72 hour ban for "racial slurs"? seriously??

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: JinAtonic.2781

JinAtonic.2781

Are you serious??

I got set up by bunch of chinese trolls bagging americans and had to reply back.

They all report me but i didn’t report me.

How is my first ever offense a 3 day ban?? no warning or anything…this is ridiculous

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Are you serious??

Yes.

I got set up by bunch of chinese trolls bagging americans and had to reply back.

Specifically chinese people? And to call people racist things in retaliation was the smartest thing to do?

You didn’t report yourself? I’m amazed, you should have.

How is my first ever offense a 3 day ban?? no warning or anything…this is ridiculous

There is no grey area to disrespectful, racist, childish antics such as these in this game.

“While playing Guild Wars 2, you must respect the rights of others and their rights to play and enjoy the Game. To this end, you may not defraud, harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other players. This includes posting insulting, offensive, or abusive comments about players, repeatedly sending unwanted messages, reporting players maliciously, attacking a player based on race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc. Hate speech is not tolerated.”

^ Every single time you press “Play” you accept these terms and others. You can avoid being banned by not accepting these terms, which in turn will not allow you to play. Learn from your mistakes, come back in 3 days, try not to throw racial slurs at people in a video game.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

(edited by Geotherma.2395)

Posted by: gassy.8975

gassy.8975

I love these threads because it reminds me ArenaNet isn’t letting people get away with the things they get away with in other games. I suggest using these 3 days to find different ways of responding to people who annoy you (it’s best not to respond at all), because if I’m not mistaken the next suspensions will be 7 days.

ArenaNet doesn’t play around when it comes to stuff like this, fortunately.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Are you serious??

No, you don’t have to reply. If they are saying something reportable then report and put on ignore. If they aren’t saying something reportable then just ignore. You don’t need to respond in kind to other people trolling or making remarks

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

When you started playing you agreed to the user agreement. This includes that you promised to not use faul language. There is even a specific note bout racial slur. That was your warning. Arenanet has found that additional warnings have zero effect.

The first offense is indeed 72 hours.

Whatever others did are not an excuse to do the same. If they broke the rules you should have reported them and optionally have blocked them (the last to protect yourself). Then they would have your faith and you where playing the game right now.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

I love these threads because it reminds me ArenaNet isn’t letting people get away with the things they get away with in other games. I suggest using these 3 days to find different ways of responding to people who annoy you (it’s best not to respond at all), because if I’m not mistaken the next suspensions will be 7 days.

ArenaNet doesn’t play around when it comes to stuff like this, fortunately.

So true. I also love that they’re always so surprised. Like it was horrible when someone ELSE called them names, but THEY should be allowed to do it back because reasons! Or “in other games blah blah!”

Look, there’s no bible of the internet that says what the rules “should” be. Every site gets to pick. They can literally put in in the TOS “anyone who says ‘banana’ gets a 3-day ban”. I’ve seen a forum that infracts you if you comment on something funny with “you made me spit out my drink”. If you come over to my house and think “make me a sammich” jokes are funny, I can throw you out and never invite you back. Even if you bought an expensive plane ticket to come visit me.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

JinAtonic.2781

Are you serious??

Yes.

Specifically chinese people? And to call people racist things in retaliation was the smartest thing to do?

You didn’t report yourself? I’m amazed, you should have.

There is no grey area to disrespectful, racist, childish antics such as these in this game.

“While playing Guild Wars 2, you must respect the rights of others and their rights to play and enjoy the Game. To this end, you may not defraud, harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other players. This includes posting insulting, offensive, or abusive comments about players, repeatedly sending unwanted messages, reporting players maliciously, attacking a player based on race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc. Hate speech is not tolerated.”

^ Every single time you press “Play” you accept these terms and others. You can avoid being banned by not accepting these terms, which in turn will not allow you to play. Learn from your mistakes, come back in 3 days, try not to throw racial slurs at people in a video game.

OF course i didn’t report them…. I dont even know how to as i just started the game.

llol i don’t know about you but i dont get mad over a video game and report people for talk unless they are hacking or botting…

Even if i did, i wouldn’t. Do people really take a video game this seriously lol… it was just light hearted banter and nothing serious. All i said was that the chinese should go play on their on server since they were spamming chinese language on NA server.

The punishment didn’t fit the crime, 3 day ban without any warning or at least a 1 day ban is overkill.

bluestocking.6148

If you don’t get mad over a video game, why did you type racial slurs? I manage not to do that even when I AM mad.

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

Yes, SERIOUSLY!

Why should anyone put up with bigotry and racism?

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

If anet starts lacking and giving people slack, sooner or later map chat will look like Tera global chat or Aion LFG. If anyone has played those games you know exactly what I’m talking about.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

JinAtonic.2781

If you don’t get mad over a video game, why did you type racial slurs? I manage not to do that even when I AM mad.

i didn’t get mad, only the chinese did.

I just told them to go back to their servers.

I got banned for 3 days with no warning or anything on my very first offense after getting aggravated first and they don’t get any punishment

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Your warning was when you agreed with the game’s TOS.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

bluestocking.6148

How do you know they didn’t get any punishment? I don’t think any game company is in the habit of announcing what punishment other people get to random strangers.

So, you’re saying you type racial slurs when you’re NOT mad, as a matter of course. I certainly don’t want to play any games with you, and I’m whiter than sour cream.

Posted by: Fenlander.9037

Fenlander.9037

Personally I’d be in favour of an instant ban for racist language, you should consider yourself lucky that ArenaNet gave you a second chance.

Posted by: Lanceor.2763

Lanceor.2763

Can’t we all just get along? We all hail from the HUMAN race.

Never did any racial slurs in english before, I do it in my language which often I slur upon my cousins.

Jade Quarry

Posted by: ShadyNZL.9018

ShadyNZL.9018

Can’t we all just get along? We all hail from the HUMAN race.

Excuse me! I AM NORN!

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Are you serious??

Yes, we are.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet