Anybody else had this?

Anybody else had this?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Abeezil.2936

Abeezil.2936

Q:

Bought GW2 Heroic in January and installed it and played. I had a Logitech keyboard, brand new. A couple of months later my characters would not move in response to the keyboard with the w, a, s, and d keys. I put in a request for help, got a reply telling me how to repair the game and did that, but it didn’t work So I bought a Microsoft keyboard and it worked fine.

Then after about a month the whole thing started again. Put in another request but in the meantime I uninstalled the game, reinstalled it and it worked fine. I let Support know and they said in effect ‘If your problem’s solved we’ll close the file’.

Now it happens regularly, sometimes after half an hour or it might be a couple of days or a week. And if I repair, nothing changes. Uninstalling and reinstalling makes it work for a period of time (as above) but then it quits again. Sometimes uninstalling and reinstalling makes no difference, so I have to repeat the process. Sometimes if I exit the game and leave it overnight, it will work again. But then (I can tell when it’s starting because the character slows and sort of stumbles and doesn’t respond well) it stops again. Other keys work OK (Enter, f, etc.). Nothing else installed on my computer has failed to work with either keyboard.

I am baffled and frustrated. I can hardly play the game at all. I spend more time messing about with uninstalling and reinstalling again. In desperation I hooked up the Logitech keyboard, but no change. On one of the installs I used my husband’s copy with my key code, but no difference. I’m running Windows 7 64 bit. I can play other games (Rift, World of Warcraft)( and they work fine.

Any suggestions?

Anybody else had this?

Posted by: Arkrath.1407

Arkrath.1407

Have you tried using a different USB slot? Are you using any form of macro’s and or software related to teh keyboard? It might be clashing with gw2.

Anybody else had this?

Abeezil.2936

No, nothing like that. Only the related install software for each keyboard. I did, somewhere in the whole mess, uninstall and reinstall the software for each. But of course, this problem comes with both keyboards, made by two different suppliers and I can’t quite imagine it’s related to that software. I remain baffled and disappointed.

Anybody else had this?

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Sounds also like an USB problem to me. Try other port, update drivers for your chipset, look for BIOS update. If all doesn’t help you may need a new mainboard.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Anybody else had this?

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

If you are using a keyboard that needs special software to run ( I know as I have a logitech gaming keyboard myself) are you checking that you have enough memory, as I have noticed that the longer GW2 client is open the more memory it hogs ( I use win 8.1 btw) and I keep System Monitor open to track ..

Maybe look to see if anything else memory intensive is open too, like yahoo IM or such or too many IE / chrome windows / tabs open as low memory can also cause your issue …….

Anybody else had this?

Abeezil.2936

I’ve investigated and/or tried all suggestions without success, so am now sort of resigned to having it as an ongoing problem if I want to play. I’ve updated, swapped USB ports, the whole works. I had a friend who’s a computer programmer who alo builds computers have a look at it and he’s baffled too, but did say (and this sounds like the most reasonable) that it may well be the way lag sort of builds up as you play this game, although I have more than enough memory. I was lucky enough yesterday to be able to play for two hours. I guess I’ll just keep on uninstalling and reinstalling daily. I’ve become rather organised about it all and do it during mealtime or when I’m doing housework, so it’s a bit less inconvenient.

Anybody else had this?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I’m still convinced this is an issue where some other piece of software on this system is causing a conflict with the hey bindings (enabling hot keys, or some such other keyboard tomfoolery).

Just for grins and giggles. Build a new user on that system and try to run the game from that login (temporarily) to see if the problem arises then. If not, you have some sort of infection or background program associated with your current user profile that is causing the issue. Again, just a wild shot in the dark.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Anybody else had this?

Abeezil.2936

No, my ‘computer guru’ specifically checked conflicts with anything at all and there was nothing. However, I have now bought a wired keyboard (think I’m supporting the keyboard industry singlehanded) and it works just fine. So I remain baffled but happy at least that it’s stopped causing me problems. The keyboard is connected to the same USB port the wireless one’s hub was, so who knows….. These things are sent to try us. :-]]

Anybody else had this?

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Wait, you didn’t tell us you were using a wireless keyboard… There was probably some interference nearby that caused all your problems, or possibly some really bad batteries that couldn’t hold a charge.

If you would have told us you had a wireless keyboard we would have immediately suspected both the batteries and the wireless nature of it. Wireless things have a limited spectrum they can use, you probably have a dozen things in your house that use the same frequency which was causing your problems.

Anybody else had this?

Abeezil.2936

You’re right, I should have said that. I guess I assumed pretty well everybody had those these days. But I’m talking about two different brands of wireless keyboards. And the issue with both was so GW2-specific. I could play other MMORPGs, use various programs, all sorts of things.

Plus the fact that my husband has exactly the same computer. The two of them were made by the same company at the same time with identical hardware. He has the same software and programs installed. He’s using a Logitech wireless keyboard identical to the first one I had. So I dunno. But it works fine now and that’s all I needed and wanted. :-))

Anybody else had this?

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

It sounds to me like your local.dat file is getting corrupted some how, this file store all the client’s setting. This file is located in C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2. Since this it a set location on your hard drive I would suspect that your hard drive is the issue. When was the last time you have run scandisk and defrag. if this drive is an SSD Drive then check the manufacturers web site for the correct utility app to check that drive Do Not run scandisk and defrag on an SSD Drive. Also do you let anyone else play the game on your PC maybe they are changing the keyboard setting in the game.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Anybody else had this?

Posted by: ikereid.4637

ikereid.4637

You’re right, I should have said that. I guess I assumed pretty well everybody had those these days. But I’m talking about two different brands of wireless keyboards. And the issue with both was so GW2-specific. I could play other MMORPGs, use various programs, all sorts of things.

Plus the fact that my husband has exactly the same computer. The two of them were made by the same company at the same time with identical hardware. He has the same software and programs installed. He’s using a Logitech wireless keyboard identical to the first one I had. So I dunno. But it works fine now and that’s all I needed and wanted. :-))

You do know that those Logitech wireless keyboards/mice share channels unless you resync them yea?

Its VERY likely that your keyboard and his keyboard are having a wireless signal conflict somewhere. To get around it, you need to download the connect.exe tool from logitech.com and resync your keyboard and mice on both workstations until the conflicts go away.

Desktop: 4790k@4.6ghz-1.25v, AMD 295×2, 32GB 1866CL10 RAM, 850Evo 500GB SSD
Laptop: M6600 – 2720QM, AMD HD6970M, 32GB 1600CL9 RAM, Arc100 480GB SSD

Anybody else had this?

Abeezil.2936

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. Most of the suggestions and whatnot were done by the guy here who lent me a hand, my computer guru. Nothing made a difference. The HD is about 3 months old, I only play games on this PC and do correspondence and whatnot on the laptop. And all the hardware is working fine, drivers up date, all that stuff. But since I installed the wired keyboard, it’s fine, so I’m not going to worry any more. Your suggestions and help are much appreciated.

Anybody else had this?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

There is also the possibilty that some other electronic device near your computer (or the keyboard) is causing some sort of interference with the wireless keyboard connection. Is it RF or Bluetooth? Usual suspects are external HDs, other gaming hardware (even if it’s wired) or even a phone or cell phone docking station (especially a wireless charger rig).

The other option is a defective keyboard…..swap just the keyboard with your husband and then try swapping the USB receiver and see if the problem follows the hardware.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Anybody else had this?

Abeezil.2936

Keyboard swapping was one of the first things we tried. Anyhow, all works well now, so I’m not going to worry any more.