Advice: laptop for WvW

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Bonobo.1470

Bonobo.1470

Hi!

My Asuran characters complain that they always get killed in WvW because my laptop is hardly able to produce decent framerates (it is very good in causing extreme
heat though)

I am hoping that one of you is able to help me with some advice on purchasing a new
laptop that is able to get good framerates in zerg fights on low or medium settings.

Important to mention is, that I am European, so I am not able to buy at NewEgg or any
other American companies.

Size or brand of the laptop doesn’t matter, as long as it is quality made and doesn’t
transform into an oven while playing

My budget is around 1000 euro’s, which will get me models from Asus with gtx 850m, or Lenovo with gtx 860m. Also MSI and Alienware are in the picture, but they are a little bit more expensive.

It would be nice to hear from someone who actually owns a laptop that is capable
of doing the things I want.

Thx in advance for any reactions

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

Asus and Lenovo both are very good in notebooks. MSI is new only for a few years since 2004.

Don’t buy Alienware… overpriced.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

Bonobo.1470

Asus and Lenovo both are very good in notebooks. MSI is new only for a few years since 2004.

Don’t buy Alienware… overpriced.

Well, I don’t want a debate on whether Alienware is overpriced. There are already enough flamewars on the internet about it

The only thing I want to know is, which laptop will give me around 30 fps on low or med settings in large WvW zergs without getting third degree burning wounds from overheating

DJRiful.3749

A desktop.

Link in my spec sometime drops FPS down low 30fps with 50 players on my screens. All laptop will get hot no matter. Don’t play on your lap.

Get a laptop cooler underneath it.

I don’t think any laptop will keep 30FPS in large wvw. Most importantly choose the best CPU first available. Preferably Core i7 since laptop CPU are 20-40% slower than Core i7 desktop.

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

(edited by DJRiful.3749)

Bonobo.1470

A desktop.

Link in my spec sometime drops FPS down low 30fps with 50 players on my screens. All laptop will get hot no matter. Don’t play on your lap.

Get a laptop cooler underneath it.

I don’t think any laptop will keep 30FPS in large wvw. Most importantly choose the best CPU first available. Preferably Core i7 since laptop CPU are 20-40% slower than Core i7 desktop.

Ok, so you have a Nvidia Titan (cheapest card overhere is 900 euro’s/ 1050 dollars) and you still get below 30 fps on low graphics in large zergs? Basically you are saying that it is impossible to get a laptop that is capable of decent WvW?

Posted by: Ettanin.8271

Ettanin.8271

Ok, so you have a Nvidia Titan (cheapest card overhere is 900 euro’s/ 1050 dollars) and you still get below 30 fps on low graphics in large zergs? Basically you are saying that it is impossible to get a laptop that is capable of decent WvW?

GW2 is CPU-Limited due to bad thread-focused programming (it has some multithreading, but not enough). It doesn’t matter if you have a GPU for 1337€/USD/Whatever_Currency_In_The_World if you still need a Tianhe-II to reach 60 FPS in zergs + full details.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Any laptop with decent i5 and 1GB DDR5 will do just fine.
By fine I mean medium settings.

Bonobo.1470

My current laptop gets a whopping 13 fps (everything on low) when I stand still in a borderland. When I encounter a zerg, it drops down to 2fps and I am barely able to use skills. In normal gameplay I get around 20 fps, which worked fine for me most of the times.

Now I want something better than that. Being able to move around in zerg fights without running into walls or go from 18k health to death in 1 second because I am not able to see any marks on the floor or being able to use a healing skill.

Like I said in my opening post, I have 1000 euros to spend on a laptop (a desktop is no option since I need the mobility), if you are all saying that a better laptop will give hardly improvements on semi-smooth gameplay in WvW, it is useless for me to spend that kind of money.

I was hoping to find someone who actually has a recent laptop that is able to get good gameplay in WvW.

Posted by: Ettanin.8271

Ettanin.8271

Laptop CPUs in contrast to Desktop CPUs are already throttled down due to heat specs. You simply can’t get an acceptable FPS on a laptop for zerging.

DJRiful.3749

Decent ones are ~$1800+ USD. Otherwise most will run 30-40 FPS in cities. WvW will drop low 17-20s unless you lower your resolution by half.

So a drop of $1000-1500, don’t except a huge differences.

My case I only play games at home, I have MacBook Pro’10 and Surface Pro 2 for travel.

Bonobo.1470

One last try, just to make sure

If I were to get an Asus laptop i7 (2,4ghz) with a GTX 850m videocard, I wouldn’t be able to get 20-30 fps in large battles on 1024×768 with everything on low?

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

IF, you are hellbent on getting a gaming laptop for WVW and demand high FPS readings in zerg fights like what you describe, the price is almost your soul. Yes, you will be a ginger after purchase.

What’s the main focus of the laptop? The Intel i7 4940XM Extreme Edition mobile processor. These units can be easily overclocked and the laptop they ship in is usually ready for such things, depending on the brand. The come clocked base line at 3.1 GHz and will turbo up to 3.7, 3.8, 3.9, or 4.0 GHz, depending on how many cores are used. Of course, this is how I know it with my Asus G75VX’s i7 3630QM.

