AMD RYZEN Threadripper 1920X /w GW2

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: AvaAzul.8290

AvaAzul.8290

Looking to upgrade to a…

“AMD RYZEN Threadripper 1920X 12-Core/24 Threads 3.5 GHz Socket sTR4 180W YD192XA8AEWOF Desktop Processor”

Will Guild Wars 2 Take advantage of all Core/Threads?

Posted by: Mel.3064

Mel.3064

No, it will not take advantage of more than 4 cores.
You will be way better of buying a 7700k or the upcoming 8700k from Intel and overclocking it to 4,8Ghz+ if you want maximum fps.
Or if you want AMD get a R7-1700 and overclock it to about 4Ghz. More would be a waste if gaming is all you do.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

that will not be possible with this game and the new cpus coming out !! these are the reasons why https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/no-new-system-specs-Path-of-fire-no-buy/first

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Minimum-System-Requirements-Clarification/first#post6675879

and I got both a I-7 and waiting for the new thread ripper to come out myself . even tho I can not use them for this game to get the best bleeding edge use and feel I like

I went back and got a cheep I-5 core intel over clocked it with a gfx 960 card . and called it a day fully knowing after this and the 200+ posts in the last few weeks about this .

I will never ever be able to use 4K or max out the game with using all hardware fully . but at least other games that are coming out now I will be ready for them and the games like wow that have already done the system upgrades to their old games

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Nope. Only 3. And you don’t need that many threads unless streaming or media creation.

Save money and get an Ryzen R5 6 core. 12 threads will be more than enough.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Mel.3064

Looking to upgrade to a…

“AMD RYZEN Threadripper 1920X 12-Core/24 Threads 3.5 GHz Socket sTR4 180W YD192XA8AEWOF Desktop Processor”

Will Guild Wars 2 Take advantage of all Core/Threads?

I’m using a 5820k , 6 cores / 12 threads . Guild Wars 2 uses all 12 threads. It will scale to use all cores .

Dont trust the taskmanager. Windows keeps moving threads from core to core all the time to get optimal load balance.

Posted by: MrFayth.3546

MrFayth.3546

that will not be possible with this game and the new cpus coming out !! these are the reasons why https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/no-new-system-specs-Path-of-fire-no-buy/first

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Minimum-System-Requirements-Clarification/first#post6675879

and I got both a I-7 and waiting for the new thread ripper to come out myself . even tho I can not use them for this game to get the best bleeding edge use and feel I like

I went back and got a cheep I-5 core intel over clocked it with a gfx 960 card . and called it a day fully knowing after this and the 200+ posts in the last few weeks about this .

I will never ever be able to use 4K or max out the game with using all hardware fully . but at least other games that are coming out now I will be ready for them and the games like wow that have already done the system upgrades to their old games

There’s been many lighting/shadow/texture detail enhancements.

They’re just not HUGE changes and not very well documented, as most players don’t care about the new alpha blended floating point christmas bulbs on the trees. (there’s a huge nostalgia kick)

When they revamp the entire system with better graphics, physics, movement tracking.

They’ll call it Gw3.

i5 4690k @4.1ghz, r7 260x 1180/1680,8Gb G.skill Ripjaw 2133, 120gb ssd Gw2+OS

Mel.3064

Also found this:
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/08/10/amd-ryzen-threadripper-for-gaming?sf105093086=1

Apparently Threadripper even has a feature to disable half its cores (gaming mode) to reach higher performance. More evidience that this architecture is not really meant for gaming.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Yes and no. Yes it can use all cores/threads. No, it doesn’t use them to their fullest, just like every other CPU.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

If most of what you plan to do with your computer is to play games, even AMD themselves recommends going with any of the ‘normal’ Ryzen cpus, since they tend to perform better in games compared to threadripper. Personally, I would most likely pick the regular Ryzen 1700 since it can be just as easily oc as the 1800x, and reach the exact same performance.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Posted by: Engelsstaub.4356

Engelsstaub.4356

On Ryzen 1600 the game seems to be able to make limited use of more threads, but it’s very limited. There are 3 to 4 threads which are loaded to about 80-90% and all the others at 5-20%. They are used, but very little. The performance is really good also in WvW which is my mostly played game mode.

I could guess that 7700K would be the best CPU for this game, followed by Ryzen 1600(x) or 1700(x). I bought Ryzen for myself because I’m too stingy to spend so much money on i7.

Threadripper is pointless for gaming, although if you are buying the PC for CPU heavy working and also gaming during free time, it will be OK. Just don’t buy it solely for games.

(edited by Engelsstaub.4356)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Well this version does use 35 threads but most are below 1%, six above 18%.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes