Another DDOS attack?

Another DDOS attack?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

Here we go again?

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Jinroh.4251

Jinroh.4251

Apparently it’s a group called LizardSquad. Can something be done about these guys already? Seems like the come every few months and it’s very irritating when they do.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

I don’t quite understand why any group would really want to attack ArenaNet though. It’s not like they are an “evil” corporation. They provide two games, Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, which does not have a subscription fee, does not force-bait you into the cash shop and which are overall pretty decent games. Their support team has also been absolutely stellar every time I’ve had to contact them too, with all of my cases being generally resolved within 3-5 hours from when I submitted the inquiry. The handling times are amazing.

So.. why exactly would anyone want to harass them? I’ve been frustrated by design choices here and there, by some.. what I consider stupid directions taken now and again, but I don’t see how they’ve done anything that should be reason for a large-scale DDoS attack (—not that there ever is).

If some group(s) are going around just doing DDoS attacks for the fun of it, that’s just.. well, sad. You might want to find some other purpose in your life. You, the individual in such a group is never going to be famous for it. Nobody outside your overall little circle of contacts are going to know what you’ve done, unless you get caught, which you wouldn’t want to be. It’s basically never going to get you laid. And let’s face it, that’s the purpose of life right there. Getting laid. Yeah, don’t quite get the appeal.

If it floats their boat, whatever.. I can always wait until they tire of it. It doesn’t make me angry, I just feel sad on their behalf. It’s not like they can keep it going for years on end anyways, that’d result in them getting caught. With all the lawsuit fees involved in loss of revenue, obstruction of services, etc., etc., that comes with it.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Same data center where WildStar is hosted from. This could be an attack on that game and we are collateral damage.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

Yeah looks like it’s these kittening lizards (I typed that)

Edit: Redacted link to avoid potentially adding to their botnet by users clicking on Twitter links. Better safe than sorry.

The kid who did the last one (chF) just got his twitter back…don’t know if it’s connected or what. Anyway I guess we just wait till they get bored.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

(edited by Wasbunny.6531)

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: FrancisYorkMorgan.9524

FrancisYorkMorgan.9524

Just like most hackers they just want to hack because they get a power trip from it. It makes them feel like they have power and control over anything and they can do as they please. LizardSquad is even verbally calling out the FBI on Twitter. All I can say is good luck with that. Bunch of idiots.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

aaand.. they are doing it again… :/

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

DDOsing what? everything connected to gw2? or just wvw, pve or pvp. I just got kicked out of game (and forums) for 10 min. (internet worked fine). Is that result of DDOS attack?

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Niteraven.1372

Niteraven.1372

Obviously this game is completely unplayable anymore. Time to bail. So sad.

“When I was your age, progeny, we used 20 sided dice.. and we LIKED it!!!” ~~ Berddi

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Just like most hackers they just want to hack because they get a power trip from it. It makes them feel like they have power and control over anything and they can do as they please. LizardSquad is even verbally calling out the FBI on Twitter. All I can say is good luck with that. Bunch of idiots.

Either the FBI doesn’t care or they can’t do anything about it. These attacks happen all the time, but when was the last time you heard about an arrest?

Gotta track them down yourself if you want something done about it.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Rezident.6195

Rezident.6195

This is why ISP’s want to get rid of net neutrality, so they can charge customer’s extra for better access to web services maybe even online games. Hacker’s DDoS sites and servers so we’re supposed to pick up the extra fees cause internet service providers do not want to police hackers.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

So.. why exactly would anyone want to harass them?

Upcoming Warrior/GS nerf?

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Angyles.5784

Angyles.5784

DDOsing what? everything connected to gw2? or just wvw, pve or pvp. I just got kicked out of game (and forums) for 10 min. (internet worked fine). Is that result of DDOS attack?

Yes, that is the result of the attack. It stops you from connecting, or at least times you out.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Sonic.9783

Sonic.9783

Just sad that ArenaNet refuses to even reply to these threads.

Guild leader of [WvW] We Vanquish Worlds

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

What exactly would you have them say? “We are wasting time letting you know about a current DDOS attack rather than attempting to fix the problem….”

