Account suspended - a question of names!

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Umrae.5124

Umrae.5124

So yesterday I was kicked from the game, I was sure it’s a normal disconnection, so I try to log back in and whats what I see:

“Your Guild Wars 2 account suspended for use of an unacepptable name in violation of the User Agreement and Rules of Conduct.
Access will be restored in approximately 71 hours.”

So I started thinking, which of my names is unacepptable!
Maybe someone can shed some light on this, this is a list of my character names:

Umrae Lullaby
Umrae Symphony
Umrae Harmony
Umrae Rain
Umrae Storm
Umrae Spectrum
Umrae Delirium
Umrae Paws
Umrae Hysteria

and the 2 guilds I’ve created

Sensorium [SnM]
Dragons And Dragqueens [Fab]

My first though was the SnM part, so I’ve asked my guildies over skype to check if anythign was changed – it wasn’t. So I guess thats not it.

Dragqueens? Considering that we have a lot of homosexual story characters I highly doubt that a comedy act proffesion could be the reason of a suspension (considering its a bank guild that I visit once a month (if even) ).

My character names? I honesty don’t see which one could be unacepptable or offensive in any way!

The guilds and the characters have over half a year already, some of them are up since first day of headstart.

Any thoughs on this?

I did submit a ticket (request #33715) but so far no response to it!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I’m not familiar with the various D&D novels so pardon my ignorance. Is Umrae a drow character? I google search is showing a very high popularity of the name Umrae in relation to drow. If so it might have run afoul of the “Reference names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials, or products” clause in the naming restrictions.

You can always submit a ticket and ask for a detail explanation.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Umrae.5124

Umrae isn’t a drow character. It means faithfull in drowish.
So I’ve used a word of that language.

Its also a name used in 2 books of the “War of the Spider Queen” serie, names of minor plot characters. That appear twice in the whoel serie and die right after they were used, kinda “NPC” names.

But if that would be taken as “Reference names of copyrighted or trademarked characters, materials, or products” then every single Jon Snow, Deanerys, Harry Potter, Elrond or any name in elvish from LOTR should also be suspended for an unacepptable name!
The nickname Umrae has been with me also in GW1, so I’m using it for over 4 years now with anet, and I’ve used it before in different games, it never coused any issues.

I did submit a ticket and waiting for an explanation.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Single players don’t get suspended for a disallowed guildname, but guilds get disbanded afaik.

The issue with copyrighted names is not that Anet wants all the Elronds, Harry Potters, etc to be suspended, but they need to do so IF anyone reports them for being a copy right violation. that is how the law is. The fact that I have a Silvari called Laiss Ranique (Laiss is Lotr elvish for tree) means I know I’m taking a risk. But bottom line is that IF there is a copyright complaint bout a characters name, they have to take action.

But we are all speculating.

My advise to you is to file a support ticket as soon as possible and simply ask them. If it is ‘Umrae’ that is the issue ask them to action all your accounts names and your account name itself at once. It happened that people had a theme like yours and got actioned several times with increasing account marks as a result. They have handled that in the past by actioning them all at once on the accountsowners request (resulting in only one accountmark).

If it is some other reason it will be clear to you as well when you got a response from support.

It can also be that support will answer you that they make a mistake and they reinstate you earlier.

It might be possible to bet able to login and change your character name before you got an answer from support. I strongly advise you to not do so if you don’t know what the reason was in the first place, but wait for support to answer you so you dont make the same mistake twice on accident.

Good luck

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

(edited by mercury ranique.2170)

Umrae.5124

Thank you a lot for the feedback mercury ranique.

I will wait for their response of my first ticket so I don’t spam them and go on from there

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I can’t imagine them suspending for copyright issues for words in a made up language or for minor characters in a book. I don’t think you can copyright a language for one thing. Names of particularly famous characters maybe, but not words from a language. I know of one frequent forum poster who has an account name with a famous character name who has obviously never had to change it so even that’s not likely.

Maybe you were sanctioned by accident. That has happened before. Or maybe it has a meaning in another language. But I agree, wait for support to tell you what’s wrong.

