasing. Nothing else beyond deleting some files ever did squat; including formatting/reinstalling.

Attachments:

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: TEKnowledgy.1760

TEKnowledgy.1760

Hello!
I am new to Guild Wars 2 and the horrendous FPS sadness me.

My config looks like this:

CPU: AMD FX™-8320 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUS), -3.5GHz
GPU: Radeon™ RX 460 Graphics
RAM: 16GB
DirecetX-version: DirectX 11
Monitor: 2560×1080 (32 bit) (60 Hz)

Notes:
- All my drivers are up-to-date
- I have sat on 60 FPS on every other game I have played throughout the years.
- My CPU & GPU load when I’m playing GW2 are about 30%.
- I have unparked all cores.

Now I’m going to be straight with you I have same cpu as you something not right with your core speeds why is it dropping to 13xxMHz on core 1 & 2? the cpu 3500mhz default and should in no way drop below 3400mhz under turbo should be hitting 3900-4000mhz even idle shouldn’t be dropping that low looks like your mobo not configured right. or your cpu voltage maybe to low possible just a bad cpu cause them numbers are indeed not a good sign.

Now with that said use manual affinity (from task manager ctrl+alt+delete) (i use radeon pro for this) right click gw2.exe select affinity and un check cores 1 3 5 7 just let it use cores 0 2 4 6 should gain good amount of fps with that bout 10-15 bout what I improved i also gained about 20 fps on gw2 by using frame limiter and not using vsync

we have same setup some what you have better gpu higher screen res
My setup is win 7 ultimate 64bit
cpu 8320 but i dropped turbo oc’ed it to run 4GHz always so not really oced just running wide open constantly if it drops goes to 3980-4039 MHz bout stable as I could work it.
my video sapphire radeon R7 265 1920×1080 (frame limit at 60 no vsync) (the sleeper buffed up 7850 version anyone comes in here to troll me saying it isnt can go look it up)
My ram also 16gb@1866MHz(933)

In divinity reach high pop. at max settings i hit round 30-35 fps avg bout 30

Normally i don’t use max settings. medium usually and high textures

anyways hope this info helps you out some you really need get your cores stable that be my biggest recommendation its shouldn’t be dropping that low means something isnt set right in motherboard settings even under extreme power management shouldnt be dropping that low try pulling back screen res a notch. You gfx card bout 39% better then mine from what I read. Might help you a little but still thinking its related to those low mhz drops if its doing that while you are gaming you going to lose fps hardcore

1. Max Settings I don’t use AA either way really don’t need it with high screen res or I don’t anyways

2. What i keep it at shaders on medium i know not in screen shot I personally like medium cause I think armor looks better ambient occlusion is more an emulated type I find it wasteful it doesn’t really help gfx any in my opinion eye adaption i can mimic that with my monitor depth blur I don’t care for doesn’t impact fps that ive noticed either way. Rest some of it personal preference some things gives me nice fps gain both in numbers and in stability in metas

3. How everything is running highs i had game full screen for bout 5 mins current value what it is with everything minimized and lows mix of both Showed cpu-z and gpu-z just for confirmation on we bout same setup just remember my cpu is always 4ghz by turning turbo off and using a multiplayer of 20 rest is stock/ set on auto in motherboard I use c6 mode and apm mode(power saving modes) helps with temps as my room stays like 75-80 degrees

Attachments:

(edited by TEKnowledgy.1760)