If they are under a DDOS attack, it is likely you CAN NOT get to this forum….

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Niteraven.1372

Niteraven.1372

I’m glad I’m not the only one who is thoroughly disgusted. I was starting to think I was alone.

“When I was your age, progeny, we used 20 sided dice.. and we LIKED it!!!” ~~ Berddi

Another DDOS attack?

Sonic.9783

What exactly would you have them say? “We are wasting time letting you know about a current DDOS attack rather than attempting to fix the problem….”

Yeah.. because they are clearly fixing the problem, right? They’ve been getting ddossed for about 4 days straight now without even running a single update. Whilst other games, have already done so.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: knives.6132

knives.6132

If you’re ANet, what would you have said? Will it do any good in the first place? What would have you done? Will the information you give change/fix anything that the players are experiencing?

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Yutaka Matsushige.1987

Yutaka Matsushige.1987

the forum is not working for about 10 minutes, just to throw out the game 2 times 3 people from my group in a fractal with “lost connection login server” error

Another DDOS attack?

knives.6132

Yeah.. because they are clearly fixing the problem, right? They’ve been getting ddossed for about 4 days straight now without even running a single update. Whilst other games, have already done so.

I don’t think a we’ll see an update on our end – you see, it’s not the client that’s experiencing the flooding, it’s their servers. Updates will be done on the servers, and we’re likely NOT to see it.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Cannadubh.9148

Cannadubh.9148

Honestly, a lot of bigger ISP’s don’t track the attacks across their networks unless there’s a warrant / subpoena / NSL request.
It isn’t really due to apathy though, they don’t want to have to report it to the FCC and FBI. This is mainly due to them not wanting to make the investment commitment to keep software and security current – think of the SSL exploit from some months back as an example.
Tracing attacks like this from the target end is more difficult than from the network side, but you have to get the ISP’s on board to help, and a LOT of them have a policy of number of complaints – if there’s not enough of their customers complaining, then it’s obviously not a problem on “their” network.

Another DDOS attack?

Sonic.9783

I don’t think a we’ll see an update on our end – you see, it’s not the client that’s experiencing the flooding, it’s their servers. Updates will be done on the servers, and we’re likely NOT to see it.

You do see them in the end, when the ddos attacks stop obviously.. Every single game that they have been ddosed over the past week have posted at least ONE updates on twitter or facebook or whatsoever to let their actual players know, “You know what guys we’ve updated our security systems to attempt to prevent the attacks”.

Another DDOS attack?

knives.6132

You do see them in the end, when the ddos attacks stop obviously.. Every single game that they have been ddosed over the past week have posted at least ONE updates on twitter or facebook or whatsoever to let their actual players know, “You know what guys we’ve updated our security systems to attempt to prevent the attacks”.

Ah jesus I misunderstood your post. I thought you’re referring to an update – as in like a patch where the client downloads stuff.

My bad mate, sorry.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: tovadaun.6304

tovadaun.6304

If LizardSquad has been harassing ANnet more than once I’d hope they would -not- send out a post to the general public once they’ve gotten all they’re hatches battened down. It’s just a big juicy steak being waved saying “here’s a new test, come break into us again”.
There’s many ways for these types of attacks to be sent out. Just because they’ve protected form one or two, doesn’t mean there aren’t more to be launched.

Kitta the Conjurer, Guardian- At Your Service- Yak’s Bend
Stuff! Stuffy stuff stuff stuff!!

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: DarkusTheFirst.6890

DarkusTheFirst.6890

The solution is both very complex, yet very simple.

You wish to stop a group of this nature? You have to remove the line of command. Whoever is coordinating the group needs to be discovered.

IE anyone with technical know-how and the time looking into things to perhaps get everyone some information on these ‘lizards’ will let us get somewhere.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Cannadubh.9148

Cannadubh.9148

The solution is both very complex, yet very simple.

You wish to stop a group of this nature? You have to remove the line of command. Whoever is coordinating the group needs to be discovered.