Umrae.5124

Maybe you were sanctioned by accident.

If thats the case I really hope they can get to my ticket quickly.

Had some nice gaming plans for the weekend and all collapsed suddenly.

Posted by: ShadyNZL.9018

ShadyNZL.9018

9 characters – that’s impressive…nice names too btw.

Umrae.5124

9 characters – that’s impressive…nice names too btw.

Hahaha thank you. But lets stay in the topic

Still waiting for a reply to my ticket. Since my suspension will be down within 24 hours I am only curious now of the reason why it happend.

Astral Projections.7320

That’s another odd thing. When someone has an offending name, the first time is is a forced name change only. There is no suspension. When the person first tries to log on, he gets a message that the character must have a name change before he can play. He can change it and then log on. It’s only after that first time, when a person reoffends by picking another offending name, that the 72 hour suspension happens.

And another thing, really, you should have gotten an initial response within 24 hours of sending the ticket. Sometimes it’s sent off the a spam or junk folder. Did you check all your folders just in case their email went in there?

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Umrae.5124

That’s another odd thing. When someone has an offending name, the first time is is a forced name change only. There is no suspension. When the person first tries to log on, he gets a message that the character must have a name change before he can play. He can change it and then log on. It’s only after that first time, when a person reoffends by picking another offending name, that the 72 hour suspension happens.

And another thing, really, you should have gotten an initial response within 24 hours of sending the ticket. Sometimes it’s sent off the a spam or junk folder. Did you check all your folders just in case their email went in there?

I’ve never gotten a msg bout changing any of my names nor that it was offensive. Yet the msg when I try to log in says “… suspended for use of an unacepptable name…”.

And yes, I always check all the folders when I check my e-mail.

Astral Projections.7320

Well, it’s Monday morning right now for Gaile, about 8:30AM at the moment. She most commonly posts in the afternoon sometime. She doesn’t comment on all threads but I hope she takes a look at your case as you’ve seem to have been wrongly suspended, and have been very calm and polite about it.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Umrae.5124

Beein mean and angry never solved any issue

If I deserved the suspension I’ll take all of it without a word of complaint!

If it was made by mistake, well everyone makes mistakes, can’t blaime them for it, since its a huge community and its hard to keep track of everything and everyone all the time.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Umrae — I have no idea why you were blocked, and you should not have been. The character was uncensored but the suspension was not lifted, for which I apologize.

You should be good to go now and again, I’m sorry for this mistake and thank you for bringing it to our attention. (I also responded to your ticket, just to tidy things up completely. )

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Umrae.5124

Thank you very much <3

Posted by: Jory.9172

Jory.9172

That is great that the issue is resolved, but is anyone being held accountable for this? If only to enlighten them on the proper procedures so as to not have something similar occur again.

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

I have no idea why you were banned, dude. They ban people for the most miniscule, unimportant and smallest of things.

EDIT: This also makes me wonder how many people got banned like this but didn’t bother posting on the forum and just took the hit…

Are you Shpongled?

(edited by Shpongle.6025)

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

That is great that the issue is resolved, but is anyone being held accountable for this? If only to enlighten them on the proper procedures so as to not have something similar occur again.

Of course not. It sais in the Terms of Agreement and Rules of Conduct that they can do whatever they want with your account. It’s not even your account, it’s their account and their game, you are just renting it. Read the TOA and ROC and you will see that they can do as they please and whatever they want and you can do nothing about it.

FYI nobody at Arena will get reprimanded for this. If they permaban someone, worst comes to worst the person buys a new game and they make more money. They don’t care about us, maaaan.

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

An GM responsable doesnt do his job on a personal title but he does his job in the name off Arenanet. So if he made a mistake, then Arenanet made a mistake. Another person (Gayle) has appologized in the name off Arenanet. So Arenanet made a mistake, they corrected that mistake and appologized for that mistake. So for that they did what they can. I’m pretty sure that anet has internal quality checks and employee permance monitors. If an employee isn’t functioning to the right standards on a structural base I’m also sure they will help this employee with additional training or other measures to solve this. But thats an arenanet internal bussiness. Not something we should be concerned about.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!