Account Sharing Suspected?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Mouse.1024

Mouse.1024

I know this is a violation via the User Agreement, but I have a different question.

Is one able to report a "Suspected Account Sharer? Would they be able to run IP checks or traces, or at least send a warning letter about “possible account sharing”, and consequences if they continue, so both parties are alert and aware about this?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

If the people are using the same computer or the same set of IPs, I can’t think of how ANet can catch them by this method. I’m sure you can report it though and they can check it out.

Posted by: weaslex.8341

weaslex.8341

Honestly, there are a number of reasons why people would share an account, one being that they only have one computer. The other is that it’s actually a family, and they like to know what their child is doing. I honestly wouldn’t bother half the time with it, but the choice is yours to do with as you please.

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

I know this is a violation via the User Agreement, but I have a different question.

Is one able to report a "Suspected Account Sharer? Would they be able to run IP checks or traces, or at least send a warning letter about “possible account sharing”, and consequences if they continue, so both parties are alert and aware about this?

While it is a violation of the TOS, it’s almost impossible to enforce. There is no practical way to verify who is using an account if it’s shared. I log in from 2 different locations, so my account would show multiple IPs as well as multiple computers if they even bother to track that. 2 people sharing an account from 1 location, like a collage or school may only have a single IP address. The main reason it is frowned upon is if both people who are sharing an account both claim it is theirs. Ownership cannot be proved, so the account would be disabled and neither party would have access to it. The other issue is the “bratty little brother” syndrome, where someone sharing an account deletes toons are does some other damage to an account.

Posted by: Mouse.1024

Mouse.1024

Hmm ok, I will report my findings soon. One of the findings I know they’re sharing is when “they need something from said account”, they’ll log off from one account and automatically login the other, once they did what they wanted, it logs off, then logs back into the first account. Hmmm

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

That doesn’t sound like account-sharing, but rather that said person has 2 accounts. Nothing wrong with having multiple accounts. Maybe I am misunderstanding, though.

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

@ Mouse, I have 2 accounts, many times I will do exactly what you said, moving stuff around ect. And for certain, I have never, nor would ever even consider sharing my account. Still not sure by the actions you said in that post that has anything to do with sharing. Unless I’m missing something

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

This indeed doesn’t sound like account sharing but just a second account.

The question you have to ask yourself is if you want to report people who are account sharing. Account sharing is harmfull for arenanet and harmfull for the people doing it (cause the account ownership can get disputed, leaving anet no alternative to delete the account). But it is not harmfull for the game or the community.

The other day someone said in mapchat he bought the account from a friends brother. I kindly warned him bout the consequences and hopefully he got to his friends brother to get his money back. I do not feel the need to report.

When it comes to account sharing there are often only victums.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

There really is no mechanism for reporting this. We often hear about these cases when someone sells off saved mats, or uses the combined gold to make a purchase for a personal character. In other words, we hear about it when the sharing fails. And, as pointed out, there’s nothing we can do to solve the problem when it lies between two people willingly sharing an account.

So you could submit a ticket if you wish, but quite honestly it won’t be a priority to investigate. Fact is, we’ll probably hear about it at some point anyway, since these things so often blow up.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet