Issues with 64-bit Client

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Evil Seabass.5214

Evil Seabass.5214

As the title states, the 64-bit client is not good. Constant crashing since it was FORCED upon my system. Adding -32 to the shortcut does no good for me and the client continues to crash.

HOW DO I GET THE 32-BIT CLIENT BACK??? I dont want the 64-bit

Posted by: Jon Olson

Jon Olson

Programmer

We’d like to fix the crashes. Please post the details (preferably in an attachment.)

As for switching back to the 32-bit client in the meantime:

…you can force it to stay on the 32-bit client by adding -32 to the command line.

Beta, Character Select/Create, Enhanced Squad UI, Play for Free, Raids, Streaming Client, & Mac

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You have to download the 32-bit client to another spot, rename it, and then add the Command Line Argument, I believe.

Good luck.

Evil Seabass.5214

We’d like to fix the crashes. Please post the details (preferably in an attachment.)

…you can force it to stay on the 32-bit client by adding -32 to the command line.

I’m not your QA department.

I try downloading the 32-bit client, and it gives me 64-bit. I use the command line edits, but that doesnt help – It is still the 64-bit client running in 32-bit mode (which is BS and full of crashes).

Give me a link to the 32-bit executable. Thats all I ask.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I’m not your QA department.

I try downloading the 32-bit client, and it gives me 64-bit. I use the command line edits, but that doesnt help – It is still the 64-bit client running in 32-bit mode (which is BS and full of crashes).

Give me a link to the 32-bit executable. Thats all I ask.

Then how about you ship them your computer so that they can run tests to see why it crashes for you but not for others.

There is no way that ANY COMPANY that makes computer programs can test any computer program against every possible combination of hardware and software that’s out there. The more complicated the program (such as with computer games like GW2), the more likely there are combinations out there that will crash with the current code. So ALL COMPANIES that make computer programs do have to rely on user help in finding out what causes crashes.

Sending them a crash log does not mean that you sign a contract that means you get to mess with your computer’s settings and programs and hardware to help them figure out what crashes. They’ll look at the crash logs they get and figure out what it is from there and change the code. The more people submit crash logs and the quicker they do so, the faster the problem is found. The faster the problem is found, the quicker it is solved.

So it is in your best interest to send them the crash logs if you want the crashing to stop.

Posted by: ryanam.8107

ryanam.8107

Sounds like he knows that the 32-bit client worked. And he wants to use that to play the product he’s paid for rather than getting involved with fixing a client he didn’t ask for.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here are some instructions found with Google for getting (and using) the 32-bit client , I’m sure there are more :

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/64bit-or-32bit/first#post6196638

(You can just put ‘Guild Wars 2 forum 32-bit client’ in the search bar of Google for more forum posts on the subject.)

Good luck.

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

The client is always changing.

Something has changed with it. There are various crashes across multiple people with access violations, black screens, I personally saw a crash log that stated “Memory Leak”. And gw2 doesn’t really ever crash for me, except for the time at HoT release because of 32bit limit.

But it is not that it’s buggy because it’s running 64 bit, or running the 64 bit in 32. Even before it was more of the 32 bit client running in 64 bit anyways. That’s how we really got the 64 client in the first place…

You can try the above, no idea if it really makes a difference but what have you got to lose?

Or, oh I don’t know… do what the dev asked you to do so they can actually fix it.

Seera.5916

Sounds like he knows that the 32-bit client worked. And he wants to use that to play the product he’s paid for rather than getting involved with fixing a client he didn’t ask for.

He can still send in the reports for the crashes he has experienced even if he does get the 32-bit client to tide him until he wants to try the 64-bit client again.

Because there’s something about his computer’s set up that’s causing the game to crash. I’ve yet to experience a single crash that wasn’t already fixed with the 64-bit client. The only crash I had was with a specific personal story step that I believe has sense been fixed. So it’s obviously not the 64-bit client by itself that’s causing the crashing. It’s the combination of it and the OP’s computer.

The OP can’t expect ANet to be able to fix the problem if they don’t have the information about why it crashed when it did. That’s all ANet’s asking from the OP. The crash logs so that they look into why it crashed so that they have a chance of being able to fix it.

Posted by: ryanam.8107

ryanam.8107

He can still send in the reports for the crashes he has experienced even if he does get the 32-bit client to tide him until he wants to try the 64-bit client again.

