Attention AMD users: 12.8 CAP 2 released - improves guild wars 2 performance.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Megalith.2496

Megalith.2496

thought you wanted to know, never got to test it yet.

The Empty Quarter [TEQ] WvW Commander

Posted by: FearGX.4801

FearGX.4801

whats this? is there a new driver?

Megalith.2496

catalyst application profiles, some sort of mini drivers for recent releases, this CAP is dedicated to GW2 it seems, get it from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

Posted by: Sennar.2309

Sennar.2309

Can i use it on single gpu?I read that this is for crossfire.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien

Posted by: Crazed Weevil.6028

Crazed Weevil.6028

It should be noted that the CAP updates are for Crossfire profiles only and thusly are for those of us who are using a Crossfire setup. I started using it this morning and I’ve noticed an improvement on performance. I’ve been able to turn on FXAA and set shadows to high now and still have 50-60 fps everywhere. Also note that the bug with the map seems to have gone as well.

This is running a pair of 5870s @ 2560 × 1600 by the way

Posted by: Xenoris.8970

Xenoris.8970

It was a nice improvement for me and I was able to turn up LOD Distance and Shadows FXAA seemed to be possible but I know it would not go down well in WvW.

2 × 6870s on 1920×1080

Posted by: vic.7065

vic.7065

CAP updates work for all AMD cards, Crossfire or single GPU. (http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33961798)

And yes, the latest profile (12.8 CAP 2) improves performance in GW2.

Posted by: Solefald.8751

Solefald.8751

Uhm I’m dumb maybe but, I just install this, that’s all?:P

Posted by: vic.7065

vic.7065

All you have to do is run the installer and restart your computer.

Posted by: Solefald.8751

Solefald.8751

All you have to do is run the installer and restart your computer.

Thank you for the quick answer.:)

Posted by: xabre.6901

xabre.6901

This needs to be bumped to the top. Having to lower my settings on a top end setup was annoying enough, but the map bug was killing me. Can’t wait to get home and install this. I’m so excited! Thanks!

Posted by: sync.3154

sync.3154

Made little to no difference for me on a single 6970. Still cant get an average fps of 60 on native.

Megalith.2496

Made little to no difference for me on a single 6970. Still cant get an average fps of 60 on native.

I have dual 6970s and I get 60 most of the time, and no lower than 50 in very busy events (30 player+npcs). It seems that crossfire utilization is fairly ok.

Posted by: CptBadger.5918

CptBadger.5918

It improves Crossfire performance by a whopping 7% (sic!). That’s what AMD guys said.

o.O

Posted by: Mazhurg.5720

Mazhurg.5720

Could be just me, however after a few test here I am finding out that crossfire does NOT get enabled (pair of 6950s) after the new caps are installed. On startup of the game, the second card briefly jumps to 840Mz and then immediatly drops back to idle (where it stays).

Testing with other games does not result in this behavior so it appears that there is still something not quite correct with the CAP profile.

Upon further investigation, if GW2 is run in fullscreen mode, then the cap do work, the second GPU drops off only if GW2 is set to run in windowed mode (or windowed full screen).

(edited by Mazhurg.5720)

Posted by: Mightylink.3816

Mightylink.3816

Thats nice, when are new drivers for the rest of us coming out? I haven’t seen any since july, and their beta drivers are even 2 versions behind, come on AMD v_v

Mightylink – Norn Necromancer
Mythiclink – Asura Engineer

Megalith.2496

Could be just me, however after a few test here I am finding out that crossfire does NOT get enabled (pair of 6950s) after the new caps are installed. On startup of the game, the second card briefly jumps to 840Mz and then immediatly drops back to idle (where it stays).

Testing with other games does not result in this behavior so it appears that there is still something not quite correct with the CAP profile.

Upon further investigation, if GW2 is run in fullscreen mode, then the cap do work, the second GPU drops off only if GW2 is set to run in windowed mode (or windowed full screen).

crossfire appears to only work with apps in fullscreen mode anyways, this is not exclusive to gw2.

