Artwork commissions for in-game gold

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: duckgirl.8769

duckgirl.8769

Is it allowed?

I love to create character artwork for players, and I have done it for players in other MMOs, but I don’t want to get banned for it in GW2 in case it’s not allowed. I have not found any online discussion on the matter, so I would like to have it clarified to be sure.

I don’t know what I would do with my life if I got banned from this game!

Thank you!

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

You can wait for the offical answer, but I believe you’ll find it’s not allowed. One option that would probably be allowed is if they paid you with gem cards. Then you could convert the gems to gold.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Although Arenanet loves and promotes fan made artwork. The problem with this however is that it is not allowed to trade an ingame item (gold)for a service outside the game (artwork).

How can anet check if you delivered the artwork to that person??? They could easily claim that you never delivered artwork, but that you delivered US dollars.

Simplesimon’s tip bout the gemcards is the best solution here.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Unless you take ingame money in some way, how would ANet even know you have an art business on the side in real life? Unless you are doing it for free, just handle it like any online business where you discuss it outside the game by email.

Posted by: Veeber.3192

Veeber.3192

It’s against the rules to sell RL services/items for in game money, just like it’s against the rules to sell in game money/items/services for RL items/money.

Since you have asked on here, be sure that the mods will be looking at your account for this.

EDIT: Side note, you could use paypal. It’s both safe and easy to use on both sides and you get the wraith of anet.

(edited by Veeber.3192)

Posted by: duckgirl.8769

duckgirl.8769

Using Paypal would be wronger, no? Because the artist would be making RL money off Anet’s copyrighted artwork. I also wonder why none of the commission threads in the forum are being closed.

I hope to get a clear official answer soon.

Thanks all!

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Hmmm. Since you are making art from what you see, not using say prints of Guild Wars 2 art and selling it as though you owned it, pretty sure that’s legal. Surely a company doesn’t have rights to art you make, that would mean that people would be prohibited from taking pictures of coke bottles for example and selling them.

For example: Andy Warhol made art of Campbell soup cans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell's_Soup_Cans

And here, people have WoW based art.
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/community/fanart/

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Hmmm. Since you are making art from what you see, not using say prints of Guild Wars 2 art and selling it as though you owned it, pretty sure that’s legal. Surely a company doesn’t have rights to art you make, that would mean that people would be prohibited from taking pictures of coke bottles for example and selling them.

For example: Andy Warhol made art of Campbell soup cans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell's_Soup_Cans

And here, people have WoW based art.
http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/community/fanart/

Let’s be clear. Copyrights are a very serious matter and saying “you’re selling what you see” isn’t the way that copyright infringement is determined. For instance, I can’t “see” Star Wars and then start selling my own action figures based on Han and Darth. And please note that we host a Fan-Generated Content Froum where this sort of project can be offered for view.

The question is about selling work based on our intellectual property. Please wait for a more formal answer to your question, duckgirl, and thank you for asking. (In the interim, I will lock this thread.)

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)