Because there’s something about his computer’s set up that’s causing the game to crash. I’ve yet to experience a single crash that wasn’t already fixed with the 64-bit client. The only crash I had was with a specific personal story step that I believe has sense been fixed. So it’s obviously not the 64-bit client by itself that’s causing the crashing. It’s the combination of it and the OP’s computer.

The OP can’t expect ANet to be able to fix the problem if they don’t have the information about why it crashed when it did. That’s all ANet’s asking from the OP. The crash logs so that they look into why it crashed so that they have a chance of being able to fix it.

You understand how monotonous that gets though, right? I only normally post stuff here if I’m genuinely interested in the issue as I work in development. That’s probably the reason I don’t have any character over level 20… I just give up after receiving the same responses over and over again, providing the same information over and over again.

Judging by the tech support forum page, there are issues with the 64-bit client. Period. There are too many people posting about the same things. He wants a client that works. He doesn’t want to get involved in the fix process, he just wants to play. That’s perfectly reasonable for someone who is, like me, incredibly frustrated with the kinds of problems this game has and the frequency at which they seem to appear.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

The frequency at which issues appear with the 64 bit client in the support sub forum is naturally much greater than the issues the majority of the player base experience. You cannot point to 20-30 posts and say this is a frequent issue. That’s surely less than 1% of the player base.

I’m not saying that it shouldn’t be addressed. But you have to understand the perspective of the issue.

Evil Seabass.5214

Here are some instructions found with Google for getting (and using) the 32-bit client , I’m sure there are more :

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/64bit-or-32bit/first#post6196638

(You can just put ‘Guild Wars 2 forum 32-bit client’ in the search bar of Google for more forum posts on the subject.)

Good luck.

The thread you linked has the solution I needed. Thanks for this! I am now running the actual 32-bit client, not the 64-bit client in 32-bit mode.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m glad your issue was solved. =)

I, too, prefer to use the 32-bit client.

Seera.5916

You understand how monotonous that gets though, right? I only normally post stuff here if I’m genuinely interested in the issue as I work in development. That’s probably the reason I don’t have any character over level 20… I just give up after receiving the same responses over and over again, providing the same information over and over again.

Judging by the tech support forum page, there are issues with the 64-bit client. Period. There are too many people posting about the same things. He wants a client that works. He doesn’t want to get involved in the fix process, he just wants to play. That’s perfectly reasonable for someone who is, like me, incredibly frustrated with the kinds of problems this game has and the frequency at which they seem to appear.

That’s the thing. He said he wasn’t their QA department when all ANet asked was for the crash logs. ANet wasn’t asking the poster to do any troubleshooting at all. Sending ANet the crash logs does not take 5 hours to do. It takes very little effort to attach the crash logs.

In the time it takes to download the 32 bit client he could get ANet the crash logs I bet. With time to spare.

Because there are players who do not have any crashing issues with the 64-bit client it’s obviously not the code itself. So ANet’s ability to QA the problem is dependent on players sending in crash logs. If players do not send in reports, ANet’s left guessing and they could break it more than it already is.

It’s like a person going to doctor and saying they don’t feel good and not giving the doctor any clue as to why and refuses to answer any questions and tells the doctor to figure it out.

I also wasn’t advocating the OP send in every crash log he gets from when the crashing started until when it stops. Just two or three or even just one would likely give ANet a lot more clues as to what makes the game crash for the OP but not for other players.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Crash logs only takes minutes to send to ANet. When the crash occurs you are prompt whether to send it or not. All you need to do is click on send.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Crash logs or no, all the OP wanted was information on how to download and utilize the 32-bit client. Not how to solve the problem (here) with 64-bit client. As noted above, the crash window will send the report to ArenaNet. For some, using the 32-bit client does solve the issue.

The Dev that responded might not be aware that merely downloading the 32-bit client from ‘My Account’ won’t allow one to use it without renaming.

Fortunately, the issue was solved.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Almachial.5493

Almachial.5493

Crash logs only takes minutes to send to ANet. When the crash occurs you are prompt whether to send it or not. All you need to do is click on send.

