Advice for comp running hot on low settings

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I’m running Windows 7 64-bit, with a 3.0 GHz dual-core and a GTX 560 (I think — have to check the box to be certain on that) graphics card.

I have my settings pretty much as low as they can go. I updated my drivers recently (Nvidia) and it’s possible it’s doing some overriding of the game settings, making the performance cost higher. I can check that pretty easily and my computer could probably use a dusting, BUT…

Every so often, I read something about how GW2 uses outdated software and even high-end machines can’t get the most out of it.

So I wanted to ask around and see if there’s anything I can do to reduce the stress on my machine, short of running the game on such low settings that it’s butt ugly to look at. I’ve been thinking about upgrading my machine for a while, but I’m in no rush to drop the cash on upgrades and I’d prefer if I can at least get my machine to sound less like it’s killing itself while it’s running the game.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

Your dual core CPU is the problem , even more so if it is an AMD dual core. A GTX 560 is plenty for this game.

My advice is to get an i5 or i7 unlocked CPU if you can , and overclock to 4.0Ghz or more.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

Labjax.2465

Your dual core CPU is the problem , even more so if it is an AMD dual core. A GTX 560 is plenty for this game.

My advice is to get an i5 or i7 unlocked CPU if you can , and overclock to 4.0Ghz or more.

Ok, thanks. I take it the main benefit of that would be taking pressure off background processes, such as the running of Windows itself, to put the sufficient amount into the game?

Also, I haven’t researched power costs in ages. Do you know if the power draw for a higher core CPU is significantly more? I can’t remember what the power on my current one is off-hand, but I know it’s not high end. I’m thinking I may need to upgrade my power supply in the process.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

Before you go out shopping for a CPU, please consider if you want to keep your motherboard and possibly even the RAM. A CPU has a socket type, and certain motherboards have supported socket types to match that CPU. Think of it like how a triangle won’t normally fit into a circle. Has to be compatible parts. Easy to work out, and in fact, some websites make it super easy to see what works with what.

Also highly doubt AMD and Intel mix. Can’t have an Intel CPU into an AMD board, and you can’t have an AMD CPU into an Intel board. It just doesn’t work. It’s like crossing the streams in ghost busters.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

(edited by Loli Ruri.8307)

Posted by: Infusion.7149

Infusion.7149

Labjax, you should list what you have now in detail.

Motherboard: socket, model, brand?
Processor: socket, model, brand?
CPU cooler & thermal paste: if overclocked
RAM: type (DDR2/DDR3/DDR4), speed? , timing?
HDD/SSD: brand and model (if SSD), capacity, speed & cache (if HDD)
Graphics card : GTX 560 , brand , is it overclocked?
PSU: wattage, power connectors , is it a reputable brand where the wattage and amperage on the +12V is adequate
Case: only important if you are buying a long graphics card
OS: Only important if you are using anything non 64-bit and older than Windows 7

How much are you willing to spend before taxes?

I’ve run GW2 on a dual core (with hyperthreading) Haswell ultrabook before. I don’t recommend pumping up the settings if you use a dual core.

Desolation (EU) → Yak’s Bend (US)
In your backline: Elementalist+Mesmer+Necromancer

(edited by Infusion.7149)

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

LOL I read “running hot” and thought this thread was about computer temperatures.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Labjax.2465

Before you go out shopping for a CPU, please consider if you want to keep your motherboard and possibly even the RAM. A CPU has a socket type, and certain motherboards have supported socket types to match that CPU. Think of it like how a triangle won’t normally fit into a circle. Has to be compatible parts. Easy to work out, and in fact, some websites make it super easy to see what works with what.

Good point.

Honestly, that’s the main reason I’ve been reluctant to shop for upgrades in the first place. Cause I know one upgrade can lead to another. But I’ve had this comp for like 5-7 years now and only ever upgraded the graphics card. It’s reaching the point where if I don’t upgrade, with all the intense gaming I do, I could wind up killing the thing anyway.

I’m kinda amazed at how well it’s held up tbh (of course, now I’ve gone and jinxed myself :P).

Labjax, you should list what you have now in detail.

Motherboard: socket, model, brand?
Processor: socket, model, brand?
CPU cooler & thermal paste: if overclocked
RAM: type (DDR2/DDR3/DDR4), speed? , timing?
HDD/SSD: brand and model (if SSD), capacity, speed & cache (if HDD)
Graphics card : GTX 560 , brand , is it overclocked?
PSU: wattage, power connectors , is it a reputable brand where the wattage and amperage on the +12V is adequate
Case: only important if you are buying a long graphics card
OS: Only important if you are using anything non 64-bit and older than Windows 7

How much are you willing to spend before taxes?

I’ve run GW2 on a dual core (with hyperthreading) Haswell ultrabook before. I don’t recommend pumping up the settings if you use a dual core.

I will look into the details when I get some time for it.

LOL I read “running hot” and thought this thread was about computer temperatures.

It is though? I mean, partly anyway. Like my machine does get really hot when running the game most of the time, even on low settings.

Or words to that effect.

Chaba.5410

It is though? I mean, partly anyway. Like my machine does get really hot when running the game most of the time, even on low settings.

Well, assuming you are performing some basic monthly maintenance of cleaning dust out of your computer case, you might have some bad fans or inadequate cooling in general.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs

Labjax.2465

Well, assuming you are performing some basic monthly maintenance of cleaning dust out of your computer case, you might have some bad fans or inadequate cooling in general.

Well like I said in the OP, my computer could probably use a dusting. And yeah, the fans could, plausibly, be inadequate, but given some of the things I’ve heard about GW2 specifically, I wanted to ascertain if there’s more to it than that.

As it is, I’m getting the sense from this thread that my CPU is being asked to do more at once than its hardware capabilities were intended for. Which could explain the computer temp, I would think.

I mean, it’s not like I can’t run the game. It just sounds like, and the temp feels like, I’m killing my machine when I do.

Or words to that effect.

Chaba.5410

I went through some overheating issues with a laptop a few years ago. Temperature issues are not caused by whether a game is “taxing” on your system. An adequately cooled machine that is being asked to do more from the software is not going to cause overheating. All that happens with software like that is the software runs slow. Overheating is a hardware issue.

Chaba Tangnu