7 years old PC without LAG in WWW @ 1080p

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

Um… you better off going for Intel 3570k lines and up Z77 board. It will costs you a few pounds but really the performance vs that X4 is night and day for GW2 specifically CPU bound game. Then you can grab a GTX 660Ti or something.

I had X4 CPU, 3570k, 3770k and 9800GT, HD6970, GTX680 etc etc.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

(edited by DJRiful.3749)

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

Um… you better off going for Intel 3570k lines and up Z77 board. It will costs you a few pounds but really the performance vs that X4 is night and day for GW2 specifically CPU bound game. Then you can grab a GTX 660Ti or something.

I had X4 CPU, 3570k, 3770k and 9800GT, HD6970, GTX680 etc etc.

If he’s getting good performance on what his current specs are and he’s happy with it then I don’t see the need for him to upgrade.

Posted by: NineNair.5238

NineNair.5238

omg, I’ve try this and now my fps change from ~15 in wvw zerg to stable 31 fps (i limit the frame rate to 30). Thanks a lot!

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

Thanks a lot, this was an interesting read

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Posted by: Gnat.5124

Gnat.5124

Interesting, although uninstalling your av product is a bit over the top – you can disable when you’re playing

Posted by: AndresR.4532

AndresR.4532

my fx 8350 and hd 6850 get fps drops in zerg as normal
i can put all in lowest and the improve is amazing, very smooth but who wants to play the game like that?

Posted by: Cinaed.2649

Cinaed.2649

how did you start the client -nosound?

terminal? I’m not following that step

Posted by: pandas.9450

pandas.9450

make my 12 yr computer run gw2? xD it freezes after log in

Avelos.6798

Hey dude! I run AVG myself here and have an AMD system so I wanted to give this a try with my AMD FX-8350. Rather than removing AVG completely, do you think I can do more than just add a scan exception to my Guild Wars 2 directory on my AV?
Also, where are the caches located on the C drive?

(edited by Avelos.6798)

Avelos.6798

Okay so I’m about to try the -nosound.
--
Tried it now, and it looks like I got maybe around 2 frames increase, 1 or 2 frames per second. It does not appear that my sound is a problem but maybe I can try without an AV eventually. I just don’t really want to do that because I have a download cap and can only download so much. It sucks but I wanna give this all a try though.

Posted by: Batdogi.7142

Batdogi.7142

Great to see this. While mine is not that old it is good information to have so I can consider it when i do feel the need to do something besides spending money.

Not using the onboard sound is always a good suggestion if you can do it. Even a cheap sound card will usually have better sound quality than onboard sound and a good one will lessen the pressure on a CPU.

Intel Q8400
8GB Ram
nVidia 660ti
some office store branded PCI-e sound card
Win 7

/not a bookmark

“Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.”
? Marcus Aurelius Antoninus

Posted by: Lani.1429

Lani.1429

wow, im speechless really worked for me. 1900 hours of kitten fps this made evrything stable.

thanks alot bro you deserve a medal. just unbelievable this wasnt mentioned by anet………..

(edited by Lani.1429)

Posted by: Radical Ewok.2683

Radical Ewok.2683

Thank you SO much! I started playing a few weeks ago and have always had terrible fps even with everything on low.

Now I run the game with medium textures and get +55fps. Only dipping during zergs.

I also tried this: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/tech/FPS-and-Performance-based-issues-1

I found your write up a little hard to read at points. Basically for others having trouble.

Right click GW2 desktop icon > Properties

Change the Target Path to [“c:\\…..\GW2.exe” -nosound] without the [ ] and a space after the second “ .

I found I had to type " -nosound" manually as copy and pasting from this thread did not work.

My system:

Intel E8500 Duo 3.16GHz
4GB Ram
GeForce 460 GTX

All components apart from the GPU (which is still second hand) have been part of my computer for over 5 years. So like OP, also using old and very used components.

Posted by: Tasemi.7540

Tasemi.7540

hey thanks a lot man, my loadtimes were over a minute. After i tried -nosound i got them down to 15-20 secs or much lower. I also have much higher and stable fps in very populated areas (it is better at medium settings now rather than previously at low settings). U are a genious ;0.