Posted by: Kemaro.6978

Kemaro.6978

It should be noted that the CAP updates are for Crossfire profiles only and thusly are for those of us who are using a Crossfire setup.

Don’t spread misinformation. CAP profiles have SEVERAL fixes for single GPU configurations, not just Crossfire. It is in every Radeon user’s benefit to always keep the CAPs up to date.

Posted by: GoldX.7286

GoldX.7286

Be careful Kemaro, you may not be aware of what happend during the Diablo 3 launch where ATI really messed up one of their driver updates and rendered the game unplayable.

Its not always in your best interests to update to the latest drivers, especially for ATI users who get poor support in their drivers.

Speculate all you want on this however, feel free to update whenever it comes out, just don’t complain when things don’t work. Its recommended that you wait at least a week after a new update has been released before updating, to identify any potential game breaking issues.

(edited by GoldX.7286)

Posted by: Crazed Weevil.6028

Crazed Weevil.6028

It should be noted that the CAP updates are for Crossfire profiles only and thusly are for those of us who are using a Crossfire setup.

Don’t spread misinformation. CAP profiles have SEVERAL fixes for single GPU configurations, not just Crossfire. It is in every Radeon user’s benefit to always keep the CAPs up to date.

I’m sorry, but I am just pointing out what is says on AMD/ATI website about the CAP releases…

“AMD Catalyst Application Profiles – 12.8 CAP 2

This release of AMD Catalyst™ delivers support for the latest AMD CrossFireX™ profiles in a separate executable file ensuring users have access to the absolute latest set of profiles installed on their PC.

New profiles added to this release:

- Guide Wars 2 – Improves games performance"

If it improves things for you on a single GPU great but don’t be surprised it if doesn’t…

Megalith.2496

I’d like to confirm that I have experienced a sizable fps gain in lion’s arch with this update, around +20 fps. But it is worth noting that I am running a crossfire setup.

Posted by: Abraxas.7284

Abraxas.7284

I have a tri-fire setup (2×6950, 1×6970) and I can confirm that I saw an improvement in performance with this CAP at 2560×1600. This was mostly PVE, centaur events in the highlands and running around Lions Arch. I did not experience any huge FPS drops that would cause lag like issues and using the map did not cause any drops. Overall I would say the CAP made my graphics a lot more stable.

GW2 graphics settings were set at maximum.

Posted by: RiskRagger.7540

RiskRagger.7540

Anyone with a single GPU can confirm any improvement after this CAP?

Posted by: kocka.3045

kocka.3045

I can confirm improvement and I have ATI . After installing this CAP 2 for driver version 12.8 my FPS rises and what can I say: I´m happy and enyoing GW2

Posted by: DanM.7105

DanM.7105

This is, no doubt, a stupid question I’m afraid. I’ve downloaded and installed the CAP file from AMD, do I need to do anything else? I would have thought i would need to set something up in the 3d application settings area of CCC?

RiskRagger.7540

Does this solve the problem for those who have been underclocking their GPUs to prevent freeze ups?

Posted by: xDumplinx.7983

xDumplinx.7983

this update is for multi and single gpu configurations… im running a single 7850 Oc edition and see an increase of about 5-10 fps with this CAP…. it might be worthy of a mention that decent antivirus programs suchs as Bitdefender or Norton are creating massive drops in FPS…. I use Bitdefender 2013 and see about 70-80 fps… if I uninstall it i see 102-115 fps….

RiskRagger.7540

Wow that’s crazy high framerates even with the AV on. What settings are u running?

Megalith.2496

this update is for multi and single gpu configurations… im running a single 7850 Oc edition and see an increase of about 5-10 fps with this CAP…. it might be worthy of a mention that decent antivirus programs suchs as Bitdefender or Norton are creating massive drops in FPS…. I use Bitdefender 2013 and see about 70-80 fps… if I uninstall it i see 102-115 fps….

Use microsoft security essentials or nothing if you are running windows 8, worked flawlessly for me.