Account name changed on me...

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Topher.1684

Topher.1684

A while back you guys (anet) changed my account name (was Wilow, now is Topher….). This was not done as a request by me and I opened a ticket about it (original ticket was on Dec 30 2012). After an initial confused response, I got:

Hmm well I am very sorry for the confusion with the previous GM. Regardless though I’m afraid we are not currently able to change your display name for you. As the previous GM mentioned we may allow players to change their own Display Names in the future, but it’s not possible right now unless the name violates a naming policy. If this changes at any time in the future though and we are able to offer this as a service will be sure to make an announcement.

You can get all the latest news by watching the main site http://www.guildwars2.com/ , the blog http://www.arena.net/blog/ , our Twitter #!/guildwars2 , and our Facebook https://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2. So once we do have some information on that, we should make a post on those sites.

It’s been over 7 months now and I have yet to see anything bout this subject come up.

No reason was ever given as to WHY my account name was changed.

Could I get someone to look into this (I’m assuming 7 months is enough time that it’s okay that I post about a ticket I submitted). I’m sorry if this comes off as rude, but it’s actually coming from a building source of frustration.

EDIT: Just to clarify, my Forum display name AND in game account name was changed.

EDIT 2: Can’t believe I forgot to add the ticket number 121230-000853

(edited by Topher.1684)

Posted by: SandraSolace.7682

SandraSolace.7682

You can still update your ticket right?
Add to it and wait for an answer.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I agree with Sandra here. You are claiming arenanet changed your name, while the reaction of the agent is the policy that arenanet has on this. So I do understand their reaction as well. I would advise you to update the ticket with more reasons why you think it was changed by arenanet and why you disagree with the change.

Wilow is as far as I know not a violation of the naming policy (or I would be in trouble cause I have a character called Willow Genini).

So please update your ticket and be persistent, I’m pretty sure it will result in a more likely answer.

If you think you are totally stuck with support and you are running circles or they given you a ‘final’ answer you disagree with then I would advise you to ask an arenanet senior official to look into it. She will always need a 12 digit ticket number.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Topher.1684

Topher.1684

You can still update your ticket right?
Add to it and wait for an answer.

They closed it after that reply, so I decided to wait and see if anything were to come forth. Guess I’ll just have to open a new ticket come Monday. I don’t know about others, but I haven’t had the greatest experiences with ticket customer support in this game

I agree with Sandra here. You are claiming arenanet changed your name, while the reaction of the agent is the policy that arenanet has on this. So I do understand their reaction as well. I would advise you to update the ticket with more reasons why you think it was changed by arenanet and why you disagree with the change.

Wilow is as far as I know not a violation of the naming policy (or I would be in trouble cause I have a character called Willow Genini).

So please update your ticket and be persistent, I’m pretty sure it will result in a more likely answer.

If you think you are totally stuck with support and you are running circles or they given you a ‘final’ answer you disagree with then I would advise you to ask an arenanet senior official to look into it. She will always need a 12 digit ticket number.

I was persistent in my original ticket, but decided to give them some time. Now we are 7-8 months later, so I’m bringing it up agin.

In my tickets, I provided a link to a post were people were quoting me, but the name in the quote, and the name of the poster were different (forum name changed, quotes with my account name were not). I guess they didn’t look at it because I could not convince anyone that my name was changed by them, and all I wanted was for them to change it back

(edited by Topher.1684)

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

Have you goten a reply by now?

My account display name was also just changed to this “An oak knob” (Lamest name ever) from my previouus own display name “noobkaka” which means noobcake. Their reason for the change was that it was “offensive”
Why?
Is it offensive because it has “noob” in it? Seriously? It’s in my own name so if anything im calling myself a noob and not anyone else.
This is why im begining to grow a hatred towards Anet.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

It may not have been the “noob” part. “kaka” is slang for poo, which would also violate the naming policy. Some times what we may see as a harmless word may mean something different to another. Anet usually errs on the side of caution and if it could be offensive, they will take action.

An Oak Knob.1275

It may not have been the “noob” part. “kaka” is slang for poo, which would also violate the naming policy. Some times what we may see as a harmless word may mean something different to another. Anet usually errs on the side of caution and if it could be offensive, they will take action.