There is no such “prompt” or log when GW2 crashes your complete system to “off”. Not only the application, from one second to the next. I don’t state that it is absolutely sure GW2.exe but it only occures when playing GW2 for 15 to 20 minutes… and not occuring with any other game, application even benchmark tests… so I’m pretty sure…

Posted by: That ol noob.7083

That ol noob.7083

There is no such “prompt” or log when GW2 crashes your complete system to “off”. Not only the application, from one second to the next. I don’t state that it is absolutely sure GW2.exe but it only occures when playing GW2 for 15 to 20 minutes… and not occuring with any other game, application even benchmark tests… so I’m pretty sure…

Crashing full system to off? gw2 can’t do that, it lacks the kernal-level access needed to cause a crash that catastrophic.

Want a guild in which you actually have a vote?
Contact me and see if you are eligible for Council of Dusk [Dusk]

Seera.5916

Crashing full system to off? gw2 can’t do that, it lacks the kernal-level access needed to cause a crash that catastrophic.

Depends on the cause. If something in the code caused overheating it would cause a system crash. Which could happen for players on systems that barely meet recommended specs.

Posted by: sirsquishy.2619

sirsquishy.2619

Depends on the cause. If something in the code caused overheating it would cause a system crash. Which could happen for players on systems that barely meet recommended specs.

If your PC powers off due to thermal issues, its not the software its the cooling system in the PC thats to blame. Yes, Software can make a system pull a 100% load, but the cooling in PCs are designed to sustain such a load for hours if not days with out harming the hardware.

Powering off like that is probably a CPU thermal protection event. The OP can trace it using various tools (Prime95 for thermal Testing, HWInfo/CoreTemp for system/CPU temps and GPU-Z for GPU temps). The OP needs to troubleshoot why his system powered off a bit. And the first thing to do there is always to pull simulated full load temps while monitoring.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Days? Try weeks. I run SETI@HOME when I’m not playing which pegs all cores. I only time I reboot is due to Window updates. If you cooling system can’t handle that, fix your cooling system.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Seera.5916

If your PC powers off due to thermal issues, its not the software its the cooling system in the PC thats to blame. Yes, Software can make a system pull a 100% load, but the cooling in PCs are designed to sustain such a load for hours if not days with out harming the hardware.

Powering off like that is probably a CPU thermal protection event. The OP can trace it using various tools (Prime95 for thermal Testing, HWInfo/CoreTemp for system/CPU temps and GPU-Z for GPU temps). The OP needs to troubleshoot why his system powered off a bit. And the first thing to do there is always to pull simulated full load temps while monitoring.

Like I said, likely only an issue for players running at or near minimum requirements.

The code of Sims 3 made one of my old desktop barely be able to run it and would lag like crazy. But that was due to me having a processor that wasn’t at minimum specs.

And if he’s got a generic store bought premade PC (ie: not one of the stores noted for making gaming PC’s) it may not be built for withstanding the load gaming puts on systems. Which was my issue for Sims 3.

And the first thing he should do is pull it out open it up and make sure it isn’t a dust issue. Because that’s the easiest to check and fix.

Posted by: sirsquishy.2619

sirsquishy.2619

Like I said, likely only an issue for players running at or near minimum requirements.

The code of Sims 3 made one of my old desktop barely be able to run it and would lag like crazy. But that was due to me having a processor that wasn’t at minimum specs.

And if he’s got a generic store bought premade PC (ie: not one of the stores noted for making gaming PC’s) it may not be built for withstanding the load gaming puts on systems. Which was my issue for Sims 3.

And the first thing he should do is pull it out open it up and make sure it isn’t a dust issue. Because that’s the easiest to check and fix.

Thanks for agreeing with me. But it doesnt matter how old or weak the OPs PC is, it should be able to sustain a max load with out powering off under any condition. Per the cooling spec.

Seera.5916

Thanks for agreeing with me. But it doesnt matter how old or weak the OPs PC is, it should be able to sustain a max load with out powering off under any condition. Per the cooling spec.

But a system not designed for gaming might not have the cooloing specs able to handle the heavy load. And if it’s old enough and constantly was at full load, something may be failing.

But without more details all we can do is speculate.

Posted by: Almachial.5493

Almachial.5493

That’s why I said, I don’t say it is GW2, but it is only related to GW2. I ran benchmark progs to provoke issues with temperature or memory… but everything is okay. This PC ran GW2 for months with no prob and still runs everything else from video editing to every kind of game. Temperature logs indicate that there is no issue related to that … so I don’t know, why my PC is crashing after some minutes of GW2 gameplay.

PS: Seems to be Win10 related, too. Cause these issues appear since Upgrade. 64 bit client was used before without problems.

Anything I can do to “informe” ANet properly (tools)?