Anyone else having d/c issues with bosses?

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: AegisRunestone.8672

AegisRunestone.8672

I got d/ced from Teq today, and then 2 hours later, from Golem Mark II. I had a group for Mark II, and I was able to return to the original map when it was almost dead, and… I didn’t get any credit.

Is anyone else having d/c issues when fighting a world boss?

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Not lately. /e knock ancient wood plank

The table is a fable.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I’ve disconnected from the silverwastes final event chain (breach and vinewraith both) which is unusual for me.

I checked the logs on my router and I was the victim of a DDoS attack both times.

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

I noticed that if you’re on the world boss train, and constantly changing maps, the game’s memory use builds up considerably, till it reaches a limit where the computer says ‘game over’ and crashes, thereby resetting things. I suspect it’s partly a case of graphics card setting. Lower them a bit and you’ll do better. You can also simply reboot before going to big events where you often crash (for me Taidha, Megadestroyer and Teq).

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

It has to do with how much RAM and processor speed you have.

I used to crash constantly on Teq even on minimum settings. Upgraded my processor and RAM two weeks ago and haven’t had a single crash yet even with playing on max settings now. (Didn’t change my graphics card)

Not sure which one is the bigger issue, but I replaced both so it has to be one of them.

AegisRunestone.8672

Yeah, but I’ve been playing GW2 for YEARS. Since 2012 or 2013. I’ve been doing world bosses for over a year now and this is the first time it’s happened. :/ Though, I have noticed my fan is not keeping my computer cool. Could that be a problem?

Also, I’ve heard about a memory leak problem going around? Is that still an issue?

(edited by AegisRunestone.8672)

Broom.2561

I used to crash constantly on Teq even on minimum settings. Upgraded my processor and RAM two weeks ago and haven’t had a single crash yet even with playing on max settings now. (Didn’t change my graphics card)

Not sure which one is the bigger issue, but I replaced both so it has to be one of them.

Nope, that’s not true. The problem isn’t that YOU don’t have enough RAM (I have 12GB and a high-end video card), it’s that the MMO software is a 32-bits system, that can only utilize a fraction of that. I always crash well before the game process reaches 3.2 GB RAM use.

Broom.2561

Yeah, but I’ve been playing GW2 for YEARS. Since 2012 or 2013. I’ve been doing world bosses for over a year now and this is the first time it’s happened. :/ Though, I have noticed my fan is not keeping my computer cool. Could that be a problem?

Also, I’ve heard about a memory leak problem going around? Is that still an issue?

Lack of cooling is known to be a cause for diminished performance and crashes. Cleaning the inside of the PC may help, but it might also be you simply need new (or extra) fans. Or a video card with it’s own fan.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I’ve got 3GB of RAM and an nvidia 8400GS video card in a 2006 Dell XPS 400, and boss fights are generally DC free for me (although for Maw and Karka Queen I have to aim the camera at the ground, or my frames per second become seconds per frame). If I do DC, it almost always happens after I’ve done several world boss fights in a row and I’m in the process of zoning to the next one.

Except for a couple of weeks ago when I was DC’ing regularly at boss fights along with just about everyone else, due to a bug which has since been fixed. Well, for me, anyway.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

I haven’t been disconnecting, but I have been experiencing internet lag only during the world boss fights. Once the fight ends, my connection restores to normal.

The effects of this are I try to use a skill and it takes 3-5 seconds before it actually activates. Sometimes I have to spam the skill to get it to even trigger.

I’m running with 2GB video memory, 8 GB RAM, 3.4 GHz processor, and I typically can get ~20 fps on boss fights with maximum settings. Lowering the graphics settings does not change this.

AegisRunestone.8672

Lack of cooling is known to be a cause for diminished performance and crashes. Cleaning the inside of the PC may help, but it might also be you simply need new (or extra) fans. Or a video card with it’s own fan.

I cleaned out my fan with some air-duster for computers. I have a laptop, so I can’t really go in and fully clean the fan. Also, the fan has been making weird noises for the past year… I think I need a new computer, but I can’t afford it.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Nope, that’s not true. The problem isn’t that YOU don’t have enough RAM (I have 12GB and a high-end video card), it’s that the MMO software is a 32-bits system, that can only utilize a fraction of that. I always crash well before the game process reaches 3.2 GB RAM use.

Not sure what to tell you…

Old processor + 4GB RAM = crashed every 20-30 minutes.

New processor + 16GB RAM = haven’t crashed in 3 weeks

Didn’t change anything else, so it obviously was caused by one of those 2 things, or the combination of them.

Posted by: Ampa.2749

Ampa.2749

A few DCs the past week, but more significantly I’ve had two client crashes the past few days. Seems to be in boss fights. I get the “send report to Anet” dialog and have to restart client. Today it went into a sound loop before crashing. My computer has 16 GB of memory, new GPU, and 4 dual core processors.

Guardian, Engineer, Elementalist, Mesmer, Thief, Necro

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

I’m running with 2GB video memory, 8 GB RAM, 3.4 GHz processor, and I typically can get ~20 fps on boss fights with maximum settings. Lowering the graphics settings does not change this.

