20x account login attempts

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Cesario.7532

Cesario.7532

Hey guys
This morning at between 3am and 4am (GMT+10) i had about 20 or so login attempts on my account (which were not authenticated, thank god) all of which originated from the same area, should i be concerned by this? is there anyway to tell if my account has been compromised?
iv gone ahead and reset my passwords, but i have a feeling that its not gonna help too much

Posted by: Renegadeimp.8439

Renegadeimp.8439

YEs. If that happened, then someone, somewhere, has your username and pass, but thankfully not your email address. This means that you most likely have malware on your system and you should find it or reformat before you change your pass or log into your email.

If you change your info before you find the point of compromise, they’ll just get your new details.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Please review this article, it’s very helpful! https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/

The fact that this happens indicates a risk. The fact it happened so often indicates you may be at considerable risk. (Sorry!) And yes, it’s possible that one of those attempts was successful, and if that is the case, you should contact Support immediately so they can help you regain access to and re-secure your account.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

It’s actually very unlikely to be malware. It’s possible, so have an antivirus, but probably not the culprit so reformatting would not help.

Make sure you don’t use your new GW2 pw anywhere else.

Posted by: Polantaris.9513

Polantaris.9513

Cesario,
If you are a member of many of the sites that have been hacked of late (Playstation is the big one probably), then it’s likely your password has been compromised. It’s far more likely that your password has been leaked through one of those sites than malware at this point, honestly. So many sites have been hacked of late that if you were registered to ANY of them, even if they SAY that no Password information was accessed, do not trust them. Use different passwords, especially now that hacking of “secure” sites is so common.

Posted by: Panderp.9753

Panderp.9753

Just a hint, do NOT click on any link in those emails, most of them are actually phishing emails that want you to click on a link that will take you to a website that look just like GW2’s website, and it’ll want you to input your info to log in. That is how they steal your info. If you want to check, manually go to guildwars2.com and check.

Posted by: Chris.8290

Chris.8290

Anet has to add a pin system that only can be reset it or change sending a ticket to support, i mean an ingame pin system like in aion that is asked after log in game and locks the characters.

Posted by: Cesario.7532

Cesario.7532

Cheers for the info guys,
im not a member of too many sites (not psn, xbl or even FB for that matter), but i have ensured that each site contains a different complex password, so i dont have any double ups on any.
Im generally fairly clue-full on how to spot a phishing scam because i deal with them for work, but i guess i will just keep switching passwords every few weeks to make sure