2013 27" iMac Experiences?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: mildocjr.4037

mildocjr.4037

I just bought the above iMac with the 3.4 Ghz i7(quad), with the nVidia GeForce 680MX 2GB GDDR5, 16 GB of RAM, and a 3TB Fusion drive, can anyone with similar specs give me their experience with this computer and the Mac client as well as FPS and the highest settings they were able to run the game at? Just want to know if I should run it in a bootcamp before I start the 15+ GB download. Thanks.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I run the game fine on a 2009 iMac… I don’t think you should worry about anything.

mildocjr.4037

Just wondering because I have a 2010 15" MacBook Pro 2..66 Ghz i7 (dual) with 8 GB of RAM and an nvidia GeForce 320M that gives me 11 FPS on a good day.

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

Using a configuration with the i5, 680MX upgrade, 8GB RAM, and 1TB Fusiondrive.

On OSX ML, I play at native resolution, with most settings on highest option except AA (off), shadows (high) and post-processing (middle).

FPS in the open world is stable between 50 and 60, but I still have the Cider-induced FPS-nosedive into single digits right after loading into a new map.
FPS in Lions Arch or WvW battles is generally around 40, but can drop into lower 20 in high populated moments.

On Windows 7 64bit, I get roughly 20% higher framerates, while also using higher texture options, and the FPS-dive after loading is noticably smaller.

If you want to install the game in both OSX and Bootcamp, you don’t need to download it twice! You can start the second installation, quit it once it starts downloading, then copy the main game file (gw2.dat, an archive containing almost everything) from the completed installation to the other.

(edited by Naqaj.6219)

mildocjr.4037

Forgot about the fact I could copy it since Cider is just a Windows wrapper for OS X. Considering the only big difference between our setups is i5 vs i7, I don’t think I will see much more improvement over what you have. Thanks for the info Naqaj. I should be pretty happy with 50-60 FPS but I’ll keep my Windows ISO nearby if I feel I need to bootcamp it.

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

I tend to boot into Windows for longer play sessions on the weekend, since the game just looks better with the higher graphics options on the Windows side. During the week, convenience trumps flashy graphics

Posted by: Todd.8162

Todd.8162

I just bought the above iMac with the 3.4 Ghz i7(quad), with the nVidia GeForce 680MX 2GB GDDR5, 16 GB of RAM, and a 3TB Fusion drive, can anyone with similar specs give me their experience with this computer and the Mac client as well as FPS and the highest settings they were able to run the game at? Just want to know if I should run it in a bootcamp before I start the 15+ GB download. Thanks.

If you’re so concerned with FPS gazing and “highest settings” then you should dual-boot to Windows to play the game.