IE anyone with technical know-how and the time looking into things to perhaps get everyone some information on these ‘lizards’ will let us get somewhere.

Very true, but anyone that does go snooping will need to be careful as well.
If the boast about taking down ic3.gov and the public FBI portal were more than just a brag, then the authorities WILL take it seriously and respond.
Probably in a saurian manner and using the bigger hammer method, but they will respond.
Unfortunately, then any non-official tracing will likely get that person wrapped up in the same mess.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

The problem is that this is coming from a Botnet. So even if the FBI were to handle the few users that control that botnet (or group) that group can just hand the botnet + tools to another malicious group to continue their work.

and shutting down a botnet is no easy task, as it usually involves 100’s of 1000’s of infected PCs across the world and in some places that the US cannot legally touch.

I kinda wish the US had a edge continent firewall that could respond to DoS attacks and block the IP block that is contained in XYZ attack. That would solve 90% of these issues and invalidate even having a botnet. Sure the Transport from the US to other countries would still take a hit, but the transport IN the US would be unaffected.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

DDOS attack during middle of Tequatl, yay. 2x DDOS in 4 hours.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

Kittening lizards are back…

Edit: Redacted link to avoid potentially adding to their botnet by users clicking on Twitter links. Better safe than sorry.

Got to hand it to ArenaNet though…they are back up after only a couple minutes (some servers go down for hours). They’re doing something right for sure.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

(edited by Wasbunny.6531)

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Umbarde.1437

Umbarde.1437

They really need lives these people, but going a great job arena net, i probably be panicking

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Menzies The Heretic.3415

Menzies The Heretic.3415

Kittening lizards are back…
https://twitter.com/linkblavlabla

Got to hand it to ArenaNet though…they are back up after only a couple minutes (some servers go down for hours). They’re doing something right for sure.

Stop linking it, don’t give them their fame

* Twitch – Mênzîes – Mesmer pvp
* YouTube – Fun, guides and gameplay

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Maze.3825

Maze.3825

http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/ddos-protection-firm-black-lotus-acquires-web-host-serverorigin

I suspect creating ones own data center might not be applicable seeing how it’s approximately 1billion dollars. Some claim that entering into a cooperative networked-cloud might really be a feasible method too for major ddos protection. I wonder if it’s still too pricey for Anet.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Yeah guess they are upset about the Blix fix incoming.. ….so they wanna DNS the game again… could be a long slow evening in GW2 land

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: jebo.2461

jebo.2461

which does not have a subscription fee, does not force-bait you into the cash shop

We must be playing different games then.

In mine we got a MICROSCOPIC bank (shared with all the 5 character slots available) where I can’t even store two full different sets of gear without having to cough up money.

(edited by jebo.2461)

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I don’t know what game you’re playing, but I’m playing Guild Wars 2, currently having 8 bank tabs and never having paid anything beyond buying the game itself.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Malthurius.6870

Malthurius.6870

which does not have a subscription fee, does not force-bait you into the cash shop

In mine we got a MICROSCOPIC bank (shared with all the 5 character slots available) where I can’t even store two full different sets of gear without having to cough up money.

Could be worse, you could have to store all your crafting mats, pets, skins, and dungeon tokens (like you used to) in there.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Honestly, don’t be a pack rat. It was close to a year before I chose to add a bank tab (sale). Other than the backlog of ascended mats or BLTC chest drops, what are you using your bank to store? Especially when every character can cheaply have 80 slots. And that’s not counting the “cheap” 50 slots for non bound items you can have in a personal guild.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

How to go completely off topic… still I will bite

Guess you thought having no subscription fee every month meant you cud play the game and have everything you want on top of it as well for nothing.
Though in fairness nothing you have said, you really have to pay for, just a bit of time in game, saving ya copper then xfer it for gems and buy the upgrades.. not difficult.
Otherwise whip out moms credit card and support the game and buy it.. its a matter of choice, your not forced to spend any money on anything if you don’t want to.

