"A disk I/O error has occured."

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Ides.2084

Ides.2084

After a few months off, I’m trying to update GW2. The launcher starts up, begins download and about 10 seconds into it a window pops up: “A disk I/O error has occurred. Guild Wars 2 will now terminate.” At that point the application terminates. I’ve tried a few times. Never had any issues with updating GW2 before and my disk is fine as far as I can tell (obviously since I’m typing from this computer). What can I do short of reinstalling GW2 in a different folder? Also, a message in the error box about what to do to fix things (more detailed error) would have been nice! I’m going to try running disk check to see if it’s just a matter of a bad sector but otherwise I have no idea.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Posted by: Ides.2084

Ides.2084

I have also tried renaming GW2.tmp in the game forlder to see if it will redownload but I get the same error.

Posted by: takakas.1870

takakas.1870

Hey there, I’m getting the same message lately every time I try to run the game. It suddenly started when I tried to update at some point. Before that, the game was running perfectly well. Any solutions?

Posted by: Nele.9250

Nele.9250

Yesterday was fine , today i get this err too….Never saw it before btw.

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

Disk I/O error usually means failing hardware.

Open event viewer from your control panel>administrative tools

look through the application log and Windows log for Disk errors.

If you see any then you must replace your hard drive/SSD.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Posted about this in another thread but:
1. Your disk might be corrupted, run a checkdisk
2. Your permissions might have changed in the default program files folder (windows 7 likes to do this randomly) Copy all the files to a different location (not in program files folder or desktop) – make a new folder somewhere to put it and then run it from there.
3. Your hard drive might be too full to update
4. Your hard drive might be failing

Posted by: Fox HunterXxX.8754

Fox HunterXxX.8754

it’s happened to me the same problem today, and i still cant find a solution for come back in the game, even after i’ve try all the things write in this post

Posted by: Skeet.3257

Skeet.3257

it’s happened to me the same problem today, and i still cant find a solution for come back in the game, even after i’ve try all the things write in this post :(

hello all, i might have found a solution for this error. this happened to me a couple of days ago and after some research on google i fixed it and gw2 is working better than ever.
An I/O disk error is something that has to do with the hard drive.(hdd ssd doesnt matter)
DO NOT replace your hard drive before trying my fix first, if your hard drive was rekt u wouldnt even be able to see this >.>
1) If you have a desktop, i would recommend opening it up(carefully) and cleaning it very very good(carefully), especially the hard disk(CAREFULLY).
2) Click on start and search for CMD, right click on CMD and run as admin(u have to run as admin or else step 3 will not work!).
(note: if u have multiple hds then make sure the cmd is showing the disk where gw2 is installed)
3) type in: chkdsk /r then enter. It will ask if you want to do the diskcheck when the pc restarts, u press Y then enter.
4) restart your pc
Your computer will start the diskcheck during the “loading windows” part and it IS GOING TO TAKE A LONG LONG LONG TIME, so do that before u go to bed or on vacation or something xD
After disk check is done windows will load and the next thing you want to do is go into the search bar again and type in: “event viewer” and click on the application. You then click on “windows log” in the top left corner, u then press on “application” under the “windows log” tab, then you want to search for a line with “wininit” under the “source” tab in the middle of the screen. There you will see the results of your disk check. Now if you see that there are “bad sectors” in your disk then your disk is rekt, if u see “Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.” then ure good. If you see a “cleaning up…..” then ure definitly good to go.
Now try to play gw2 and tell me if it worked :p
also here is a vid that can help: /watch?v=BYMWNqbNw98

(edited by Skeet.3257)

Posted by: abomally.2694

abomally.2694

“3) type in: dskchk /r then enter. It will ask if you want to do the diskcheck when the pc restarts, u press Y then enter.”

You mean chkdsk /r.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

WARNING****

Windows disk utilites may damage solid state drives check the drive manufactures web site for disk integrity and repair utilities

DO NOT USE THE WINDOWS DISK UTILITEIS ON SOLID STATE DRIVES

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

chkdsk /r is NOT a Fix for I/O errors.

/r simply searches all the sectors on the HDD for if they are bad or not and marks them bad. It also can take a bad sector and mark it good if it passes the tests. Which can get you coming right back into the same issue again.

The best thing to do is grab a utility that can read SMART data (CrystalDiskInfo is perfect for this) and see what the sector reallocation row says, and what the general health report is (Good, OK, Bad). Then go from there.

IE, If the report is BAD then replace the HDD….

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Skeet.3257

“3) type in: dskchk /r then enter. It will ask if you want to do the diskcheck when the pc restarts, u press Y then enter.”

You mean chkdsk /r.

yes thank you for correcting me! :o

Skeet.3257

chkdsk /r is NOT a Fix for I/O errors.

/r simply searches all the sectors on the HDD for if they are bad or not and marks them bad. It also can take a bad sector and mark it good if it passes the tests. Which can get you coming right back into the same issue again.

The best thing to do is grab a utility that can read SMART data (CrystalDiskInfo is perfect for this) and see what the sector reallocation row says, and what the general health report is (Good, OK, Bad). Then go from there.

IE, If the report is BAD then replace the HDD….

/r locates bad sectors and recovers readable information, like the gw2 information that isn’t readable anymore hence the i/o error… no? meh well it worked for me and thought id share how i fixed my problem, that way ppl might fix their’s before thinking about replacing their precious hd ;D i mean why would they replace the whole hd if everything is working fine except their gw2 game >.>

Posted by: Nemesis.2194

Nemesis.2194

hello all, i might have found a solution for this error. this happened to me a couple of days ago and after some research on google i fixed it and gw2 is working better than ever.
An I/O disk error is something that has to do with the hard drive.(hdd ssd doesnt matter)
DO NOT replace your hard drive before trying my fix first, if your hard drive was rekt u wouldnt even be able to see this >.>
1) If you have a desktop, i would recommend opening it up(carefully) and cleaning it very very good(carefully), especially the hard disk(CAREFULLY).
2) Click on start and search for CMD, right click on CMD and run as admin(u have to run as admin or else step 3 will not work!).
(note: if u have multiple hds then make sure the cmd is showing the disk where gw2 is installed)
3) type in: chkdsk /r then enter. It will ask if you want to do the diskcheck when the pc restarts, u press Y then enter.
4) restart your pc
Your computer will start the diskcheck during the “loading windows” part and it IS GOING TO TAKE A LONG LONG LONG TIME, so do that before u go to bed or on vacation or something xD
After disk check is done windows will load and the next thing you want to do is go into the search bar again and type in: “event viewer” and click on the application. You then click on “windows log” in the top left corner, u then press on “application” under the “windows log” tab, then you want to search for a line with “wininit” under the “source” tab in the middle of the screen. There you will see the results of your disk check. Now if you see that there are “bad sectors” in your disk then your disk is rekt, if u see “Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.” then ure good. If you see a “cleaning up…..” then ure definitly good to go.
Now try to play gw2 and tell me if it worked :p
also here is a vid that can help: /watch?v=BYMWNqbNw98

This WORKED! followed by a clean install of the game files overnight. My game works even better now.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

It isn’t so much that chckdsk will damage an SSD it’s defrag that will kill an SSD, but it’s always best to use the SSD manufacturers disk utilities instead of the Windows ones.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Posted by: para.3458

para.3458

I just encountered this problem too, was playing 6 hours ago and now i/o error. What I did was to copy (not cut) the game files to another location then deleted the old one. This fixed it in about 5 minutes!

Posted by: leafy.8240

leafy.8240

ok for this issue i encountered as well all u have to do is if on disk go to computer right click on disk that has game open. right click on setup and run as admistrator and it will work that is all u have to do. if downloaded find file right click on it open in new window and same. just right click on setup and run as administrator to make work.