Despite all of the hate the following company that I’m about to say receives, there are a very low sellers I would even think of recommending beyond Alienware. It doesn’t matter if they are overpriced. In fact, for what you get out of their laptops, they’re not overpriced. They come fully loaded no matter what you buy. It’s not all hardware, you know. Alienware’s “Alienware 18” is configurable to ship with two GTX 880M 4/8GB cards in SLI and available with an i7 4940XM quad core Extreme Edition processor. I’m not sure if the Alienware 17(?) the one below that with single GPU is available with the 4940XM.

[Fun fact: The i7 4940XM is the same silicon die as what’s found in the 4770K]

The cooling solution for the Alienware 18 is three fans. 2 for the graphics cards and one dedicated to the CPU. It’s in no way quiet if you’re intolerable of noise, but the performance of this sucker is guaranteed. It’s basically like having a gaming tower with an i7 4770K and two slightly overclocked GTX 680s and 16-32 GB of DDR3. It’s an absolute monster. I would be shocked if it didn’t come with tools for a user to overclock but there may be overclock on request options from the factory. Otherwise there is Intel’s nifty “Intel Extreme Tuning Utility” program or something of that sort. I downloaded it to see if my i7 3630QM in the Asus laptop of mine was overclockable considering the cooling solution keeps it below 35 degrees Celsius the entire time.

Right well I know I’m making the Alienware laptop sound glorious here but it truly is. If I wanted a desktop replacement gaming laptop with desktop grade power, I wouldn’t look anywhere else.

But beyond this laptop and any other laptop packing a superpowered i7 Extreme Edition processor, there’s not a chance of getting 30 FPS in WVW in Guild Wars 2 with super zerg fights. You might be able to with the latest, greatest Extreme i7 clocked to 5+ GHz.

[Edit:]

The Asus laptop that you just asked about, Bonobo, would maybe get up to 20 FPS or just a little higher. The i7 4700MQ processor will turbo up to 3.4 GHz but for four core turbo it’ll reach 3.2 GHz. The 850M Maxwell card can power all of the in game details on max settings easily of course but at the point of where there’s so many things going on it turns into a CPU stressing bench. Now with all settings on low and such an awful resolution, I’d wager it’ll get higher than 25 FPS, maybe over 30 FPS but I wouldn’t get my hopes up. Zerg fights require epic amounts of power.

(edited by Avelos.6798)

Posted by: Kamata.5762

Kamata.5762

Bonobo, dont listen to these people. Theyre laptop haters. I have a gtx 860m and I get 30-40 fps on ultra in wvw battles. That asus youre going to buy shouldnt much worse than mine.

Oh and my laptop was 1050 euro’s.

My config:
i7 4710 mq
8g ram
GTX 860m 2gb maxwell

Oh and I recommend the Lenovo Y50. Look it up on youtube.

(edited by Kamata.5762)

Avelos.6798

We’re not laptop haters. We’re laying out the facts based on user experiences and laying them out with the worst scenarios. Get your facts straight, thanks.

Kamata.5762

Im gaming on a laptop. and getting the fps you all say is impossible. ON ULTRA AND 1080P

Get your facts straight. Thanks.

Avelos.6798

That so? Try Tier 1 WVW. 12 and lower FPS of pure hatred in zerg fights on most laptops.

Kamata.5762

Fort Aspenwood here. 30-40 fps. Try again.

At worst I have maybe 25-30 fps.

Kamata.5762

BTW, laptops are not as weak as a year ago. They got a significant upgrade since last year.

Avelos.6798

A tier 2 fighter jumping into a Tier 1 fight would be like a person living out in the middle of nowhere entering a large city. That FPS you’re describing is clearly not a zerg fight.

The only thing laptops got upgraded with was Haswell’s low power idle state and only recently Maxwell GPUs. The rest is GeForce 600M refreshes. Oh and AMD Radeon HD 7000M, 8000M, M290X. All refreshes of the base 7000M.

Kamata.5762

Well, believe it or not. Im enjoying my fps you should google or youtube my specs and see it for yourself.

Avelos.6798

Well if you’re enjoying it then what’s the point of arguing it? I’d rather explain to an individual what he’d be looking at with what hardware he’s asking about than just saying “Oh yeah you’ll be fine it’ll be a piece of cake” and get his hopes up only to be potentially disappointed with the purchase that he may or may not be able to even return, if said user would want to.

Informational responses are the best.

Kamata.5762

Look at my post. Informed of him of a laptop with my experience on it.

Bonobo.1470

Thx all for the input. Like I stated above, I am running now at an aweful resolution in low detail, and it doesn’t bother me. The only thing that bothers me, is that I am not able to fight in a decent way because I lack the fps. I don’t even want to run WvW in high or ultra detail. I am not looking for exceptional high framerates. All I want is to be able to participate in fights and not be the fool who goes down all the time because of skill lagg or extreme low fps.

I am on a tier 1 server and yes, it gets hectic with a lot going on at times, but even with my core 2 duo @ 2.1 ghz and Mobility radeon HD 4570 I do fine in most smaller fights. Only in 20+ zerg fights, I quickly lose fps. The thing I wanted to know is,
whether a new laptop could solve that problem for me. Maybe I wasn’t clear in my
opening post about it.

Kamata.5762

Then youre all good with your laptop of choice.

Kamata.5762

One last try, just to make sure

If I were to get an Asus laptop i7 (2,4ghz) with a GTX 850m videocard, I wouldn’t be able to get 20-30 fps in large battles on 1024×768 with everything on low?

Youre gonna get even more fps than that.