Back on topic… its still all very slow in GW2 land.. guild related stuff can take an ages to appear.. in fact even being in a guild can take some time to become true
TP is slow (but that’s nothing new).
Only thing I would say is avoid putting stuff in/taking stuff out of guild banks.. seems things go missing for an awfully long time .. still waiting for some Mithril and elder wood I took out almost 30 mins ago now.. beginning to think someone stole the Mithril to sell on and the elder wood to sift through for Foxfires.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Baltov.9608

Baltov.9608

I donno if I will get in trouble for saying this but I hope the FBI sprays military grade mace on the members of the LizardSquads bhole

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Johnathan Ralston.5871

Johnathan Ralston.5871

Either the FBI doesn’t care or they can’t do anything about it. These attacks happen all the time, but when was the last time you heard about an arrest?

Gotta track them down yourself if you want something done about it.

Actually a member of the Anonymous hacktivist group was tried and found guilty for an online crime against a tissue company. He/she received 6 months probation, 60 hours of community service and a fine of well over $100,000.

It is illegal to perform cyber crimes in the US unlike many other countries who do not have laws about such things. (Japan)

Not sure if this next part is true or not but BAM https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101222201921AA4dj8z

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Blades of Sabatine.5639

Blades of Sabatine.5639

Right now, the guild chat is either that dam slow or they have taken it offline.
I am getting am “You are not in a guild” message when I try to write in guild chat.

The lag is bad, but now no guild chat,

What next to go?

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: corin.1298

corin.1298

Looks like it’s happening again today.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

It would be nice if a DDOS Protection mechanism was used?
http://www.prolexic.com ??

There seems to be plenty of vendors willing to supply these services.
Its a shame that there is a need for these services in the first place.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Niyati.4215

Niyati.4215

Ya..another lame attack. Was waiting on an organized teq map, TP wasn’t loading then it crashed.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

The assumption that this guy that is “claiming” credit for this is actually causing it is a pretty big leap. Anything he puts up as PROOF he is doing this is evidence for any prosecution he faces in the future. Either he is trolling everyone and has nothing to do with it (or has some inside info and is using it to fake his control of it) or he is just pretty stupid (in terms of being “covert” about his activities).

Has Anet even acknowledged any DDOS attacks lately? The did do this a few weeks back so there is no reason for them not to do so now if that is actually what is going on.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

The assumption that this guy that is “claiming” credit for this is actually causing it is a pretty big leap. Anything he puts up as PROOF he is doing this is evidence for any prosecution he faces in the future. Either he is trolling everyone and has nothing to do with it (or has some inside info and is using it to fake his control of it) or he is just pretty stupid (in terms of being “covert” about his activities).

Has Anet even acknowledged any DDOS attacks lately? The did do this a few weeks back so there is no reason for them not to do so now if that is actually what is going on.

some one was telling me that police(or any group that deals with crime, FBI and such), cant legally use what he is saying on certain social networking sites, but im not 100% on that.

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

The big problem with DDoS attacks would be that current methods of mitigating them are difficult, and requires both the participation of the game developer, and the ISPs. Even if the developers do everything to minimize DDoS effects, it’s on the ISP’s end to shutdown attack sources.

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

The big problem with DDoS attacks would be that current methods of mitigating them are difficult, and requires both the participation of the game developer, and the ISPs. Even if the developers do everything to minimize DDoS effects, it’s on the ISP’s end to shutdown attack sources.

It doesnt work that way, you cant just ‘shut down’ the attack. You can only proxy relay it to a faster connection and let the attack settle there.

But even when that does happen, the transports (ATT, Level3, Verizon) are still affected and you may still have issues getting to the service in question (in this case GW2)

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

It makes me wonder how much ‘bandwidth’ is available and if a lot of our ‘lags’ have been DDOS attempts before in the past.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

Another DDOS attack?

Posted by: Ragnar the Rock.3174

Ragnar the Rock.3174

Really I wouldn’t expect the government to do anything.

Assuming the scumbags are even in the US.

If they are in another country then there is absolutely 0.0% chance anything will be done to stop it legally.

If NCstoft were to show some balls and trace the twitter accounts of the people taking credit for it however they could simply make said persons name publicly known & wait for “Karmic” justice to happen.