3 Day Suspension for the word "POOPOO" :(

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: PukeSkywalker.2370

PukeSkywalker.2370

I already submitted a ticket with no response yet. Just wanted to vent a little…

I was in Lion’s Arch waiting for Lost Shores to begin when my screen suddenly went black and I received a message that I was suspended for 71 hours for an unacceptable username. My Charr’s name is/was Poopoo Kitty, (its what I call my cat and I think it’s cute, not meant to be offensive.)

I just have to say, that I think this is crazy and unfair! I have to miss the entire Lost Shores event because of the word “poopoo” ? How can this word be offensive in a game where you can actually pick up poop and throw it? A game where you can drink alcohol? A game where the NPC’s say “ kitten #8221; (I don’t think kitten is bad but its a heck of a lot worse than POOPOO!) And of course, we are killing stuff constantly but POOPOO is unacceptable and offensive? Poopoo isn’t even offensive to two years olds!

Yeah, so that’s it. And before you make any assumptions, I am very kind and helpful while playing and have never said or done anything bad. Just poopoo. :*(

Anyone else think making me miss Lost Shores and a 3 day ban for the word poopoo is silly?

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Your account name and the character name say everything it needs to.

Ban deserved. Grow up.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Kumu Honua.2751

It’s not me you have to convince. I didn’t ban ya.

PukeSkywalker.2370

Not trying to convince you of anything, but you sir (or ma’m) are rude! What did I do to you to deserve that?

Kumu Honua.2751

The help you received was. Don’t use offensive words. Puke and poop and all of the rest of the bodily functions you can think of are offensive. Whether from the word itself or the imagery it produces.

It has no place as a name. The punishment for a name infraction is 3 days thinking about what you did in a corner.

PukeSkywalker.2370

Yet it’s okay to throw poop in the game? :/ I’m sure there are many things in the game that can be deemed offensive from different people’s perspectives.

I am truly sorry that normal bodily functions offend you, perhaps you are the one who needs to grow up.

Posted by: Igopewpew.8693

Igopewpew.8693

LMFAO really ? Poopoo is an offensive name ? Oh please… Many +/-2 year olds are taught to say poopoo when they have to go to the toilet. How on earth can poopoo be offensive. So basically parents are teaching their 2 year olds to say offensive stuff ? I don’t think so. I really don’t think saying poopoo offends anyone on this earth except for the person that applied the ban.

Kumu Honua.2751

I didn’t report your name. I didn’t ban you.

I probably wouldn’t have looked twice.

But the fact that you have to defend yourself for your name is really amazing. Just take your medicine. Learn your lesson. That sort of thing doesn’t fly in Guild wars. Didn’t fly in GW1 either. Doesn’t fly in most MMO’s.

You have to make sure your name would be something that you would say to a 5 year old child with an overly protective parent that would scream and cry and moan at the slightest insult.

That’s simply how the MMO world works.

PukeSkywalker.2370

Thank you Igopewpew, I was beginning to think I was surrounded by crazies!

Posted by: zbrkesbr.4173

zbrkesbr.4173

You got 72hr suspension for your account name which is in violation of GW2 naming policy

If you CBA to read the rules here are some quotes:

We do not permit names that:

• Make inappropriate references to human anatomy or bodily functions.
  • Reference names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials, or products.
  • Use misspellings or alternative spellings of names that violate any of the above rules.

If a name is reported to us and is in violation of the guidelines above, for the first offense, you will be required to rename your character upon your next login and your account will be marked and suspended pursuant to Guild Wars 2 Conduct Breaches and Outcomes. For the second offense, we will assign you a new name and your account will again be marked and suspended pursuant to Guild Wars 2 Conduct Breaches and Outcomes. We may take further action at our discretion.

Have a good day.

War doesn’t determine who is right, only who is left.

Posted by: Broadband Tees.2869

Broadband Tees.2869

Yup 72 hours is way too long anyways , ArenaNet banned us for 3 days to make sure not too many people would log in at the same time for the event. Simple as that.

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

Why did you risk such a name on an ArenaNet game?

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Lilmatron.9516

Lilmatron.9516

I can understand, based on the terms of agreement, why action was taken.

However, a 3 day suspension IMO is overboard. A prompt for a name change should be enough. A 3 day suspension sounds like something fit for repeat-offenders.

PukeSkywalker.2370

Broadband Tees- Yup, that was my first thought. You got banned also?

Posted by: Lilmatron.9516

Lilmatron.9516

I didn’t get banned. In WoW though, I had a character name with a variation of the word “gas” in it (hint: starts with f and ends in t). I got my name auto changed by Blizzard. Fair enough, but like you I thought it would be ok because there was an emote where you can, er, pass gas on someone.

Ah well, a learning experience. ;-)

Posted by: anonymouse.9053

anonymouse.9053

I went by “gassy” in another game and started out with that name here but then saw “Make inappropriate references to human anatomy or bodily functions” in the naming policy. So I changed my name and, alas, no suspension.

While “poopoo” might be amusing to you and others, it’s still considered a reference to a bodily function. If you have other names that refer to bodily functions I suggest changing them when you get your account back.

ArenaNet isn’t screwing around by swatting people’s hands and saying “please don’t do that.” They mean business with regard to players following the code of conduct. I’m surprised everyone hasn’t realized that yet.

Kumu Honua.2751

It’s not like they haven’t been doing it for 7 whole years or anything…

Posted by: Makarei.4316

Makarei.4316

I’ve been suspended for not logging into guildwars for a duration of 3 months.

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

@Makarei.
Impossible anet would not do that.

I’v not logged into my gw account for well over a year now,i just tested it and logged in fine.
anet will not suspend and account for not logging in for a long period of time.
there must be more to this than not just logging in.

Posted by: anonymouse.9053

anonymouse.9053

I went a lot longer than 3 months and was still able to log in to my gw1 account. It has nothing to do with your inactivity level.

Posted by: venusiano.8246

venusiano.8246

The just should have edited the name. No need to suspend the account. Over-moderation can kill a game faster than most bugs.

Posted by: Fu Ling U.6918

Fu Ling U.6918

If it is the first ‘offense’ : let the user changed the name (or change it for him/her).
Second time: suspend account and change the name.

Don’t know if it is true, but I did hear that there are some names that where refused in GW2 and allowed in GW1. That would be confusing.
I hope nobody has any problems with my character names in GW2, someone pointed out that the first part is an abbriviation for … (sorry, can’t type it in the forums). If people feel offended about my name, so be it. But I think they a) don’t read very well and b) they have no sense of humor.
If A-net at some point decide that it is a name that doesn’t apply with the GW2 rules, so be it (I have to rename 8 characters then). I will point out that I use that name in GW1 for many years. After that: I take a 3 day rest, do some reading, watch some tele, go to my mother… after all, it is not the end of the world.

Kumu Honua.2751

Nope. Slam their fingers in the car door.

People don’t learn with punishments that have no bite.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Our Naming Policy is pretty clear about the use of crude bodily functions for names. People cannot filter or block seeing names, so we are a bit more sensitive to those than to chat. But to be honest, I highly doubt you were given a three-day suspension for the word “poopoo.” In every case I’ve come across where someone claimed something similar, they were posting us the least offensive name, where others on the account far exceeded the policies.

I know this because I did the “outings” on Reddit, and for everyone who claimed “Ah shucks, all I said was ‘dang’ and I got blocked,” I found they said repeated, extremely offensive things in other comments. And the same applies to names.

If the name is only mildly offensive, we generally block the name — which flags it for user remaining — and we remove any suspension. I’m checking with the team for the details, but as someone pointed out the display name isn’t great, either.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet