A lot lower FPS since last patch(es)?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Sufyan.3601

Sufyan.3601

So, I have got this game for a little over 3 weeks now. When I got it, the settings were set to ‘Auto-detect’, and I got around 20 fps. This is, in my eyes, unplayable. The game and camera become a lot more unresponsive on low framerates.

So since that was unplayable, I put the settings to ‘Best performance’. This sets every setting to low, while keeping my resolution at 2880×1800. This was great, the game ran with about 40-60 fps, and was really nicely playable.

Now, since logging in yesterday, the game is, even on ‘Best performance’ with every setting on low, unplayable. I get around 25 fps, less when something is happening on screen.

I realize that there have been quite some patches the last few days. It seems like the patch yesterday caused this. I have not changed anything about my computer/windows or anything. I just boot to Windows to play Guild Wars.

My specs should be more than enough to play this game with low on every setting:
– Intel Ivy Bridge Core i7-3615QM @ 2.30GHz
– NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

I have tried the suggested steps in the ‘FPS and Performance based issues’ topic, but that didn’t really work. I never even had any problems since yesterday.

Is anyone else experiencing this since one of the last patches (specifically yesterday’s patch)?
Does anyone have any idea what to do about this? Having it on 1024×768 to have the game playable should really not be the case with these specs.

Posted by: Straylight.7408

Straylight.7408

I’ve got the same problem. Had an average of 55 fps up until yesterday with everything maxed out except sumpersampling and reflections on “terrain and sky”. Since today my fps dropped to an average of 35 fps.
I’m not participating in the lost shores event.
Putting “shaders” from high to low increases my fps to an average of 50. It seems the fps-drop (at least in my case) is caused by the shaders-option which was fine since yesterday.

(edited by Straylight.7408)

Sufyan.3601

That might indeed be a good thing to add. This FPS was not in a big city, big WvW battle, or in the Lost Shores event. This is just me roaming around in the Harathi Highlands. Moving to Gendarran Fields, a quiet zone in WvW or Heart of the Mists doesn’t solve the problem.

Straylight.7408

Even decreasing shaders from high to low does not give me the old average fps back. Performance is still lower then it used to be.
It’s a bummer really, please fix that.

Straylight.7408

Ok, I just solved the problem by deleting the “local.dat”-file under mydocuments/guildwars2 (where the screenshot-folder is). Maybe it will solve your problem too. After you delete this particular file you’ll have to download the latest patch again and of course all your graphic-options/sound-options etc..are back to default.

(edited by Straylight.7408)

Sufyan.3601

I have, indeed, tried that. And while I re-downloaded something, and everything was reset to the defaults, this didn’t solve the problem. My FPS is still around 20-25.

Posted by: invizo.5408

invizo.5408

Well they broke nvidia card support even further. I’m in the same boat too.

Check this thread out https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/When-Does-DX10-11-Nvidia-Patch-Come-Out-1/first#post782876

similar issues for everyone, but even before the patch. Out of the 400+ cores your GPU has, the game maybe sees 150 of them or something lol.

Sufyan.3601

Yeah, I noticed. The game isn’t that well optimized it seems. But I was content with playing on lowest settings for my native resolution.

Now that that’s not even possible anymore, this is just unplayable. It’s only playable at smaller than 1600×1200 resolutions. That’s not acceptable. I mean, noone is around, there are some deer, some trees, everything looks horrible and pixelated, and I STILL get around 30 fps.

Posted by: SpecterMAT.7306

SpecterMAT.7306

I deleted local.dat……..and it helped me WTF!!!
THANK YOU MAN

I got at lowest settings around 25 fps everywhere and a bit of lag….
Now I have 60 fps at medium-high settings anywhere.

Weird thing.

Posted by: Cipher.5680

Cipher.5680

the other day mine was at 51 FPS after last night its now 25 down to 18 FPS same setting auto at medium

I have i5 2500 3.30Ghz, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Asus GTX 550ti

now my FPS at 30

just want my 51FPS back

(edited by Cipher.5680)

Sufyan.3601

I contacted support and after a few mails, I changed some settings on their request and now I have the game running smooth as silk again, just like before. This is what they said:

“Now upon researching your CPU, it appears that you have a Max Turbo Frequency of up to 3.3Ghz, which means depending on the load of your machine, your CPU may speed up, up to 3.3GHz

This can still cause issues, if the system isn’t properly balanced since it simulates over-clocking without actually over-clocking. Faster speeds means higher temperatrues, which can degrade performance. At this point you may think, “it worked before, why is this all of a sudden an issue since the last patch?” which would be an astute observation. It’s possible something in the last patch is making the system work harder, causing it to run at the higher speeds. Since this Speccy Snapshot was taken without Guild Wars 2 running, we know that with the game your might possibly be hitting that maximum Turbo Boost frequency.

We have a work around to disable the Turbo Boost, without having to go into the BIOS to make adjustments, I have included those steps below. Once complete please send us an updated Speccy with Guild Wars 2 running so we can check your hard ware configurations.

Go into Power options (Control panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options) and click Change plan settings near your plan

Then click on Change advanced power settings

Scroll down to Processor power management and expand it.

Expand Maximum processor state and modify the setting to 99%.

Then simply click Apply and OK.

Once done, try to RUN Guild Wars 2, let us know if your low FPS increases, and provide us with the updated Speccy. If the issues persists this will help us in determining the next troubleshooting step."

Try this and see if it works for anyone experiencing these problems.

Posted by: Cipher.5680

Cipher.5680

That processor power management option at 99% my FPS are 34

after changing render sampling to subsample my FPS have gone up to 50 FPS but the graphics are blurred

(edited by Cipher.5680)