Comeon man, I play on english servers, kaka meaning poo is spanish. Pretty sure it’s verry verry verry unlikely that some spainaird saw me and was yelling “AAAAAAAAH SO OFFENSIVE ME REPORTO!!!”
No.
This is bullkitten.

Actually, it’s even more unlikely that they even saw it. Because they need to add me to their friendlist to even see my account display name. Or be on the ENGLISH FORUMS to see it. Which is 99% unlikely that they have. So I’m even more convinced that this is bullkitten and that I’ve been reported by some forum troll to just mess with me.

(edited by An Oak Knob.1275)

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

I speak American and I know what the term means. You can try to justify it all you want, but the fact is that your name was offensive and Anet changed it. End of story.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

@An Oak Knob

1) there are people capable of speaking both English and Spanish. Some of these are on the English servers.
2) when you party up with someone, if they mouse over your party picture they can see your achievement points and your account name.
3) many people look at achieve points when they pug to see how much the person has played and to get an idea how likely the person knows what they are doing.
4) therefore if you ever pugged a dungeon or a fractal, its likely they saw your account name in your party icon picture.
5) kaka means dung or (excrement) in Spanish. (actual word was forum filtered)
6) using this term is against TOS and is sufficient to have your account name changed when reported.

An Oak Knob.1275

@An Oak Knob

1) there are people capable of speaking both English and Spanish. Some of these are on the English servers.
2) when you party up with someone, if they mouse over your party picture they can see your achievement points and your account name.
3) many people look at achieve points when they pug to see how much the person has played and to get an idea how likely the person knows what they are doing.
4) therefore if you ever pugged a dungeon or a fractal, its likely they saw your account name in your party icon picture.
5) kaka means dung or (excrement) in Spanish. (actual word was forum filtered)
6) using this term is against TOS and is sufficient to have your account name changed when reported.

Then why didnt they just change it to noobcake. Anything but “An Oak knob”

SandraSolace.7682

That’s because if a name gets changed, they make an anagram of the old name. As yours had no C in it, they couldn’t change it to that.

Some changes have been quite awesome.

(edited by SandraSolace.7682)

An Oak Knob.1275

That’s because if a name gets changed, the mods make an anagram of the old name. As yours had no C in it, they couldn’t change it to that.

Some changes have been quite awesome.

hahaha that’s hilarious, that is just true lazy design.

On blizzards Battle.net I can change my username (Yes my account username) anytime I want to pretty much anything (limited by a profanity filter/word filter). Note I can also do this on steam anytime I want.
I don’t understand the reason to WHY we can’t do that on our guild wars 2 accounts. It’s my username, just ban certain letter combination just like a profanity filter.
Then people can actually just rename themselves as they want without being offfensive because Anet will have a profanity filter for words and letter combinations.

When you remove/ban someones account display name then give that player an option to come up with a new one himself instead of giving the burden of changeing that players account display name to a automatic bot system (Anet sure love automatic bot systems, they use it all the time for everything).

SandraSolace.7682

Yeah well, we all are subject to this if we violate the rules.

You’ll just have to deal with it.

Astral Projections.7320

The reasons they don’t allow people to rename their display name is because of accountability. They don’t want people who scam others or people who are blocked because they were offensive/scammers/stalkers to get around blocks by changing the display name. 

They have also found that people who make offensive character and display names will commonly do so again when given the option. There have been many threads where Gaile has pointed out to that thread’s OP that they made additional offensive character names after being suspended and forced to change. 

Since they know that many people will repeat their errors and because of accountability, they don’t allow people to choose their display name if it’s reported. 

Astral Projections.7320

@Topher

I’m sorry your thread got hijacked. Oak Knob really should have made his own thread with his complaint, not posted on yours.

As to you getting your old display name back, I doubt it. I couldn’t see anything wrong with it and possibly it was changed in error. However because of their accountability policy, once it was changed and most especially since so so much time has gone by, I don’t think there is any chance it will be changed back.

An Oak Knob.1275

The reasons they don’t allow people to rename their display name is because of accountability. They don’t want people who scam others or people who are blocked because they were offensive/scammers/stalkers to get around blocks by changing the display name. 

They have also found that people who make offensive character and display names will commonly do so again when given the option. There have been many threads where Gaile has pointed out to that thread’s OP that they made additional offensive character names after being suspended and forced to change. 

