AMD R9 290X Crossfire not working

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Artisan Raiden.8215

Artisan Raiden.8215

I’ve searched around various forums, but have not found anything specific to my issue.

I have 2 R9 290X cards in crossfire, but when I play GW2 only one card is used. Other games use both cards and I’ve verified this using several utilities (MSI afterburner, Sapphire TRIXX, AMD catalyst control center)

Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so had any luck resolving it?

Specs:

i5-3570K @ 3.4Ghz
2x Sapphire R9 290X
16GB Memory

Edit: Driver is Catalyst 14.2 Omega

(edited by Artisan Raiden.8215)

Posted by: muslumgurseks.4951

muslumgurseks.4951

Are you happened to be playing the game on windowed mode? Make sure you are playing on the proper full screen mode.

X99 Deluxe / i7 5820k @4.5 /980ti KPE @1550/ Rog Swift / 16gb DDR4 /Custom Loop

Artisan Raiden.8215

I found the problem. For some reason even though the catalyst drivers have a GW2 profile by default it wasn’t using crossfire. I created a custom GW2 profile in the catalyst control center and made sure crossfire was enabled.

Not exactly stellar results though. I noticed a very small frame rate boost; I have read elsewhere that GW2 doesn’t scale well with dual GPU setups :/

Posted by: loseridoit.2756

loseridoit.2756

dont crossfire. A single 290 has enough grunt to max out gw2. This game is not graphic heavy.

Artisan Raiden.8215

I was hoping to alleviate the frame hit from the 500 person events without having to drop my gfx settings every time I run them. Alas, I will have to make do with a pretty slideshow.

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

How on earth does a 290 get you a slideshow? oO I run a video card form the stone age and get okay performance at huge events. Not great, but nowhere near a slideshow…

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Rampage.7145

Rampage.7145

Videocard will not help, since the CPU is bottlenecking you, not GPU so basically running 4 cards will not grant you a single extra frame rate on this game, i would suggest running Gw2 on a single card unless u have a 4k or a triple monitor setup u will see better performance running it on a single card, since you will not have to deal with CF frame latency, the whole system will use less power run cooler.

P.S: OC you CPU to 4.5 ghz u will notice a huge bump on performance

(edited by Rampage.7145)

Posted by: muslumgurseks.4951

muslumgurseks.4951

I found the problem. For some reason even though the catalyst drivers have a GW2 profile by default it wasn’t using crossfire. I created a custom GW2 profile in the catalyst control center and made sure crossfire was enabled.

Not exactly stellar results though. I noticed a very small frame rate boost; I have read elsewhere that GW2 doesn’t scale well with dual GPU setups :/

Minimum FPS wise you might be right especially if you are running on 1080p. I’m using it for 1440p and 4k it scales quite well however it’s still suffering from frame pacing issues on 4k.

X99 Deluxe / i7 5820k @4.5 /980ti KPE @1550/ Rog Swift / 16gb DDR4 /Custom Loop

Posted by: Wyvern.2430

Wyvern.2430

I tried 2x Sapphire R9 290x today on 2x 4K monitors, with the latest crimson drivers.
Both 32bit and 64bit client would not start and made windows 10 64 bit give a crash window (not from GW2, but windows itself), when full screen mode (needed for crossfire) is on. When windowed mode (no crossfire) was on there was no problem at all.

It seems I can not get GW2 to work using crossfire and 4k monitors.

And for everyone saying GW2 doesn’t need more GPU power, that is not the case on 4k! My CPU does not get above 60% utilization, while my GPU has 100% almost non stop.