Specific specs are much more useful then RAM amounts and processor speed; those numbers are completely irrelevant without knowing what parts you actually have in your computer.

Ampa

My computer has… 4 dual core processors.

What?

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

(edited by Fermi.2409)

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

It tends to be the amount of effects, and the system trying to cope with the load, to reduce load lower the quality and quantity of p[layers in view using wvw settings, it culls the amount of players and effects so you need less power to keep viewing.

Your systems capacity also goes down when the system is running hot. If your computer’s location’s ambient temperature rises, the system tends to have more problems removing excess vheat… (this is a very important problem to consider with high performance spec low and mid-end laptops, especially if you do not clean the ventilation often, in this situation a cooling stand may aid you. and of course cleaning the vents/cooling system…

Also having OC components should make your system more volatile, and will make instability occur more often when ambient temperature rises (when OC-ing a system in winter based on air cooling you’ll notice you will have more problems in summer.

Sometimes the heat load can be reduced by limiting FPS. I’ll leave this up to you.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

The effects of this are I try to use a skill and it takes 3-5 seconds before it actually activates. Sometimes I have to spam the skill to get it to even trigger.

That’s the server buckling under the weight of so many actions happening in one spot. It’s the reason Keep Lord Room fights in WvW are horrendously lag filled clusterkittens where you will die because your heal won’t activate when you press the key and why even hypothetical space computers from the future get terrible frame rates during Maw.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Broom.2561

Not sure what to tell you…

Old processor + 4GB RAM = crashed every 20-30 minutes.

New processor + 16GB RAM = haven’t crashed in 3 weeks

Didn’t change anything else, so it obviously was caused by one of those 2 things, or the combination of them.

Let’s just say it’s my work, shall we? Trust me, it’s not the amount of RAM in the system that’s causing the issue.

The fact you got a new processor may be your particular explanation. A new processor generally means different drivers. The manufacturer can make a big difference too… AMD is for instance notorious for not supporting some of the newer graphics developments.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I got d/ced from Teq today, and then 2 hours later, from Golem Mark II. I had a group for Mark II, and I was able to return to the original map when it was almost dead, and… I didn’t get any credit.

Is anyone else having d/c issues when fighting a world boss?

There was a rash of it awhile ago. A whole bunch of us got disconnected as soon as we were done with the daily (the shatterer), lost our loot, still had that daily in our todo list, and were where we were before going there … which looked like a rollback of some sort.

I am guessing it has to do with too many characters in the same place but I had never seen it happen before with many people all in a boss fight. Maybe something changed on the servers (and/or their network) that is more sensitive to that?

Menadena.7482

I noticed that if you’re on the world boss train, and constantly changing maps, the game’s memory use builds up considerably, till it reaches a limit where the computer says ‘game over’ and crashes, thereby resetting things. I suspect it’s partly a case of graphics card setting. Lower them a bit and you’ll do better. You can also simply reboot before going to big events where you often crash (for me Taidha, Megadestroyer and Teq).

Yes, I used to have major crashes until I worked out it was graphics settings and drastically lowered them. I keep meaning to work out which one(s) I can safely raise again but I am having way to much fun.

A crash with a rollback though is a different issue, which only started happening recently. That speaks to a server-side problem.

Menadena.7482

The fan could be a problem. Your cpu and gpu will be overheating and causing all sorts of fun problems.

What was strange for me when the graphics-related settings started to happen was that it had been working fine with crowded events beforehand. It was not an old machine either so it was not that the memory requirements or whatever had grown too large for me to handle.

Menadena.7482

BTW, for more data, my machine is fully specced out. It is an iMac, so that means putting up with cider and an underpowered nvidia though. I would not try to put it against custom gaming rigs but it is more than a match for the average PC people use and have no problems with. Get a load of some of the specs:

late model machine
The fastest CPU and GPU apple offers in iMacs
24 GB of memory
SSD boot drive
3 GB hard drive

not relevant to operation: a huge monitor and multiple backup systems

After finding a bug in the OS I was able to get to tier 2 support (yes, I got the person’s direct contact info) and was told not to tell the genius bar what I wanted to do because it was not ‘officially’ doable (even though we both agreed it would work). Ironically the solution, which I knew in advance, was in an old version of the OS that I did not have a copy of at the time. I sort of know what I am doing.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

That’s the server buckling under the weight of so many actions happening in one spot. It’s the reason Keep Lord Room fights in WvW are horrendously lag filled clusterkittens where you will die because your heal won’t activate when you press the key and why even hypothetical space computers from the future get terrible frame rates during Maw.

Okay. I didn’t think it was on my end, but I wasn’t sure.

Fermi, I believe my info is:
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX770 2GB DDR5
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4 GHz 6MB LGA 1150 clock speed
RAM: Kingston KVR16N11/8 1 × 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3 non-ECC CL11 DIMM
I also have GW2 installed through my SSD as opposed to my HDD.

I don’t have any more information beyond that right now. Like I said though, it runs flawlessly elsewhere and even works almost immediately after the boss fight ends.

AegisRunestone.8672

I haven’t had any problems since. Well, I d/ced once yesterday, but I think that wasn’t during a World Boss. That was my router deciding to reset itself. :P