Since they know that many people will repeat their errors and because of accountability, they don’t allow people to choose their display name if it’s reported. 

But I don’t want or intend to have a offensive account name. Noobkaka just means noobcake in my own language, I have used it for a verry long time on the internet, it’s just what I have always gone with.
Anyway I made a ticket about it, asking if they could change it to noobcake or anything other than “An Oak knob” but it must be my choice.
Im currently waiting a reply on the ticket.
Sorry for bumping old thread, but I just don’t think this is fair for me or Topher.

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

Topher’s situation is entirely different than yours.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Posted by: Rabbi Rick.3194

Rabbi Rick.3194

Topher,

No need to open a new ticket. Post your ticket number in the “three day” thread, and I’m sure the lovely Gaile will help you out, especially since your ticket is so old.

Knob,
I’m curious, just what language do you speak that the word you used after noob means cake. You might have been better off trying to argue that you were naming your account after a tropical bird. However, No one is buying it. The word is, in its most common usage, against the ToS, and as such, you do not get the privilege of renaming your account to a name of your choice. Arenanet is far less tolerant of uncivil behavior, for which I am grateful. As Gaile says very often, “in the future, choose wisely.”

Just my two coppers worth,

Rabbi Rick
Proud member of the Ring of 1000

Posted by: Illumine Sparkler.6019

Illumine Sparkler.6019

30 seconds on google and I found the word “wilo” with 2 negative things connected to it, maybe someone found them offensive and thought you name was just that with an extra letter on the end so reported and someone at anet agreed.

Like a lot of these things anet don’t go through checking every name ever made, most will only get picked up when reported, I personally wouldn’t have changed it myself but anet are the ones that set and enforce the rules, which we have to abide by.

Leader of GOLD (Guardians Of Lost Deities)
Whiteside Ridge server
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

There are thousands of languages on the world, I am sure almost any word or a variation of it is offensive in some language.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

An Oak Knob.1275

Topher,

No need to open a new ticket. Post your ticket number in the “three day” thread, and I’m sure the lovely Gaile will help you out, especially since your ticket is so old.

Knob,
I’m curious, just what language do you speak that the word you used after noob means cake. You might have been better off trying to argue that you were naming your account after a tropical bird. However, No one is buying it. The word is, in its most common usage, against the ToS, and as such, you do not get the privilege of renaming your account to a name of your choice. Arenanet is far less tolerant of uncivil behavior, for which I am grateful. As Gaile says very often, “in the future, choose wisely.”

Just my two coppers worth,

swedish.

An Oak Knob.1275

There are thousands of languages on the world, I am sure almost any word or a variation of it is offensive in some language.

Why does my name need to be changed when I play on a english server where the second half of my display name means gibberish (in context and in word depending on language of the perceiver) to a english person or anyone else on that english server.

Any other swedish person will understand it and will just ignore it because it’s just a random display name to them, and any other danish or Norweigan guy will also be able to guess what kaka means because our three languages are related.

The excuse to change my display name because the second half of it MAY be offensive to SOMEONE who happened to be spanish who happened to see it on the english forums or on the server that I play which is english is not a good excuse.
I don’t think the change was neccecary, if Anet want to absolutely go with a change then for gods sake they should send me (their costumer and the guy that plays their game) a mail telling me that they have given me the option to change my account name to whatever I want if they approve it I can use it, if I don’t respond to the option in time they will change it regardless to something that they perceive can’t possibly be offensive.

Also we gamers are not nice costumers, we ask for a lot and many game developers just take the easy road of a automative response from a automative system (a bot).

I think my display name was deffintly just a automative response from someone sending a (or several) report. Though ofcourse noone at account support would admit that.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

All it takes is for one single person to report you, and your report ticket goes into a queue for an in-game mod to review it. Sure this is an English game, but it doesn’t mean only Americans play. Heck, most high school kids are required to learn a second language, so it’s highly possible a good portion of the game population understood what your name meant.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t think you realize how prevalent Spanish is in America. Nor that many words from other languages become part of our own. The spelling is different, but that word is quite well-known throughout the southern half of the US. And yes, it does mean ‘number 2’.

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Closing this thread as it is a derail from the original poster’s issue. Since you already have a ticket on this issue, please do not create a new thread. Your ticket received an update on Saturday, so please be patient.